W E U N D E R S T A N D W H A T Y O U ’ R E W O R K I N G F O RS M
Principal Life Insurance Company Des Moines, Iowa 50392-0001
This information is believed to be accurate and authoritative in regard to the subject matter covered. The accuracy of the information is not guaranteed and is provided with the understanding that Principal Life is not rendering legal, accounting or tax advice.
In specific cases clients should consult their legal, accounting or tax advisors.
Insurance issued by Principal Life Insurance Company, a member of the Principal Financial Group®, Des Moines, IA 50392.
Principal Annuity LegacySM
W H Y P R I N C I P A L A N N U I T Y L E G A C YS M?
The Problem . . . .3
The Motivation . . . .4
H O W P R I N C I P A L A N N U I T Y L E G A C Y W O R K S Description of the Concept . . . .5
Ideal Client Profile . . . .5
Basic Process Steps . . . .6
Different Annuity Scenarios and Process Steps . . . .6
Hypothetical Example of Principal Annuity Legacy . . . .8
T H E C O M P L E T E S A L E S P R O C E S S Pre-Sale . . . .9
Client Presentation . . . .10
Submitting the Case . . . .10
Administrative Services . . . .10
B E N E F I T S O F W O R K I N G W I T H P R I N C I P A L L I F E I N S U R A N C E C O M P A N Y For Your Client Peace of Mind . . . .11
Complete Support Services . . . .11
Competitive Products . . . .11
Simplified Underwriting . . . .11
For You Sales and Marketing Tools . . . .11
Service and Support . . . .11
Electronic Information . . . .11
P R O D U C T I N F O R M A T I O N Principal Universal Life ProtectorSM(UL Protector) Insurance Product Policy Facts . . . .12
Single Premium Immediate Annuity (SPIA) Policy Facts . . . .13
Principal Annuity LegacySMis a
tax-efficient program that provides your clients the opportunity to help build a stronger financial legacy for the next generation by utilizing the purchase of life insurance with an annuity payout stream. This concept helps avoid the double taxation problems that annuities have if left in an estate.
T H E P R O B L E M – T A X A T I O N O F A N N U I T I E S I N S I D E O F A N E S T A T E
According to a recent LIMRA study, it has been found that 33% of all investors have an annuity in their portfolio. And, 88% of these annuities are passed on to the next generation at the owner’s death.
Annuities could be subject to the following taxes at the death of their owner:
• Estate Taxes – The entire value of an annuity is included in the owner’s taxable estate and can be subject to a federal estate tax rate of up to 49% in 2003. In addition, state inheritance or estate taxes may also apply.
• Income Taxes – Any earnings accumulated in the annuity, less the deduction for estate tax paid on the gain, is taxable as ordinary income, either to the owner’s estate – or to the annuity’s beneficiary.
A Hypothetical Example
A 75-year-old may have an annuity currently worth $1,000,000, which was purchased for $750,000 several years ago. If this annuity is held for another 15 years until the death of its owner, at a 5% annual rate of growth it will be worth $2,078,928.
However, if both the estate and income tax rate is 35%, the after tax value to the owner’s heirs is $1,048,972!
ANNUITY AT DEATH IN 15 YEARS
Principal Annuity Legacy?
$1,048,972 $727,625 $302,331 Income Tax Estate Tax Net Annuity Value After Tax
A N O T H E R P R O B L E M – T A X A T I O N O F Q U A L I F I E D P L A N S I N S I D E A N E S T A T E
Many high net worth individuals accumulate significant money inside a qualified plan. The use of Principal Annuity Legacy, (or similar concept) can provide significant tax benefits since the entire qualified plan is generally subject to income tax.
T H E M O T I V A T I O N – M A X I M I Z E T H E V A L U E O F T H E L E G A C Y T O H E I R S
Your clients will be interested in the Principal Annuity Legacy concept because they are concerned about the financial legacy they are leaving to the next generation. These clients are willing to incur some upfront tax costs to help secure the financial futures of their beneficiaries and avoid unnecessary taxes later.
