• No results found

4R Business Recovery Winding Up Guide


Academic year: 2021

Share "4R Business Recovery Winding Up Guide"


Loading.... (view fulltext now)

Full text


Winding Up Guide

4R Business Recovery Helping You

Turnaround Your Business


Statutory Demands and Winding Up Petitions -

Creditor Pressure

The process to wind up a company begins with a statutory demand and can often end with

the company being liquidated or ‘wound up’. This process can be stopped if action is taken

early, but if not, the company could be shut down. So what is a statutory demand, winding

up petition or winding up order?

Statutory Demands -

The first stage of the process is for the creditor to serve a Statutory Demand on your company. This is a written request asking for the money to be repaid. You must owe the creditor a minimum of £750.00 and you must respond within 18 days, to either settle the debt or challenge the SD. After 21 days if the debt is not paid or the SD not challenged or a settlement agreed, then the creditor has the ability to start winding up your company by issuing a winding up petition.

Winding Up Petitions -

If the debt has not been settled within the 21 days, and is over £750, the creditor can issue a winding up petition, asking the court to liquidate your company. This means that your company could be closed and its assets sold off. The proceeds from the sale are then used to settle your companies’ debts, so the creditor has a chance to recover their money.

Winding Up Orders -

If the winding up petition is successful it becomes known as a winding up order and your company will go into something called compulsory liquidation. This essentially means the company is closed, and you are removed from control, the companies assets will be sold, so its debts can then be paid.

Sometimes it’s easier to bury your head in the sand and ignore mounting debts, but when you do not communicate with creditors, they become worried and as a last resort will start a formal process to get paid.

If the debt is not contested but you just cannot afford to pay then the creditor [your supplier or HMRC] can escalate the legal recovery process very quickly by issuing a 21 day Statutory Demand, and then threaten to serve a subsequent winding up petition. Remember it costs very little to issue a

Statutory Demand and Creditors often abuse the process to put companies under huge pressure to pay. The problem is assessing if the Statutory Demand is part of a valid recovery process and is going to be followed up with a Winding Up Petition [for example HMRC will always issue a WUP] and for this reason you must take Statutory Demands seriously.

We have put together this simple guide to show how you could deal with it.

A Few Words From Kevin

Here at 4R Business Recovery, we understand that no two businesses are the same. Every day we help companies of all sizes turn things around against seemingly impossible odds.

Regardless of your situation, we’re here to help. This guide has been put together to help you understand what winding up is and what it could mean to you.

If you have any questions about what you see here, and would like to speak to one of our expert advisors, call 0800 902 0123 or email info@4rbusinessrecovery.co.uk

Alternatively, if you would like to contact me at kevinpritchard@4rbusinessrecovery.co.uk I will be happy to answer any of your questions directly. I hope you find the guide useful. Our initial consultations are free and importantly totally confidential. We will work with you to devise an action plan that suits your circumstances. Kindest regards,

Kevin Pritchard Managing Director 4R Business Recovery Ltd

Key Points to Remember

• Creditors - People or Companies you owe money to

• Debtors - People or Companies who owe you money

• Creditors can take a number of actions to reclaim any money owed to them

• A statutory demand is a formal and legal request for the money owed

• This can become a winding up petition if it is left unchallenged

• A winding up petition asks the court to liquidate your company

• If successful, this becomes a winding up order and the company has to cease trading

• Act fast to ensure the situation doesn’t get worse



Call Now for FREE: 0800 902 01 23


Setting Aside a Statutory Demand -

If you feel that you have been served a Statutory Demand that is unfair because of other

circumstances or you have a counter claim to submit the courts will allow you 18 days to get it set aside.

This could be for a number of reasons but and would advise you to get professional advice as soon as possible.

Why You Should Act Early

If you don’t defend a statutory demand or a winding up petition, you could end up in a situation where you completely lose control of your company. If your business is subject to a compulsory liquidation, your conduct could then be investigated and you could be accused of wrongful trading.

Your fiduciary duty as a director changes when company is insolvent and you are required to work in the best interest of creditors.

If you have failed to put creditors’ interests first you could then be subject to investigation and may eventually be subject to a Directors Disqualification Order.

Dealing with a Statutory Demand is much easier than defending a Winding Up Petition. The earlier you act the more likely you are to gain a

positive outcome.

