THE CORPORATION OF THE TOWNSHIP OF SEVERN BY-LAW NO. 2016-82
BEING A BY-LAW TO PROVIDE FOR THE SALARY RATES AND RANGES OF THE EMPLOYEES OF THE CORPORATION OF THE TOWNSHIP OF SEVERN
WHEREAS the Municipal Act, S.O. 2001 (the “Act”), Section 9., provides a Municipality with the capacity, rights, powers and privileges of a natural person for the purposes of exercising its authority under this or any other Act;
AND WHEREAS the Municipal Act, S.O. 2001, Section 8.(1), provides that the Act shall be interpreted broadly so as to confer broad authority on Municipalities to enable them to govern their affairs as they consider appropriate and to enhance their ability to respond to municipal issues;
AND WHEREAS it is deemed expedient to establish salary rates and ranges for Township employees;
NOW THEREFORE THE COUNCIL OF THE CORPORATION OF THE TOWNSHIP OF SEVERN HEREBY ENACTS AS FOLLOWS:
“Chief Administrative means the Chief Administrative Officer
Officer” appointed by the Council of the Corporation of
the Township of Severn.
“Corporation” means the Corporation of the Township of
"Council" means the Council of the Corporation of the
Township of Severn.
"Employee" includes a person who performs any work for
or supplies any services to the Corporation for wages.
“Other than Full-Time includes the following employees:
Staff” part-time – annual average of 24 hours per
week or less
seasonal – not more than 16 weeks in a calendar year
temporary – fixed term of employment not to exceed one (1) year
“Replacement Worker” an employee hired to replace a permanent
employee who is off on an extended leave of absence.
2. That the hourly rates and ranges listed on Schedule “A” attached hereto and forming part of this By-law are hereby established for full-time employees of the Corporation.
3. That the hourly rates and ranges listed in Schedule “B” attached hereto and forming part of this By-law are hereby established for other than full time employees of the Corporation.
4. Employees hired by the Corporation will be paid at the Probationary Rate or in accordance with the Terms of Employment as outlined in the Employment Contract.
5. A replacement worker will be paid at a rate to be determined within the Band of the position in question and will include an additional 7% of the hourly rate added on in lieu of benefits.
6. The hourly rate in Schedule “B” includes, in lieu of benefits, an amount equaling 7% of the hourly rate added to the base hourly rate. This amount will be
applicable to the total hours worked in a pay period.
7. (a) Employees who transfer to other positions within the same Salary Band will be paid at the same step level as their former positions.
(b) Employees who transfer to a higher Salary Band position will be paid at a step level equal to or greater than their former step level position but not at Step 5 of the new Salary Band.
(c) Employees who transfer to a lower Salary Band position will be paid at a step level that equals the step level they are currently being paid at. 8. (a) The hourly rate of an employee may be increased on the
anniversary date of commencement of employment, the date of promotion or the date of transfer by one step within the applicable level until “Step 5” for the range has been reached.
(b) The Chief Administrative Officer may recommend to Council that
an employee who has completed one calendar year at Step 4 and, whose work has been judged to be exceptional in quantity and quality, be allowed to go to Step 5 of the respective Salary Band, and that Council by
resolution authorize the increment.
(c) The Chief Administrative Officer shall review job descriptions annually to ensure that the job descriptions accurately reflect the distribution of duties and responsibilities among the positions within the Corporation.
9. (a) An employee whose performance has been rated as less than satisfactory shall not be eligible for an increment increase between steps until his performance improves to a satisfactory level.
(b) The effective date of an incremental increase between steps shall be the date of improvement in performance, as determined by the Chief Administrative Officer for employees classified under Schedule “A”.
