The Mask of Death

Full text

(1)

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480611 5480611 5480611 957853 957853 957853

From the fi lm The Gamers: Dorkness Rising…

ZOE001

An Epic Quest for five 9th level characters

by Kevin Mickelson

Based on “The Gamers: Dorkness Rising”

written by Matt Vancil

A

An

n E

Ep

piic

c Q

Qu

ue

es

st

t f

fo

or

r f

fiiv

ve

e 9

9t

th

h l

le

ev

ve

el

l c

ch

ha

ar

ra

ac

ct

te

e

A

An

n

E

Ep

piic

c

Q

Qu

ue

es

st

t

f

fo

or

r

f

fiiv

ve

e

9

9t

th

h

l

le

ev

ve

el

l

c

ch

ha

ar

ra

ac

ct

te

e

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480611 5480611 5480611 957853 957853 957853

(2)

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480612 5480612 5480612 957854 957854 957854

Compa bility with the Pathfi nder Roleplaying Game requires the Pathfi nder Roleplaying Game from Paizo Publishing, LLC. See h p://paizo.com/pathfi nderRPG for more informa on on the Pathfi nder Roleplaying Game. Paizo Publishing, LLC does not guarantee compa bility, and does not endorse this product. The Mask of Death Copyright 2012 Zombie Orpheus Entertainment. All Rights Reserved. Per the terms of the OGL this product may not be released under a Crea ve Commons license. Please play responsibly. Produced under license from Gamers LLC and Dead Gentlemen Produc ons LLC The Gamers: Dorkness Rising is Copyright

2008 Gamers LLC, CC-BY-SA-NC

Pathfi nder is a registered trademark of Paizo Publishing, LLC, and the Pathfi nder Roleplaying Game and the Pathfi nder Roleplaying Game Compa bility Logo are trade-marks of Paizo Publishing, LLC, and are used under the Pathfi nder Roleplaying Game Compa bility License. See h p://paizo.com/pathfi nderRPG/compa bility for more

informa on on the compa bility license.

An Epic Quest for five 9th level characters

by Kevin Mickelson

Based on “The Gamers: Dorkness Rising” written by Matt Vancil

A

An

n

E

Ep

piic

c

Q

Qu

ue

es

st

t

f

fo

or

r

f

fiiv

ve

e

9

9t

th

h

l

le

ev

ve

el

l

c

ch

ha

ar

ra

ac

ct

te

er

rs

s

by

by K

Kev

evin

in M

Mic

icke

kels

lson

on

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480612 5480612 5480612 957854 957854 957854

(3)

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480613 5480613 5480613 957855 957855 957855

CREDITS

WriƩ en by Kevin Mickelson

Based on “Gamers: Dorkness Rising” wri en by Ma Vancil

CREW ExecuƟ ve Producer: Ben Dobyns

Supervising Producer: Don Early Directed by Brian Clements Editor: Jimmy McMichael

ProducƟ on Design: Thomas Deeny Cartographer: Sean Mcdonald Assistant Cartographer: Olivia Harlow Set Designer: Amanda Mickelson

Stunts: Sco C. Brown, Adam Sco Cheva-lier, Chris an Doyle, Max Froberg, Joanna Gaskiell, Patrick Kelley, Chris Kirk, Natalie Listemaa, Amanda Mickelson, Miranda Nedegaard, Jen Page, Edwin Perez, Corey Speaker, Ryan Walters & Ma Vancil Script Supervisor: Benjamin Boardman Fact Checker: Jason Carlile

Best Boy: Steve Wolbrecht

CAST Kevin Lodge/Osric: Nathan Rice Joanna/Daphne: Carol Roscoe Cass/Brother Silence: Brian Lewis Leo/Flynn the Fine: Sco C. Brown Gary/Luster (Male): Chris an Doyle Luster (Female): Jen Page

...and a Cast of Thousands! (Give or Take)

Cover Photo by Evan Shimono

Photography courtesy of Cornelia Moore, Evan Shimono & Marc Studer Nodwick courtesy of Aaron Williams and Do Gooder Press

www.zombieorpheus.com | www.denaghdesign.com | www.fantasycartography.com | www.deadgentlemen.com

For Amanda. You are the +5 vorpal holy avenger of spouses.

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480613 5480613 5480613 957855 957855 957855

(4)

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480614 5480614 5480614 957856 957856 957856

m

ask

of

d

eath

The Mask of Death

An Epic Quest for Five 9th Level Characters

The Quest for the Mask of Death begins in the city of Whitetower. Despite the occasional goblin incursion, the lands around Whitetower have known peace and prosperity under the reign of King Erasmus the Randomly Biased. This rela ve calm is sha ered by the news of a powerful ar fact falling into the hands of a wicked necromancer named Mort Kemnon. Kemnon swears to bring low the king and transform the land into a twisted refl ec on of his own evil god, Death himself. Increasing reports of undead sigh ngs and a acks serve to fan the fl ames of rumor. Exacerba ng ma ers is the mysterious silence of Therin, goddess of the Light. Whitetower is the seat of her faith and home to her Grand Hierophant, Rhaimhin the Fi h. Her radiance con nues to shine in and around the Great Cathedral but is unreliable beyond a few miles for all but the strongest of her faithful.

The kingdom needs heroes of excep onal me le and courage to venture forth and protect Whitetower by tracking down Mort Kemnon in his hidden lair. Poten al interest in this quest includes:

• Whitetower is the largest bas on of civiliza on for hundreds of miles in any given direc on. If it should fall to Mort Kemnon, he will stand unchecked in his quest to rule Fartherall.

• King Erasamus is widely known for his generosity and fondness for adventurers, and aiding in this task could ensure a life me of privileged comfort and celebrity.

• Several clerical scholars theorize that Therin’s absence and Mort Kemnon’s acquisi on of the Mask of Death are related. Without Therin’s presence, thousands across Fartherall will be aff ected.

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480614 5480614 5480614 957856 957856 957856

(5)

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480615 5480615 5480615 957857 957857 957857

ACT 1 — Whitetower

Scene 1: Hail to the King, Baby!

The PCs begin the adventure in the presence of King Erasamus. Read the following to the players

Th e last thing you were expecting was a summons to see the King. Erasmus has been growing far too old to hold the throne, according to the talk of the townsfolk, and to have an audience with anyone was a rare thing. So, when the letter arrived in the early morning requesting that you attend to his majesty, you were more than a little shocked.

You fi nd the throne room packed with eager spectators from not only the gentry, but also the common folk..perhaps the reason for the heavily ar-mored knight standing beside the King. All eyes turn to you as you ap-proach the throne, and then move to the monarch as a staff -bearing page announces “His royal highness: King Erasamus the Randomly Biased!”. Th e king nods once before addressing the party.

“Th ere is a great evil in our land; the vile necromancer Mort Kemnon. Daily his power grows stronger, and yet it appears as if our goddess has forsaken us, for she answers not our prayers. Mort Kemnon has discovered an evil artifact—an accursed item known as the Mask of Death. Find him and kill him. Bring me this mask so that its evil may not spread across our land.

Th e people of Whitetower recognize the peril of the task we set before you, and so it will be my pleasure to reward you handsomely on your return. You will each be granted a the noble title of baron or baroness, and such plots of land as are befi tting.”

King Erasamus (LG male old human aristocrat 9) answers any ons to the best of his ability, though he does not know a great deal of detail about the situa on.

Why us?

“The elite forces in my royal guard are all spoken for in defense of the capital, and so it has necessitated looking to independent con-tractors. My trusted sources tell me that you are people of rare and excep onal capability, and I am certain that you are best qualifi ed for the task.”

Exactly what are we up against?

“Mort Kemnon is a powerful servant of Death, and as such has prob-ably consorted with undead and demons alike. The specifi cs are any-one’s guess. Aside from that, his growing power, combined with the evacua on of Easthaven, has reportedly s rred up the local goblin tribes.”

Do you really think Therin has abandoned us?

Here the king pauses to carefully consider his words.

“The goddess moves and acts as a goddess, and I am but a king. Such specula on would take my a en on away from weigh er and more prac cal ma ers—such as the welfare of my people.” Once any ques ons have been answered, read the following:

Erasamus inclines his head toward the page. “Floppenwrist—the staff !”

Th e one who spoke before now bows your way and off ers a humble look-ing staff of thread-wrapped wood before taklook-ing his place beside the throne once more.

“I present to you this staff of resurrection. If one of your party should fall during this quest, it need not be their end.”

He pauses once more to accept any thanks or answer any last minute ques-tions. After doing so, he raises his hand in dismissal.

“Go forth noble heroes! May Th erin light your way.”

Scene 2: Hot Time, Trouble in the City

Th e city is near to bursting with the fl ood of refugees. You hear mutters of “Mort Kemnon” as they shuffl e toward the safety of the castle.

Not two blocks from the palace, you come upon a roadblock in the form of an overturned cart sandwiched between two buildings.

Th e mess will obviously take a long time to clear away, but luckily there is an alley to your left that cuts behind one of the buildings.

Not much light makes its way into the shaded and narrow alley. Here and there, paupers sit with their backs against the walls of the buildings, the cowls of their threadbare cloaks drawn up as they nap.

As you move between the seated commoners, they suddenly leap up and fl ing aside their cloaks to reveal pure black jumpsuits complete with masks! Brandishing unusual weapons, they lunge to the attack.

These “paupers” are actually agents of a mysterious group of as-sassins known only as “The Order”. They have been hired by Mort Kemnon to ensure that any who would interfere with his plans died in a most public and horrible manner. These assassins have tracked the PCs since they fi rst set foot in Whitetower. The overturned cart is no accident, and serves two purposes: fi rstly, to divert the PCs down this alley into an ambush and, secondly, to delay the Lord High Inquisitor of The Grand Illuminated Holy Order of Therin, on his way to meet the heroes before they leave the city. The Inquisitor and his

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480615 5480615 5480615 957857 957857 957857

(6)

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480616 5480616 5480616 957858 957858 957858

m

ask

of

d

eath

two paladins are obliged to keep order amongst the halted mass of

peasantry on the other side of the wreckage.

THE ORDER — CR 5

XP 1,600

Human Ninja (UC) 6

NE Medium humanoid Init +4; Senses Percep on +9

DEFENSE

AC 18, touch 14, fl at-footed 14

hp 34

Fort +3, Ref +9, Will +2

OFFENSE

Speed 30 .

Melee +1 Shortsword, +9 (1d6+2, 19-20x2) OR +1 Nunchaku, +9 to hit, (1d4+2) OR +1 Sai, +9 to hit, (1d4+2)

Ranged Mwk shuriken +9, 1d2+1

Space 5 .

Special A acks Sneak a ack 3d6

STATISTICS

Str 13, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 12 Base Atk 4; CMB 5; CMD 19

Feats Combat Exper se, Improved Feint, Weapon Finesse, Step Up Skills Acroba cs +13, Bluff +9, Disable Device +13, Disguise +11,

Es-cape Ar st +13, In midate +9, Percep on +9, Sense Mo ve +9,

Sleight of Hand +13 [+19 to conceal weapon]. Stealth +15

Languages Common, goblin

SPECIAL ABILITIES

Poison Use Cannot accidentally poison self. Sneak A ack: 3d6

Ki Pool (Su): 4. As long as she has at least 1 point in her ki pool, she treats any Acroba cs skill check made to jump as if she had a run-ning start.

As a Swi ac on, spend 1 point from ki pool to make an ad-di onal a ack at highest a ack bonus as part of a full a ack, to increase speed by 20 feet for 1 round, or get a +4 insight bonus on Stealth for 1 round.

Ninja Tricks:

Fast Stealth (Ex): Can move at full speed using the Stealth skill without penalty.

Hidden weapons (Ex): Adds level on opposed Sleight of Hand skill checks made to conceal a weapon, and can draw hidden weap-ons as a move ac on.

Slow Reac ons (Ex): Opponents that are damaged by the ninja’s sneak a ack can’t make a acks of opportunity for 1 round. No Trace (Ex): The DC to track a ninja using the Survival skill is

increased by +2. Also +2 bonus on Disguise and Stealth checks whenever sta onary for at least 1 round

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Cannot be caught fl at-footed, nor lose her Dexterity bonus to AC if a acker is invisible. S ll loses Dex bo-nus to AC if immobilized.

Light Steps (Ex): Full-round ac on, can move x2 normal speed and ignore diffi cult terrain. Supported by any surface regardless of

weight, including water, lava, or thin branches. Must end move on surface that can normally support. Ignores any mechanical traps that use a loca on-based trigger.

TREASURE

+1 Weapon, +1 Leather Armor, Ring of Protec on +1, 15 mwk shurik-en, 2 doses Large Scorpion Venom (Injury, DC 17, Dura on 1/rd. for 6 rds, dmg 1d2 Str 1 save)

TACTICS

The ninjas remain huddled against the walls un l the fi rst member of the party is between the fi rst two. They a empt to arrange them-selves so they are fl anking as many members of the party as pos-sible, using Acroba cs against the CMD of any PC in a space they wish to occupy. If the Acroba cs check is successful, the PC is moved to whichever available square that ninja wants. If it fails, the ninja and PC are both considered to be trapped in a narrow space. Each move into or through a narrow space counts as if it were 2 squares, and while squeezed in a narrow space, takes a –4 penalty on a ack rolls and a 4 penalty to AC.

Developments: A er 6 rounds of combat (or less if the PCs are do-ing par cularly well), a new force enters the fray. Read the followdo-ing: In a sudden rush, fog fi lls the alley making it impossible to see anyone, friend or foe alike. Sounds of swords clashing, guns fi ring and spells crack-ling come through the now thinning mist and black-clad bodies fl y past, striking the alley walls with wet thuds. A shout of “Barbarian Rage!” echoes through the alley accompanied by hate-fi lled growls. A few short shrieks more and the fi ght is over before you knew it had begun. Standing in the alley ahead of you are four mysterious fi gures, posed in triumph over the fallen ninjas. A man clad in shining armor draped with a tabard bear-ing the stylized butterfl y of Desna, goddess of luck stands center, fl anked by a woman wearing a belt of small skulls and rugged leather strips gripping a crooked staff . On his other side stand a smaller man wielding two pistols and a barbarian warrioress clad in full chain decorated with red paint (you hope) streaked across her torso. Th ey all stare at you in slight confusion. All except the barbarian who stares off somewhere in the distance, motionless. Th e armored man steps forward, pausing momentarily to kick a moaning ninja. “Terribly sorry for the interruption. You seemed to be doing quite fi ne, but the lives of these men belong to us. I am Sir Endipity, paladin of Desna and these are my companions: Quet, shaman of Gorum; and Flint West Steel, gunslinger of, well, pretty much everywhere.”

Flint blows a lazy smoke ring and nods his head towards the fourth mem-ber of the party. “Don’t fergit about her, now,” he drawls. “Let’s fi nish this here jibber-jabbin’ and get movin’. Th em ninjas won’t hunt theyselves.” Sir Endipity perks up, seemingly noticing the barbarian for the fi rst time. “Oh, yes. Th at is Steff anee the Red. I apologize. Sometimes it’s like she isn’t even here. Anyhoo…back to the quest at hand. Long have we hunted the minions of Th e Order, striking them down wherever we fi nd them. It is by pure happenstance and the guidance of Desna that we discovered this cell while venturing back from our latest battle with their masters. Th ank you kindly for distracting them for us.”

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480616 5480616 5480616 957858 957858 957858

(7)

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480617 5480617 5480617 957859 957859 957859

Sir Endipity and the other members of his party (except for Steff anee the Red) will chit-chat with the PCs about nothing much important. They have business elsewhere and are happy to let the main party con nue on to their own quest with a knowing smile from one group of mighty adventurers to another. When they leave, Steff anee the Red moves last, following her party woodenly. A Listen check (DC 10) reveals the quiet sound of dice ra ling from another realm as she leaves.

Scene 3: Get Thee to Church!

Four members of the watch arrive just in time to haul away the bodies, bowing and scraping to the Inquisitor. With an icy calm, the Inquisitor sheaths his daggers and turns to face the party.

“Hail, Champions of Whitetower. Th e Hierophant begs an audience.” Despite his choice of words, there is obviously little room for refusal. Should the PCs decline to accompany him, read the following:

Th e Inquisitor’s eyes widen with surprise that swiftly gives way to danger-ous suspicion.

“Th erin’s blessing will be a boon on your quest. No one refuses a summons to appear before His Grace. You would not wish your faith to be consid-ered…impure. Reconsider.”

If they persist in their refusal, he gives them a long and level stare before he and his paladins depart. When he learns of their disre-spect, the Hierophant immediately withdraws the divine powers of any cleric or paladin of Therin. Word swi ly spreads amongst the clergy and paladins and the party’s good name suff ers. -5

on points.

If they agree to follow, read the following:

Th e Inquisitor insists that his paladins heal the company before heading to the cathedral.

Th e crowds part as the Th erinites escort you to the House of Lumines-cence. Th e walls of the grand cathedral stretch to the heavens, and soft hymns trickle from within.

Upon entering the cathedral, the Inquisitor and the paladins leave to an-nounce your arrival. Smiling acolytes fi lter into the room, off ering a snack or a glass of wine to pass the time more pleasantly.

If the PCs accept the off er of hospitality, they are soon provided with warm bread and sharp cheese, as well as mulled ale or wine. The acolytes are happy to engage in chit-chat (though they demure if the PCs try to get them to gossip about the Inquisitor or the Hierophant) and display interest in learning about the histories of each PC.

You are not kept waiting for long, and are shown into the heart of the cathedral, where the grand Hierophant of Th erin himself awaits you. He smiles benefi cently as he speaks.

“Our goddess thanks you for meeting with us ere you continue your journey. “

“Th ere are those who say that Th erin has abandoned us in this dark time. Rest assured; she watches us always. We have been made aware of your prowess through reputation and direct testimony from our Inquisitor, and have every confi dence in your skills.”

“Nevertheless, we shall provide two of our most powerful healing draughts to ensure your safety.”

He presents the PCs with two po ons of Heal (each of which heals 110 damage when quaff ed).

“In exchange we beg only a simple favor: leave none of Kemnon’s vile un-dead or summoned demons behind once you complete your quest.” “Go forth, and may you never stray from the paths of goodness and law.“ You bow respectfully to the Hierophant and depart. As you make your way to the exit, you hear a soft voice calling to you. “Psst! Hey, over here!” You look around and spot a paladin waving to you from a dim hallway. He’s a large, muscular man, and his neatly-trimmed goatee shows just a hint of gray. A keen-looking white raven hops restlessly across his shoul-ders. He motions for you to join him.

If the party refuses, he scowls as he watches them go, shou ng “Sod off ! Who needs you, anyway!”.

If they agree, he glances around nervously and grabs the party’s spokesperson by the arm, pulling him into the hallway.

Read the following:

“I am Sir Winston Dalthur, and this is my familiar, Rudz. We—” Th e raven waves a wing in the paladin’s face. “Cram it, Winnie!” he says. “I’ve got it from here.” Rudz hops down from the man’s shoulder and perches on a window sill. “So here’s the deal—the boss man’s got us protecting the folks along the road to Whitetower. It’s your typical pilgrim and refugee crowd. Worst we usually have to deal with is roughing up the drunks or breaking up a fi ght over a loaf of bread. It’s a pretty sweet as-signment, and it beats the sod out of questing for relics and battling goblins like the rest of those poor dopes out there. Except lately, some huge, rut-off beastie’s started making trouble; snatching up folks and devouring ‘em whole and whatnot. Our years of easy living have left my man here a little ill-equipped for taking on monsters, but we’ve managed to put a little some-thing away for retirement. I fi gure, you help us out with our little monster problem, and I can make it worth your while.”

Th e raven fl aps back up to Sir Winston’s shoulder. “Now Winnie’s gotta

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480617 5480617 5480617 957859 957859 957859

(8)

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480618 5480618 5480618 957860 957860 957860

m

ask

of

d

eath

stick around the temple to guard the guy with the big hat, but I’ve got nothing but time on my wings. I’ll tag along and help you take the thing down. Or maybe I’ll watch you fi ght it from someplace high and hope for the best—we’ll play it by ear. Best case for you, I follow you all the way to the base of the mountains and we come up empty.”

“Can’t really tell you what you’re in for. Reports of the creature are hazy at best, but at least one guy saw it gobble up a horse in two bites, so it ain’t small. Th ose half-wits in the Watch wouldn’t stand a chance, but I’ve got a good feeling about you folks.”

Rudz pecks impatiently at Sir Winston’s ear. “Hey, big guy! Cough up the coin!” Sir Winston fumbles a sack of coins from his pocket and counts them into his palm. “I think ten platinum should cover it. I mean, this ain’t exactly an army of ogres; we’re talking about one monster!”

Should they refuse, read the following:

Th e raven ruffl es his feathers. “Okay, okay!” he caws. “You twisted my wing! Twenty platinum, but that’s as high as I go.”

Should they refuse again, read the following:

“Alright, I get it. Holy quest and all that! Big heroes don’t have time to help out the little guys! Th at’s fi ne. I’ll make sure the citizens understand that you’re sorry about them being swallowed whole and all, but you just don’t have time for their one, little monster.” Rudz smacks the paladin in the back of the head with his wing. “Come on, Winnie! Let’s go fi nd some REAL adventurers!”

If the PCs accept the job, read the following:

Rudz leaps from the paladin’s side and fl aps his way over to perch on the shoulder of (whichever PC seems most taken with him, or failing that one with the highest charisma).

“Haha! I knew I could count on you fellas. Had you pegged for heroes the minute I laid eyes on you! Hey, Winnie! Take care of the place while I’m gone. And Th erin help you if I fi nd out you’ve been dipping into our nest egg!”