And, your clients will be interested in this solution from Principal Life because of our complete turnkey package that helps meet their needs – and the needs of the next generation. We’ve made the process quick, easy and convenient. Principal Annuity Legacy provides:
• Our Competitive Principal Universal Life ProtectorSM (UL Protector) insurance
policy with lapse protection – allowing clients additional peace of mind knowing that their policy is guaranteed to last a lifetime.
• Competitive fixed period Single
Premium Immediate Annuity (SPIA) –
payments would be available to finance the UL premium.
• Administrative Convenience – our unique administrative services seamlessly withhold the tax on the fixed period SPIA and transfers the after-tax amount directly to fund the UL Protector policy! (When both the UL Protector policy and fixed period SPIA are purchased from Principal Life.)
• A simplified underwriting process – our TeleApp underwriting process guarantees that you will be underwritten in a fast, efficient and simple manner.
To implement Principal Annuity Legacy, a UL Protector insurance policy from Principal Life is purchased using values from the client’s SPIA to pay premiums. The SPIA was purchased using the client’s original deferred annuity. Please note that it is imperative that your client will not need their deferred annuity for their retirement years.
I D E A L C L I E N T
Principal Annuity Legacy is not a solution for everyone. Those that need Principal Annuity Legacy fit the following profile: • Annuity owner is financially full and
does not need the annuity to meet financial needs in retirement.
• Has an estate of at least $1 million and will pass financial underwriting. • Older individual near or in retirement
(typically, ages 60 to 85).
• Is insurable at least as a standard risk. • Has a potential estate tax issue.
• Heirs will be in a high income tax bracket. • Wants to transfer wealth to heirs. • Would like to reduce potentially high
combined income and estate taxes on their existing annuity.
B A S I C S T E P S O F P R I N C I P A L A N N U I T Y L E G A C Y
1. Validate the customer is suitable for Principal Annuity Legacy (using the ideal client criteria).
2. Prepare a Principal Annuity Legacy Worksheet to determine best structure. (See sample on page 8.) Run appropriate UL Protector insurance and SPIA illustrations.
3. Determine the best funding vehicle for the life insurance premium. For more information, please refer to the Annuity Funding Options section on page 6. 4. Client purchases a UL Protector policy
from Principal Life. It is important to fund the policy at levels that provide guaranteed lifetime protection with lapse protection. This ensures lifetime coverage and fulfillment of the intentions of the policy owner. The premium payment period should match the duration of the fixed period SPIA. 5. Structure the life insurance ownership
so it is not part of the estate. Often an Irrevocable Life Insurance Trust (ILIT) is used and premiums are part of a gift to trust beneficiaries. It is ideal to work with your client’s tax advisor to make the appropriate arrangements. 6. A portion of the payments made from
the immediate annuity are subject to income taxes. If your client chooses, Principal Life can set up a process that withholds the tax from their payment – helping avoid any out-of-pocket expenses. 7. Upon death, your client’s heirs receive
the death benefit from the life
insurance policy income tax free and, if structured properly, free of estate tax. If death occurs during the SPIA payout period, the remainder of the SPIA will provide additional benefits to heirs, but is still subject to estate and income taxes. The process for your client at a glance:
1Once the annuity payments begin, they cannot be changed and you give up control of the principal in your account.
2Gift tax consequences should be reviewed by your tax advisor. Annual gifts over a certain amount may be considered taxable gifts.
3The lifetime lapse protection feature can be applied on a limited pay basis with outstanding underwriting. 4To keep insurance out of the estate, the insurance
should be a third party, such as an Irrevocable Trust. If owned by a third party, gift-tax issues should be considered.
