Poolesville High School
Class of 2016
• Ms. Deena Levine: Principal
• Ms. Billie Bradshaw: Assistant
Principal, Magnet Coordinator
• Ms. Jacky Orrence: Assistant
– Grades 10 and 12
• Mr. Richard LaRocca: Assistant
School Counseling Staff
• Mr. James Cappuccilli, A-E • Ms. Melissa Nagy, F-Ho
• Ms. Barbara Martin, Hs-M
• Mr. David Gysberts, Ms. Victoria Lyon, N-To • Ms. Sarah Pavlik, Tr-Z
Registrar: Rm 51
• Ms. Elizabeth Hillard
College & Career Information Coordinator
• Ms. Rosalie DeOto
• Post High SchoolPlans-Where do you go from here?
• Learning the College Application Process at PHS: • Using Naviance, Family Connection
• Requesting Transcripts
• Teacher Recommendations • Forms
• The College Essay
Planning For Next Year…– College? – Work? – Military? – Gap Year? – Apprenticeship Program?
The College and Career Center
…not only for the College bound
• Due date for the Scholars and Macklin Business Institute programs - January, 2016
• General admission applications can be completed on a rolling basis
• Students will take the Accuplacer if the SAT score is not higher than 550 in both critical reading and math, or if the student has not taken the SAT
SAT Subject Tests
What are they and who needs to take them?
• Most colleges do not require subject
• May be used for admission and/or
• When required, most colleges ask for
math and one other subject test
• Check college applications carefully
Finish compiling the College List
• Include “reach”, “target”, and “safety”
schools on the list
College Representatives Visiting
– English classrooms
– Naviance, The Family
• use the sign up feature!
– The school website under
Now….The nuts and bolts of the application Process
Organization is Key!
• What are the deadlines?
• What are the essay requirements?
• How many teacher
Be aware of these college terms:
• PRIORITY DEADLINE: Students will be considered for every financial aid program for which they may be eligible. (University of Maryland, College Park)
• EARLY DECISION: A binding commitment. Once admitted, all other applications must be retracted.
• EARLY ACTION: Admission decisions are made by an early date.
• ROLLING: An admission decision is made as applications arrive at the college.
A bit of application info…
• MCPS does not use class rank.
Please indicate that our school system “does not rank” when asked this question on
• Grading scale: MCPS uses a 4
point scale. (weighted and unweighted)
Naviance, The Family Connection:
College Search and Application Program
• Web based
• Students are able to see
likelihood of acceptance to a
college based on PHS graduates from the last several years.
• For password help, see CCIC or
• Most college applications are
Step 1:• From the PHS Counseling website, log into your Naviance, account.
• Note the pages
on the left with important
What is the FERPA Waiver?
It is your decision to waive or not waive your right to read your recommendations.
FAMILY EDUCATIONAL RIGHTS AND PRIVACY ACT
US Department of Education:
Step 3:Finalize list of “Colleges I am thinking about” -Includes important deadline and decision information.
Then move schools to: “Colleges I am applying to”
Then select your application,
Step 4: Request Teacher
Request recommendations from
teachers 4 weeks prior to the deadline
Students should speak to their
teachers prior to submitting
an electronic request for a
For colleges that do not use
Naviance, students must give
their teachers stamped,
Step 5: Meet with the Registrar
(4 weeks prior to the college deadline to
officially request the transcript
• See Registrar in Room 51 to schedule an appointment • Bring “Transcript Request
Form” and “Authorization to Release Pupil Records”
to the meeting.
• Transcript fees may be
Submit applications online
by the deadline
• It is the student’s
Request SAT/ACT scores
Complete an on-line request for
SAT or ACT score reports to
be sent directly to the colleges
Please note that this step can be
completed at any time in the
Student makes request for PHS to send
Transcript, School Profile, Magnet Descriptions, Counselor & Teacher Recs
A word about Georgetown…
If you are applying to Georgetown,
please speak with the registrar as
there are specific application
requirements that the school must
The University of Maryland
• November 1 - Priority Deadline for all Honors, Special Programs, and scholarships.
• Decisions will be released late in January.
• January 20 - Regular deadline with April 1 release date. (Please don’t wait til January!)
Critical Information regarding
the UMCP Application
the UMCP system”
• Because MCPS uses
Check with colleges four weeks
after the submission deadline to
ensure that all materials have
Documents sent to Colleges by the
• Transcript, which lists courses, grades,
and credits for grades 9, 10, and 11,
and course titles for grade 12
• Counselor recommendation
• The “School Profile” which describes
• Magnet Program Description
• Mid Year Report if needed
– Student makes request to registrar in January
– Common App schools will receive mid-year report
• Register on Fastweb.com
• Students should frequently
check the College/Career
Center for new scholarship
• Check with colleges for other
School Nominated Scholarships
and Special Programs
• NC State University-Park Scholarship
• Washington University in St. Louis:
Danforth Scholars Program
• University of Virginia: Jefferson
See Ms. Deoto in the CCIC for info!
Parent Considerations in the
• Discuss guidelines for a realistic college choice (i.e., cost, distance from home)
• Help keep track of deadlines and
• Attend Financial Aid Night on 12/9/15
at 7:00 P.M. in the Auditorium
• Please use an appropriate email
• Keep grades up for the second
semester to avoid college
doubting the acceptance
Please contact the school counselor,
Registrar, or CCIC for additional support
Necessary documents can be found on our school web page: