Deputy Executive Director, Accounts Payable & Payroll
Detroit Public Schools invites qualified and interested candidates to apply for the position of Deputy Executive Director, Accounts Payable & Payroll.
As the city of Detroit experiences an exciting rebirth, Detroit Public Schools is undergoing an unprecedented transformation to establish Detroit Public Schools as a high-quality education option of choice for families city-wide. In the transformed district, schools will be organized into “networks”
with greater decision making autonomy, enabling them to more quickly make decisions based on the individualized needs of their students. To support this new structure, DPS is streamlining and
transforming its central office into a customer service-oriented organization that is 100% focused on supporting school networks to ensure they are well-equipped to provide all students with a high- quality education. Detroit Public Schools (DPS) is seeking to hire individuals who are excited by the opportunity to improve education for the students of Detroit.
The Deputy Executive Director, Accounts Payable & Payroll will lead the Accounts Payable & Payroll team. S/he work with other DPS stakeholders to ensure that all payments, including accounts payable and payroll, are made in a timely, efficient manner, aligned with annual and periodic budgets, aligned with district priorities and organized around the needs of schools in a manner that promotes the academic and social/emotional growth of DPS students. S/he will also work to ensure that accounts payable and payroll systems are designed as efficiently as possible to help the district meet those goals.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the direction of the Executive Director, Finance, the Deputy Executive Director, Accounting, Budget and Cash Management will:
· Provide daily oversight of accounts payable and payroll
· Prepare monthly and periodic financial reports as required
· Work closely with auditors, providing required documentation, and with staff to identify and correct problems as they occur throughout the year
· Enforce accounting policies and procedures to protect the district against fraud, theft and other forms of financial mismanagement
Detroit School DistrictOffice of Talent Management
· Develop and update systems, processes, policies and procedures to improve efficiency as needed and as opportunities emerge
· Ensure the district complies with all federal, state and local laws
· Facilitate the development of financial training courses designed to enhance technical expertise of district personnel
· Review, present and make recommendations to internal and external customers based on data and technological findings or requirements from the Office of Finance
· Fulfill other duties and responsibilities as assigned CORE COMPETENCIES
Ideal candidates will demonstrate the following:
· Superior management skills including ability to develop a vision and influence and motivate others to achieve outstanding results despite significant obstacles
• Able to plan, direct and evaluate the work of others
• Strong analytical, critical-thinking and organizational skills
· Strong problem-solving and project management skills
· Accountability: Able to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions
· Integrity and clarity in all communications and interactions
· Accuracy: Able to perform work accurately and thoroughly
· Able to work independently and manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously
· Able to thrive in a fast-paced and achievement-oriented environment
· Willingness to go above and beyond to contribute to the success of a dynamic team committed to a new future for Detroit education
· Able to build and cultivate relationships with a wide variety of internal and, where appropriate, external stakeholders
· Customer orientation: Able to take care of customer needs while following company procedures
· Strong presentation skills with the ability to deliver technical assistance in a form understood by stakeholders
o Leading significant cross-functional initiatives in diverse and complex organizational settings
· Personal alignment with the District’s mission, vision and core values SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
· Advanced computer literacy with spreadsheets, word processing and database software and/or business systems including Microsoft Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Project and Visio
· Demonstrated ability to recognize accounting internal controls
· Problem-solving experience related to business activities and operations
· Able to effectively train people from diverse backgrounds EDUCATION
· Must possess and provide proof of a Master’s Degree in business administration, accounting, auditing or finance; bachelor’s degree and five years of directly related experience may be considered in lieu of a master’s degree
· CPA license preferred EXPERIENCE
· Minimum 10 years of experience in finance, budgeting, accounting, strategic planning, business process reengineering and performance measurement in a large ERP environment (PeopleSoft, Oracle, SAP, etc.)
· Minimum 5 years of experience in a large complex organization or government entity, preferably a school district
· Experience and knowledge of accounting and finance
· Detailed comprehensive financial reporting experience
· Experience with integrated computer systems
· Prior management experience required SALARY, BENEFITS, REPORTING AND OTHER Salary Range: $79,650.00 - $112,500.00
Job Type: Administrative
In accordance with the agreement between the Organization of School Administrators (O.S.A.S.) and the Board of Education of the School District of the City of Detroit, Article 6.4, Promotion Procedure, the following vacancy is announced:
Benefits Eligibility: Successful candidates will be eligible for medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage, as well as illness and vacation days.
Special Note: Salary exceptions may be made for Fiscal Year 16 based on current salary and duties performed. Salary listed is post-concession.
Reports to: Executive Director, Finance
Supervises: Program Supervisor, Accountant and Financial Specialists, Accounts Payable & Budget Location: Division of Finance and Operations
Citizenship: Must be able to verify whether U.S. citizen, resident alien, or otherwise authorized to accept employment in the U.S.
Attendance: Regular Attendance is critical; must have an exemplary attendance record.
Physical Condition: Must be physically able to perform the duties and responsibilities outlined with or without accommodations.
Posting Date: November 20, 2015 Closing Date: Open until filled SECURITY CLEARANCE EXTERNAL APPLICANTS
If you are hired to fill a vacant position, you will be required to submit a Detroit Public Schools security clearance. At point of offer to hire, please be advised that you will be responsible for a non- refundable payment of $64.50 by cashier's check, certified check or money order, payable to the I.I.S.
(Identix Identification Services). DO NOT SUBMIT
PAYMENT WITH APPLICATION. There is an option to pay by MasterCard or Visa. All fingerprinting appointments will be scheduled by Detroit Public Schools, Human Resources Department.
If you are a current Detroit Public Schools employee, presently employed with the district, you do not have to submit a fee related to obtaining the Detroit Public Schools security clearance.
HOW TO APPLY
DETROIT PUBLIC SCHOOLS IS AN
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
 To read why Detroit is attracting investors, innovators and young adventurers, visit http://www.nationalgeographic.com/taking-back-detroit/see-detroit.html.
 To read about why many young people are relocating to Detroit, visit