A N N U I T Y F U N D I N G O P T I O N S
There are several annuity funding options available for Principal Annuity Legacy. Highlighted below are two options that work the best with this concept: 1. Fixed immediate annuities (often the
• Use the deferred annuity proceeds to purchase a fixed period SPIA (or supplemental contract if the deferred annuity is a Principal Life contract).
• Options considered are usually 5- or 10-year fixed periods and occasionally 20-year. The 5-pay option usually provides the most life insurance face amount using a UL Protector with lapse protection to age 100 and a premium payment period that corresponds to the SPIA payment period.
Client decides that:
1. They do not need their Single Premium Deferred Annuity (SPDA) for retirement income,
2. They meet the Principal Annuity Legacy prospecting characteristics and 3. They qualify for life insurance at
You purchase a fixed period Single Premium Immediate Annuity (SPIA)
from Principal Life1
Purchase UL Protector3
Income taxes are withheld and the
net annuity payment buys life
Life insurance death benefit income tax free to beneficiaries4
• This approach provides the most funding for the life insurance policy compared to other options available for the annuity cash value. 2. Partial withdrawals from deferred
annuity (not the preferred approach)
• Used to minimize any surrender charges that are still in place but are taxed on a gain out first basis (LIFO). Other annuity funding options are also available for your clients, but have some significant drawbacks. Highlighted below are two of these additional funding options:
1. Single pay
• Surrender current annuity, pay tax on gain and purchase single pay life.
2. Life annuity
• Use proceeds to purchase a Single Premium Immediate Annuity with payments available for life. • In order to avoid concerns on
jeopardizing the status of the UL Protector policy as life insurance, clients should not purchase a straight life annuity and life product from the same insurance company. • The use of a period-certain provision
in the life annuity should address this issue but may dramatically reduce the payout and limit the premium available to purchase life insurance.
U S I N G T H E P R I N C I P A L A N N U I T Y L E G A C Y W O R K S H E E T
A worksheet is available to demonstrate the mechanics of Principal Annuity Legacy to your clients.
Depending on your situation, there are two versions available for use.
1 – Principal Life Version
It is crucial that before using the Principal Life worksheet version, you download the most up-to-date version. SPIA payouts may change every two weeks, please make sure you download the correct version before using with a client.
This worksheet assumes Principal Single Premium Fixed Annuity is used to fund the UL Protector insurance policy and inputs current SPIA rates automatically. This worksheet is available via Principal eFinancial ProfessionalSM (eFP) (Life
Insurance, Sales & Marketing, Personal Solutions, Estate Strategies, Principal Annuity Legacy) or online at
2 – Version B:
Requires input of the after-tax annuity amount. This worksheet is available on Principal eFP (Life Insurance, Sales & Marketing, Personal Solutions, Estate Strategies, Principal Annuity Legacy) or online at principal.com/annuitylegacy. Please refer to the next page for a sample worksheet and section descriptions.
Name 0 Age 70
Underwriting classification SP Smoking NS Estimated income tax rate 20% Estimated federal estate tax rate 20% Years to death 15 Current annuity value $2,000,000 Cost basis $1,000,000 Annuity growth rate 5.0% Years to pay premium 5
Annuity value $4,157,856 Estate tax cost $831,571 Income tax deduction $631,571 for estate tax
Income tax cost $505,257 Net value after income
and estate tax $2,821,028
Purchase of life insurance
$397,870 Before tax SPIA payment
$39,574 Tax on SPIA
$358,296 After tax SPIA payment $82.75 UL Protector prem per thousand $4,329,807 UL Protector face amount
After-tax benefit to heirs $1,508,779
Additional benefit to heirs using Principal Annuity Legacy program Principal Annuity LegacySM
This section quickly identifies the differences between the annuity growth model and the purchase of life insurance model.
This section is the “Purchase of life insurance” and shows the after-tax amount of the annuity payment and the amount of UL Protector policy with lapse protection it will purchase.
Not valid unless by complete UL Protector insurance and Single Premium Immediate Annuity illustrations.
