Academic Leader, Nurse Education Team
UCOL has a vacancy for an Academic Leader for the Nurse Education Team
within the Faculty of Health Science.
This is an exciting new opportunity for you to be a key part of a leadership
team. Your Academic Leadership role will be focused on:
Leading innovative programmes to meet the needs of the health
Collaboratively identifying and maximising the efficient sharing of our
resources and capability in the Nurse Education Team and across the
Health Science Faculty;
Leadership and portfolio management such as; academic, financial
performance, student experience, and research performance of the
Team and Faculty.
You will report to the Executive Dean, Faculty of Health Science.
UCOL is seeking a leader with a PhD qualification (or working towards one),
who is a Registered Nurse with experience in programme development,
management and leadership.
This role requires a person who is highly credible in the Health and educational
Sectors, and who has exceptional relationship management and
Faculty Academic Leader
Faculty Academic Leader – Nurse Education
Dean/General Manager Faculty of Health Science
Responsible and accountable for effective academic leadership of the Nurse Education Team including overall responsibility for portfolios such as academic, student clinical experience, finance and research performance of the Team, to ensure the most effective student centred services are provided to our
Responsible for the management of all Programme Leaders/Portfolio Leader in the Nurse Education Team on Palmerston North, Whanganui, and Wairarapa sites.
Key Result Areas
• Ensure the academic quality of all nursing programmes/courses offered are
educationally sound and sustainable and review existing programmes/courses against stakeholder needs;
• Build on the academic profile of the Nurse Education Team as a highly
reputable and credible provider of work ready graduate nurses. Student Learning
• Develop, deliver and assess material that meets the curricula, industry
requirements, meets UCOL’s strategic goals and is up to date, for defined programmes/courses;
• Maintain a client orientation towards students;
• Use effective teaching skills which incorporate a variety of best practice
delivery methods (including flexible delivery) that meet the needs of a variety of students;
• Ensure clinical placements for all programmes/courses meet the required
• Overall responsibility for all aspects of the Teams research strategy.
• Engage actively with stakeholders from aligned
industries/professions/communities to ensure positive and productive relationships.
• Overall responsibility for all projects relating to the Nurse Education Team.
• Model and mentor appropriate behaviours, including effective teaching and
people management skills;
• Conduct performance appraisals, performance management and recruitment
activities as appropriate in consultation with the Faculty Dean/General Manager;
• Facilitating collaboration between sites and staff.
Teaching, Academic & Technology Leadership
• Foster and encourage appropriate research within the team; • Provide teaching, academic & technology leadership for the team.
• Ensure there are systems and processes in place to effectively manage
• Operate systems and processes approved by the Faculty General
Manager/Dean that enable the goals of the students, UCOL, the Faculty, and the programme to be achieved;
• Manage resources of the programme, including budget, timetabling, record
• Ensure the overall academic excellence of the programmes/courses, that they
meet the curricula, and are accurately and effectively marketed;
• Involvement in general Faculty issues and administration at a
management/leadership level. Professional Development
• Regularly participate in continuing self education in both technical and
• Take responsibility for self development;
• Facilitate and co-ordinate the professional development of members of the
• Participate in internal personal development activities, including performance
assessment and training programmes. Innovation
• Consider feasibilities and implement, where appropriate, alternative methods
• Develop material suited to specific learning situations;
• Develop with Team members new initiatives/projects for programmes as
• Operate existing UCOL and Faculty systems efficiently and create own
systems as required;
• Support the effective running of UCOL and the Faculty as appropriate,
including representing the Faculty as required. External Liaison
• Involved in promotional exercises, public relations and general UCOL and
Faculty representation. Health and Safety
• Take appropriate actions for own, Team and student safety and health; • Take responsibility for Health & Safety environment;
• Ensure students and staff are aware of Health & Safety issues.
• Expresses and receives ideas and information to ensure a shared understanding.
Innovation and Creativity
• Seizes opportunities for, and encourages, innovative ideas that provide solutions
to all types of workplace challenges. Demonstrates the ability to be inventive and think ‘out of the box’.
• Dedicated in their efforts to facilitate and support student learning and
achievement. Provides a positive learning environment and actively encourages students to fully engage with the learning process and develop the skills for life-long learning.
• Adapts, refines and improves professional practices and performance through
continuous reflection, evaluation and professional development. Provides Quality Outcomes for Students and Other Stakeholders
• Integrates the needs of the student and other stakeholders when decision making
and works to create quality outcomes. Research/Industry Relationships
• Ensures that networks, partnerships, and research opportunities are developed
and maintained to facilitate knowledge and industry movement awareness and to identify research opportunities.
Respects Others and Builds Trust
• Demonstrates respect for others and builds trust through consistent behaviour
and demonstrates integrity in all actions.
Technical and Professional Knowledge and Skills
• Has the required level of technical and professional skill or knowledge in
position-related areas. Masters degree qualification is essential. Registered Nurse with a current Practicing Certificate. Adult Teaching qualification or equivalent.
• Models and promotes high personal and professional standards that support
UCOL’s vision and values. Understands the wider environment and the influence of this on UCOL’s strategic goals.
• Creates a positive work environment which fosters success. Supports the
recruitment and retention of staff. Manages resources, in alignment with UCOL strategic direction; proactively plans, negotiates and assesses resources to ensure viability of the Faculty.
• Experience in programme development, management and leadership; • Registered Nurse with PhD or working towards same
• Adult Teaching qualification or equivalent; • Proven relationship management skills; • Effective communication skills;
• Effective time management skills and ability to meet deadlines; • Highly credible and reputable in the health and/or education sector; • Research leadership skills
• Credible research publication record and recent history of attracting