Top Tip

• All winding up petition have to be published in The London Gazette according to strict timelines, if these are breached then the WUP can be thrown out and dismissed by the court. Telephone 4R for advise about the rules governing publication today and how they can assist you in protecting the business

• When a petition is published in the London Gazette it results in all company bank accounts are frozen for the benefit of the unsecured creditors. A petition that is published can stop you from trading. Take professional advise now

• Act fast to ensure the situation doesn’t get worse

Other Solutions -

If you find you are not able to pay your bills on time, you may have a short term cash flow problem, but your company may well be insolvent. In which case, you might consider a Company Voluntary Arrangement, which is a formal insolvency process with creditors and protects you from any legal action. Pre-pack administration and Creditors’

Voluntary Liquidation may also be appropriate. There are a number of options available to you that will put you back in the driving seat of your business and stabilise its future, contact one of our advisors who will explain the options in more detail.


Other Creditor Actions -

Statutory demands and winding up petitions aren’t the only aggressive actions creditors can take. Others include:

• County Court Summons. It is cheap and easy to apply for a County Court Summons online and the vast majority of CCJ’s awarded by the courts are the result of a failure to follow the strict time line set out by the court process. Many companies end up with a CCJ even when they dispute the debt but have failed to acknowledge service or file a defence in the stated time frame of 14 days and 28 days. This failure results in a “Summary Judgement” or CCJ by default.

• County Court Judgements (CCJs). Receiving a CCJ means a court has confirmed you owe the money. If it isn’t paid within 30 days, this goes on your record and could affect your companys

credit rating.

• Warrant of Execution. This allows a creditor to send a bailiff or enforcement officer to collect the money or take possession of goods to cover the debt. This is a follow up to a CCJ. Remember not all Bailiffs are created equal! County Court Bailiffs, are different from Private Bailiffs who are different from High Court Enforcement Officers, if you are at risk from a Bailiff visit you need to understand the powers they have, so phone 4R today.

• Distraint or walking possession. These are two inter changeable terms for the seizure of goods to cover a debt. Walking possession usually involves a bailiff attending the business premises and listing assets of the company and obtaining a signature confirming that assets will remain on the property, these assets will not be removed by the bailiff unless the debtor fails to pay the outstanding debt. This is known as a walking possession order and is the main tool used by Bailiffs and HCEO to enforce a CCJ.



Call Now for FREE: 0800 902 01 23


• Talk to the creditor – you may be able to negotiate a solution

• Arrange a face to face meeting (it is harder to disagree with someone sitting opposite you)

• Do not get into an e mail war. E mail should be used only to confirm legal positions or agreements do not try and negotiate using e mail, pick up the phone or go and meet the other side in person

• If possible, pay some or all of the debt, if the debt falls below the minimum requirement there is no cause of action

• If you’re unable to pay, seek professional advice. There are a number of options available to help turn your company around

If your business is under threat,

contact 4R Business Recovery for an initial consultation

completely FREE of charge. We will advise you on what

is best for your business.

We are here to put your mind at rest and enable you to go forward

in a positive frame of mind.

Simply call us today on 0800 902 0123 to speak with one of our expert

advisors, or contact us through a simple form online via our website.

Head Office Castle Donnington t 0116 326 0399


Related documents


The result of slope stability modelling proves that the combined evaluation of the safety factor and slope displacement through the finite element model- ing provides a

Ja, da der demografische Wandel ja beschreibt, wie die Gesellschaft in 20 oder mehr Jahren aussehen wird. Werden Sie mit 60 Ihr Smartphone abgeben? ;-)

If you agree that you owe the money that the debt collector is asking for and you want to pay your debt, but you cannot afford to pay the full amount, trying to settle the debt

You may not deal with a creditor, just as a creditor may not deal with you. You cannot pick and choose particular creditors and pay them “on the side”. All of

If you fail to make any payment due under a court order, Debt Management will usually pass your file to the HM Revenue and Customs’ Enforcement & Insolvency Service office

If the fees and charges have not been paid within 28 days of the due date of the fee notice, the Owners Corporation can issue a final fee notice to the lot owner.. At this point

Issuing your claim in the County Court: A Claim Form and Particulars of Claim will be filed at Court providing the following information: the name and address of the debtor, to