SPIA Policy Form #SF244/SF245/SF725 Insurance issued by UL Protector policy form.
Principal Life Insurance Company
Amount paid for annuity.
Match SPIA payment and premium payments. (This input is not needed in the Principal version where
the SPIA payment is automatically calculated.) This is the “Annuity
growth” section and shows the growth of the annuity based on the time period and interest rate you select. This section also shows income and estate tax consequences based on tax rates you enter.
Highlighted below are the steps and materials available to help guide you through the sales process. All documents are available through the
Principal eFP (Life Insurance, Sales & Marketing, Personal Solutions, Estate Strategies, Principal Annuity Legacy).
P R E S A L E
1. Determine if the customer is a suitable prospect. Characteristics include an individual between the ages of 60 and 85, has an estate of at least a million dollars with significant liquid assets, is financially full and doesn’t need the deferred annuity for income now or in the future, is insurable at standard rates, and is concerned about maximizing their legacy for their heirs.
2. Provide the customer the Client Brochure (BB 9107) that helps explain Principal Annuity Legacy. Obtain the necessary information to complete the worksheet. If necessary, utilize the Principal Annuity Legacy Fact Finder (BB 9112-3).
3. Prepare the Principal Annuity Legacy worksheet that is customizable for your client. Access the worksheet from
Principal eFP. Use the worksheet to evaluate the value of the concept for your client.
If appropriate, run the appropriate Single Premium Immediate Annuity (SPIA) and UL Protector insurance illustrations. Our model is based on a 5-year fixed period SPIA with the after-tax amount being used to pay premiums on a UL Protector funded with lapse protection to 100 levels.*
4. Prepare client presentation package in folder (BB 9105-1). Include customized worksheet, assumptions page, illustrations, Client Point-of-Sale Flyer (BB 9109-1), Informal Inquiry DD 2020-2, annuity application and required state replacement forms, sample Irrevocable Life Insurance Trust (ILIT) agreement and Business Market Administration submission checklist.
Principal Annuity Legacy
C L I E N T P R E S E N T A T I O N
5. Complete the sale using the material in your presentation package. Explain the underwriting process to your customer. Obtain the name of their legal advisor in order to draft a trust agreement and execute the ILIT.
S U B M I T T I N G T H E C A S E
6. The Principal Annuity Legacy applications must be submitted to Business Market Administration at the address shown on the bottom of the case submission checklist so that the case flows smoothly across the annuity and life business areas. The applications can be completed using data from the Principal Annuity Legacy worksheet. The initial submission should include the following:
• Case submission checklist • Copy of worksheet • Signed Universal Life
insurance illustration • ILIT agreement • Informal Inquiry
• Single Premium Immediate Annuity application and required state replacement forms.
7. The annuity should not be put in force until the life insurance underwriting is completed and the life policy is ready to be put in force. At that time, the transfer of money to the SPIA and ultimately to the life policy can be completed.
A D M I N I S T R A T I V E S E R V I C E S
8. Business Market Administration will package the annuity and life policy for you to deliver to the customer. Tax on the Single Premium Immediate Annuity and policy values for UL Protector insurance will be reported annually to the policy owners.
R E F E R E N C E
Contact 800-654-4278, Advanced Solutions, if you have questions. All documents are available through
Principal eFP (Life Insurance, Sales & Marketing, Personal Solutions, Estate Strategies, Principal Annuity Legacy).
F O R Y O U R C L I E N T
• Peace of Mind – The next generation can maximize the investment dollars they worked so hard to save through the tax-deferred nature of life insurance. • Complete Support Services – Our
innovative process allows for seamless processing of a fixed period SPIA payment to fund the universal life insurance policy with guaranteed lifetime lapse protection. (When both the SPIA and UL Protector policies are purchased from Principal Life.) And, your clients will receive annual statements from us, keeping them updated on the status of their life insurance purchase.
• Competitive Products – Principal Life provides competitive universal life insurance policies and fixed period SPIA contracts.
• Simplified Underwriting – Our TeleApp underwriting process guarantees that you will be underwritten in a fast, efficient and simple manner.
A N D F O R Y O U :
• Sales and Marketing Tools – – Sales Process Sheet for Producers –
Outlines exactly all the tools available and the exact steps to be taken to ensure a smooth transaction. – Sales Idea for Producers – Quickly
outlines “how to play” this scenario in the marketplace.
– Client Brochure (BB 9107-1) – Helps explain the concept and the benefits derived from this tax-efficient program. – Principal Annuity Legacy Worksheet –
Quickly allows you to evaluate the concept and demonstrate to the client the benefits of Principal Annuity Legacy.
– Client Point-of-Sale Piece (BB 9109-1) – To be packaged with their customized worksheet output, this flyer quickly “sells them” again on why Principal Annuity Legacy is a concept for them! • Service and Support – Our National
Sales Desk and Advanced Solutions consultants are waiting to help you succeed. Just call 800-654-4278 with questions.
• Electronic information – Updated sales and marketing information available on Principal eFP (Life Insurance, Sales & Marketing, Personal Solutions, Estate Strategies, Principal Annuity Legacy) and www.principal.com/annuitylegacy.
of working with
P R I N C I P A L U N I V E R S A L L I F E P R O T E C T O RS M F A C T S
By choosing Principal Universal Life Protector insurance you offer: • Policies issued to age 85
• Competitively priced premiums and the flexibility to “dial-in” guarantee periods
• Age nearest birthday rates • Death Benefit Options 1, 2 and 3 • Guideline Premium Test or Cash Value
• Banded cost of insurance rates, with best rates starting at $1 million in face amount
• “Dial-in” guarantee from 10 years to age 100
• An Extended Maturity Guarantee feature that extends coverage to age 100
• A “Catch-up” provision that never terminates1
Our innovative team approach provides large case and business case expertise, competitive underwriting and top-notch service.
• Super Preferred underwriting class – nonsmoker ages 20-80
• Balanced approach to Preferred underwriting
• Automatic Standard Approval Program – applicants assessed through Class C (Table 5) will be issued Standard • TeleApp convenience
• Business Underwriting Programs – Guaranteed Issue – $25,000 minimum – Batch Underwriting
– Simplified Underwriting, Standard Decline and TeleApp
• Low cost, guaranteed protection for ages 25 to 75 across continuous, 10-pay and single pay funding scenarios
• Super Preferred premiums among the lowest available – specifically for guarantees to age 100 and continuously funded
• Surrender charges – 19 years or to age 100, whichever is less.
• Premium load
– 7% of premium of all years – Monthly administration charge
• Cost of Insurance varies by underwriting class and brand.
S I N G L E P R E M I U M I M M E D I A T E A N N U I T Y C O N T R A C T F A C T S
Single Premium Immediate Annuity (SPIA) Description
The Single Premium Immediate Annuity (SPIA) is an income annuity that begins to pay immediately (within 365 days from issue) for the time the client chooses. Clients deposit a lump-sum amount of money into contract and are guaranteed an income stream for a certain time period. These are irrevocable contracts.
The minimum contribution for the SPIA is $10,000 for qualified and nonqualified plans. The maximum contribution for new SPIA contracts is $2 million, $5 million with prior home office approval.
The SPIA does not have a stated interest rate. When the contract is issued, a payout factor is determined using several of the following variables:
• State of residence of owner (for premium tax states) • Type of payout requested
This payout factor determines the amount the client is paid. This amount and the duration of payments is guaranteed and cannot be changed. You can show the guaranteed payment a client can expect through an immediate annuity illustration on the Fixed Annuity Illustration System.
Premium tax is charged on the SPIA based on the state of residence of the owner of the contract.
SPIA has no annual administrative charges.
Available Income Options (RF 487)
• Fixed Period Income