Kiribati National Certificate
QUESTION and ANSWER BOOKLET
Time allowed: 1½ hours (plus 10 minutes reading time)
Attempt All Questions
Read the Questions carefully
Write your answers in this Booklet
open this Booklet
you are told to do so
Please write your
in the space provided
SECTION QUESTION TYPE MARK DURATION
A MULTIPLE CHOICES 10 15
B MATCHING 7 10
C SHORT ANSWER 8 20 D EXTENDED RESPONSES 25 45
YOU MUST HAND THIS BOOKLET TO THE SUPERVISOR AT THE END OF THE EXAMINATION
MULTIPLE CHOICE ANSWER SHEET
Circle the LETTER of the best answer.
1. A B C D
2. A B C D
3. A B C D
4. A B C D
5. A B C D
6. A B C D
7. A B C D
8. A B C D
9. A B C D
10. A B C D
Multiple Choice Questions
For each question, circle the best answer in the Answer Sheet provided on page 1. 1) The meals for a person suffering from scurvy must include foods like
A. coconut, mangoes and pumpkin B. peanuts, peas and beans
C. orange, pawpaw and lemon
D. Cabbage, taro leaves and bele leaves
2) Convenience foods can have harmful effects on the environment as they may A. be expensive because of the type of packaging used
B. have lots of packaging which must be disposed of C. contain additives such as artificial sweeteners D. usually save time and use little energy for preparing
3) Two methods of preserving food which involves low temperature. A. Canning and bottling.
B. Freezing and chilling. C. Salting and drying. D. Pickling and smoking.
4) What are the three main works Centre in a Modern Kitchen? A. The Sink, Cooking and Preparation Centre
B. The Sink, Preparation and Eating Centre C. The Preparation, Cooking and Eating Centre D. The Preparation, Cooking and Storing Centre
5) Which of the following you must consider mostly important when planning a meal for a wedding occasion?
A. The age, sex and the number of invited Quests B. The nutritive value of the food and their costs
6) Vegetarians main meals use meat alternatives, food rich in protein such as A. cheese, cassava, bread and milk
B. soyabean, pawpaw, breadfruit and babai C. beans, peas, coconut and cabbage D. nuts, pulses soyabeans and legumes
7) The first aid box should contain these items except A. antibiotic tablet and panadol
B. antiseptic lotion or cream
C. sterile adhesive dressing and cotton wool D. a pair of surgical tweezers and surgical scissors 8) Dietary fiber helps to prevent
A. kidney problems B. heart problems C. liver problems D. bowel problems
9) Which utensil is best to be used in lifting and turning food in grilling? A. Wooden Spoon
B. Spatula C. Fork D. Tongs
10) Poaching is one method of cooking food. How this is done? A. Over wood or charcoal, often in open air
B. Over steam from boiling water
C. In boiling water, usually in a sauce pan D. In an oven with added fat
Match the terms in List B with their correct descriptions in List A by writing the number of description in List A in the box beside the correct term in List B.
List A List B Answer
1 Essential fatty acid made by the
body Food Hygiene 2 Made of Amino Acids
Dietitian 3 Protecting food from
contamination and preventing bacterial growth
Diabetes 4 It refers to the way food feels in
your mouth Protein 5 An expert in nutrition who
advices people about their food Lipids 6 A balanced diet which contains
all nutrient Texture 7 High level of sugar in the body
Anorexia 8 An extreme eating disorder
occurs to young girls who are on diet
Short Answer Questions
1) Write at least one golden rule for safe food preparation.
2) Describe how first aid is used to treat a person who suffers electric shock.
3) Write one factor that influence adolescent food choice.
4) Explain what a Buffet Meal is.
5) What is the function of Roughage in the Body?
6) Explain why people preserve food?
7) Why do most young people eat fast food on a regular basis?
8) What problems have been linked with intake of Saturated fat?
Extended Response Questions
1. Tuaraoi recorded her meals for two days in the table below. Study her consumption pattern and answer the questions that follow;
Breakfast Morning Tea Lunch Afternoon Tea
Milo with milk Sugar
4 arrowroot biscuit 2 toast with butter honey Breadfruit chips, fanta 2 chops, 3 potatoes, 1 ice-cream Milo with milk
2 toast with butter and honey
Breadfruit chips fanta
2 fish and chips, tomato sause, 1 ice-cream
b) When Tuaraoi’s home economic teacher saw her pyramid, she advised her to make five changes to her diet to make it healthier. Suggest these five changes for Tuaraoi,
i) ……… ………
ii) ……… ...………….
iii) ……… ……….
iv) ……….. .. ……….………
v) ……… ……….
2. Complete the following questions for the meal planning brief:
……… ……… ……… ……… ………
Design brief: Teringa is asked by her mother to make an evening meal for a couple and 2 adolescent children. Plan a nutritious meal using local foods
b. List down the foods used in your meal and state their nutritive value. (5 Marks)
Food Nutritive Value
Draw a diagram on how to serve your meal using a formal table setting. Label your foods and cutleries used. (5 Marks)