10. Employees outlined in Schedule “A”, Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 shall be eligible for compensation for time worked when authorized by an immediate Supervisor, either as:
(a) Banked Time
• less than 40 hours worked per week at 1:1 ratio • greater than 40 hours per week at a 1.5:1 ratio
• maximum number of banked hours per year will not be greater than 35 hours or 40 hours as outlined in the Corporation’s job
(b) Payment in Cost
• less than 40 hours per week worked at 1:1 ratio • greater than 40 hours per week worked at 1.5:1 ratio
Employees classified in Band 8 and 9 of Schedule “A” will not receive pay for overtime; however, they may accumulate time in lieu at a ratio of 1:1. The maximum hours allowed per calendar year is in accordance with the employees standard work week as outlined above.
Employees classified in Bands 10, 11 and 12 inclusive will not receive pay in overtime and in recognition of time spent in meetings outside normal working hours, they are granted an additional five (5) days time in lieu.
11. (a) Public Works Department employees classified in Band 2, of
Schedule “A”, because of the specialized nature of the work assigned, may be eligible for additional compensation for the time employed in the actual operation of a piece of specialized equipment provided that a minimum of 20 hours is employed in such capacity within any calendar week.
(b) The 2017 Specialized Equipment Rate is .95 cents per hour.
12. That this By-law shall come into force and effect on the 1st day of January, 2017.
13. That By-law No. 2015-94 be and it is hereby repealed.
By-law read a first and second time this 15th day of December, 2016.
By-law read a third time and finally passed this 15th day of December, 2016.
CORPORATION OF THE TOWNSHIP OF SEVERN _________________________________________ MAYOR
_________________________________________ DEPUTY CLERK
SCHEDULE “A” TO BY-LAW NO. 2016-82
BAND TITLE STEP 1 STEP 2 STEP 3 STEP 4 STEP 5
B1 Administrative Assistants 19.86 20.67 21.50 22.35 23.24
(Corporate Services) (Records Clerk)
Labourer – Public Works & Recreation
B2 Administrative Assistants 22.21 23.11 24.03 25.00 25.97
(Public Works & Recreation) Work Crew I
B3 Accounts / Payroll Officer 24.44 25.39 26.43 27.49 28.58
Senior Arena Maintenance Operator Work Crew II
B4 Executive Assistant 26.89 27.95 29.09 30.24 31.44
Municipal Law Enforcement Officer Utilities Technician
B5 Fire Prevention Officer 29.56 30.73 31.87 33.27 34.58
Tax & Revenue Officer Utilities Sub-Foreman
Schedule “A” to By-law No. 2016-82 (cont’d)
BAND TITLE STEP 1 STEP 2 STEP 3 STEP 4 STEP 5
B6 Building Inspector 31.93 33.21 34.55 35.93 37.34
Human Resources / Health & Safety Officer Planner
Roads Foreman Utilities Foreman
B7 Chief Librarian (CEO) 34.48 35.85 37.31 38.80 40.33
B8 Chief Building Official 37.24 38.72 40.30 41.90 43.57
Deputy Clerk Deputy Fire Chief Deputy Treasurer IT Technician
Manager of Recreation & Facilities Public Works Supervisor
B9 Clerk 44.65 46.45 48.31 50.25 52.25
B10 Director of Fire & Emergency Services 49.13 51.07 53.14 55.27 57.56 Director of Planning and Development
B11 Director of Corporate Services / Treasurer 57.30 59.59 62.00 64.47 67.02 Director of Public Works
SCHEDULE “B” TO BY-LAW NO. 2016-82
BAND TITLE PROBATION
STEP 1 STEP 2 STEP 3 STEP 4 STEP 5 STEP 6
B1 Custodian 11.46 12.63 13.01 13.40 13.80 14.23 14.86
Library Assistant Office Assistant Works Wingman
B2 Bartender 12.52 13.90 14.32 14.73 15.17 15.63 16.16
Junior Arena Mtce. Operator Junior Park Mtce. Operator
B3 Park Superintendent 13.77 15.24 15.72 16.22 16.70 17.21 17.99
B4 Recreation Co-ordinator 23.58 26.20 26.98 27.78 28.62 29.46 30.78