Rudz is a cha y and lecherous bird if anyone cares to engage him in conversa on. He’s a greedy, lazy, braggart, and he’s willing to bend the rules to suit his purposes, but he can generally be considered trustworthy. He’ll talk about anything, but par cularly enjoys tell-ing tales of the seedier side of Whitetower, pitchtell-ing get-rich-quick schemes, and awkwardly hi ng on PCs. +1 Reputa on

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480618 5480618 5480618 957860 957860 957860

(9)

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480619 5480619 5480619 957861 957861 957861

Scene 4: All Along the Whitetower

The City of Whitetower (typically a LG small city; popula on 9.600, currently a LG large city with popula on 11,000+ due to refugees) is feeling very cramped these days, her streets crowded with peasants from the outlying se lements.

As the PCs move through Whitetower, they may use Diplomacy or Knowledge (local) to gather the following informa on:

• (DC 5) Red is very in at court this year.

• (DC 10) The goblin tribes and beasts of the wilderness have been ac ng up much more than usual lately. [This is due in equal parts to the necroman c miasma that has subtly begun to permeate the land, and the increased ac vity of the refugees themselves crea ng a prey-rich environment for the things that lurk in the wilds.]

• (DC 15) Nobody has heard anything from Westhaven in over a week, and it’s feared that the town has fallen into dark-ness.

• (DC 20) The Even de Mountains to the West have a series of ancient tunnels dug throughout. Legend has it that dwarves lived there long ago, but were driven out by some grim hor-ror that coveted their wealth. Ever since, the vast place has been a home to ogres and worse.

At long last the outer gate stands open before you, crowded with the still-steady stream of common folk. A jolly voice can be heard over the hustle and bustle of the crowd.

“Corn! Celery! Oranges! Fresh bread! Onions!”

A moment later you spot a spry farmer juggling a pair of onions and standing before a cart laden with all the shouted goods and more. He bran-dishes a head of cabbage in your direction as you approach.

“Cabbages? Th e fi nest cabbages in the land!”

If the party con nues without stopping, his show and sell produce-duc on keeps on without a hitch. If they stop to speak with him, he is only too happy to chew the fat.

How long have you been in town?

“Oh, scarcely a day mi(lady/lord). There are goblins in the moun-tains, you know!”

What have you seen on the road?

“When the guards were leading us out of Easthaven, we’re sure that we saw li le green heads peeking at us from behind the trees. Those nasty li le buggers will probably try their hand on you or anyone else who ventures too near!”

Have you heard of Mort Kemnon?

He gives a shocked choke as you speak the dreaded necromancer’s name, and seems to balk at the idea of discussing him.

Anyone le in Easthaven?

“There may be a few poor souls that didn’t make it out with the rest of us, but it’s hard to say. To think what those dra ed goblins would do to such good neighbors…”

Really though; have you heard of Mort Kemnon?

He sighs and leans in a bit nearer.

“Well, it may be nothing, but I’ve heard that things are not right in the West. My younger brother is a member of the Easthaven guard, and on their last patrol up to the Bi ernip Bridge, he swears that they saw a pair of wyverns fl y overhead. Oh but they were in ter-rible condi on! Holes in their tummies and missing fl esh all around. I think that they must be the doing of the necromancer.”

A er answering the party’s ques ons, read the following: Th e farmer coyly clears his throat and pats the handle of his cart. “Perhaps if my lords and ladies found my conversation at all useful, they’d be interested in buying some fresh supplies for their journey? I promise that they’re fi ner than anything you might already have!”

All of the produce in the cart appears very fresh and generously sized, priced at two copper pieces per item. Th e bread is 3 copper pieces, and appears to have bits of fruit baked into its crumbly crust.

If the party does not take the hint, read the following:

Th e farmer does his best to hide his disappointment, but nevertheless wish-es the party well before rwish-esuming his show.

If the party catches a clue, read the following (+1 Reputa on points): He happily sells you the items you need. “I cannot wait to tell my friends that I met the true heroes of Whitetower!” .

If they accept and p him generously (at least 5 gold pieces), read the following (+2 Reputa on points):

He exclaims “My (lord/lady)!” and clasps the character’s hand in grati-tude. Th e naturally-gifted storyteller gushes his thanks. “All will know of the generosity of the heroes of Whitetower!”

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480619 5480619 5480619 957861 957861 957861

(10)

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480620 5480620 5480620 957862 957862 957862

m

ask

of

d

eath

ACT 2 — Those Mountains Look Quest-Worthy!

Scene 1: Adventure (Hooks)!

A er a few miles, the road winds up into some forested foothills before the base of the mountain.

Feeding Frenzy (A):

Th e ground along the path is churned up and half of a wagon has been tossed nearly fi fty feet off the road. What is left of the wagon is being dili-gently gnawed upon by what appears to be some kind of enormous rock with a mouth half the size of its body. It peeks over its massive shoulder as you approach, spits a hunk of wood out and turns to squarely face you! A pair of bule es have been farming the road for delicious peasants. The female was just snacking on a wagon while the male was nap-ping underground beside a large stone near the road.

The fi rst bule e charges headlong into the middle of the party, making use of its Leap a ack to do as much damage as possible at

the fi rst opportunity. The other erupts from beneath the ground try-ing to pen the party in, a acktry-ing with surprise on the second round. As is typical of bule es, they fi ght to the death with no thought of retreat.

If Rudz is with the party, he darts up to a high branch of a tree as soon as they spot the fi rst bule e. From this vantage point he spots the second beast before it reaches the party, and squawks in fear be-fore it enters the ba le, aler ng the adventurers. Should this occur, the second bule e does not gain the benefi t of surprise. When the fi ght ends the bird bobs his head and promises to let people know all about how the party helped him defeat the terrible creatures. Reputa on: +3 points (Only if Rudz is with the party)

BULETTE — CR 7

XP 3,200

hp 84(see Pathfi nder® Roleplaying Game: Bes ary™)

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480620 5480620 5480620 957862 957862 957862

(11)

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480621 5480621 5480621 957863 957863 957863

At the Signpost (B):

You strike out for the mountains. Th e road winds higher through the foot-hills, and after a day you have reached the beginning of the pass. At the edge of a thick forest, a sign catches your eye.

Easthaven Village—North Mudhollow—West Westhaven Village—Wester Bewair Th u Gobluns!!!

A few miles out you come across a terrible scene: a tearful woman and her two young sons crouch on the far side of a wagon while seven goblins advance from the tree line. A fourth fi gure lays across the ground, his head resting in his son’s lap. Two arrows sprout from his chest. Th e other boy tries to steady a panicking mule. Th e mule has an arrow in its fl ank and pulls at its reins. Th e mother frantically reloads a light crossbow keeping the goblins at range for now, but four of the creatures advance on the fam-ily, trusting their shields.

The goblins hoped for an easy target with the wagon and fl ee towards the forest once the PCs become involved in the fi ght. They put up a token resistance but run when the fi rst of their number is killed.

A er the goblins escape or are killed, read the following: Th e woman drops her crossbow and gathers the two crying lads in her arms. Her face shines with gratitude through tear-streaked cheeks. “A mil-lion times thank you, champions. We were nearly all lost…”

What is your name?

“Forgive me…I’m Stelna. Stelna Miller. The lads are Derm and Ma-ven, and…and their father was named Malcolm. “ Her composure is obviously hanging on by the barest thread, gaze not quite able to move over her husband’s corpse.

Why are you out here alone?

“I’ve been ill, masters. My poor husband…he wouldn’t let me travel un l I was well. We were the last to leave Easthaven” She s ll looks rather peaked; hair ma ed with sweat and hands trembling.

Is your mule alright?

“Jenny seems like she’ll make it if we don’t take our wagon along. Perhaps leaving it where it sits will keep any other goblins at bay. She’ll be able to manage bringing Mal back to the city, at least…” Her hand moves over her mouth to s fl e a sob.

Will you be okay?

“We have our lives, thanks to you. That is all that ma ers.” If the party heals the mule, read the following:

“Oh, Jenny is whole again! We needn’t leave our savings behind after all.” She manages a wan smile. “We thank you.”

If the party uses Remove Disease (or similar eff ects) to improve Stel-na’s health, read the following:

“I feel a great deal more hale already. If ever there was a time I needed my health it’s now. Th ank you!”

If the party raises the father, read the following:

Stelna and her boys burst into joyous tears as they embrace Malcolm, who sits up with a puzzled but relieved expression on his face. “By Th erin,” he exclaims, “I was stone dead, but now I live! Th ank you, friends! You’ll always have a home with us. A thousand times thank you!”

Reputa on points: +1 for rescuing the family and sending them on their way. If they heal the mule, increase by +1. If they use Remove Disease (or similar eff ects) to improve the mother’s health, increase by +1. If they go so far as to use the Staff of Resurrec on (or similar eff ects) on the father, increase by +2 for a total possible gain of 5.

Scene 2: How Do You Worship a God of the

Moon? (C)

After a few hours march, you come to a clearing in the pass. In the middle of the pass itself stands a twisted goblin totem. Boldly erected in the middle of the path, the brazenness suggests the goblins are feeling a bit cockier than usual.

Th is is a religious icon honoring a pagan goblinoid god of the moon. Th e goblin clan who established it take a dim view of any who show it disre-spect. Fourteen goblin warriors and six archers lurk in the tall grass along with their Queen, for any foolish enough to desecrate their holy ground or anyone else who happens along that they can stab. Goblins are not known for being picky.

If the party off ers a worthy sacrifi ce, read the following:

Th e wind carries the sound of smug chuckling, as though someone nearby was pleased by your obsequious act.

The goblins allow the party to pass through the clearing unmolested, though they expect a similar sacrifi ce should the party return this way.

If the party a empts to go around through the tall grass, read the following:

Snarling voices erupt all at once as small green bodies appear from within the foliage to attack!

The goblins a ack the party, but enjoy a +2 bonus to AC due to the tall grass and their smaller size. The goblins do not bother surround-ing the party but instead fi ght toe-to-toe.

If the party crosses the clearing without paying tribute or should they desecrate the totem, read the following:

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480621 5480621 5480621 957863 957863 957863

(12)

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480622 5480622 5480622 957864 957864 957864

m

ask

of

d

eath

A volley of arrows suddenly arcs from a small hillock to the North, and a

female goblin wearing a crown stands to shriek before blowing on a horn. Menacing green faces appear like evil sprouts throughout the grass sur-rounding the clearing—an ambush!

Desecra on of the totem results in the goblins enjoying a +1 morale bonus to a ack and damage rolls for the remainder of the encounter.

Emboldened by the presence of the totem, the goblins fi ght to the death.

ARCHER GOBLIN — CR 2

XP 600

Goblin rogue 3

NE Small humanoid (goblinoid)

Init +3; Senses darkvision 60 .; Percep on –1

DEFENSE

AC 17, touch 14, fl at-footed 14 (+2 armor, +3 Dex, +1 size) hp 16 (3d8)

Fort +2 Ref +6, Will –1

OFFENSE

Speed 30 .

Melee short sword +3 (1d4/19–20)

Ranged Mwk Composite (+1) short bow +6 (1d4+1/×3)

STATISTICS

Str 12, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 6 Base Atk +2; CMB +0; CMD 12

Feats Weapon Focus: Shortbow, Point Blank Shot

Skills Ride +4, Stealth +8, Swim +4; Racial Modifi ers +4 Ride, +4

Stealth Languages Goblin

WARRIOR GOBLIN — CR 2

XP 600

Goblin fi ghter 3

NE Small humanoid (goblinoid)

Init +2; Senses darkvision 60 .; Percep on –1

DEFENSE

AC 20, touch 13, fl at-footed 14 (+6 armor, +2 Dex, +1 shield, +1 size) hp 20 (3d10)

Fort +5, Ref +3, Will –1

OFFENSE

Speed 30 .

Melee Flail +6 (1d6+2, x2)

STATISTICS

Str 15, Dex 14, Con 11, Int 13, Wis 9, Cha 6

Base Atk +3; CMB +5 [+7 for tripping]; CMD 17 [19 vs tripping] Feats Weapon Focus: Flail, Combat Exper se, Improved Trip Skills Jump +3, Ride -1, Stealth +6, Swim -2; Racial Modifi ers +4 Ride,

+4 Stealth Languages Goblin

GOBLIN QUEEN — CR 7

XP 3,200

Goblin adept 8

NE Small humanoid (goblinoid)

Init +3; Senses darkvision 60 .; Percep on 3

DEFENSE

AC 18, touch 13, fl at-footed 15

hp 53

Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +11

OFFENSE

Speed 30 .

Melee +1 Club: +5, 1d6+1

STATISTICS

Str 10, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 11, Wis 17, Cha 11 Base Atk +4; CMB +4; CMD 17

Feats Improved Ini a ve, Lightning Refl exes, Iron Will ,Toughness Skills Heal 11, Knowledge (Religion) 8, Spellcra 8

SPECIAL ABILITIES

Spells Known

3 (DC 16)—Bestow Curse, Lightning Bolt

2 (DC 15)—Cure Moderate Wounds, Scorching Ray x2 1 (DC 14)—Burning hands, Cure light wounds x2,Command

0 (DC 13)—Create water, mending, read magic

GEAR

+1 magic club/divine focus, bracers of armor +2, ring of protec on

+1, Silver crown (worth 250 gp)

Scene 3: Take Me to the Bridge! (D)

Leaving the goblin’s hideous shrine behind, you press on to the mountains. At long last you fi nd yourselves standing before a ravine. Th e Bitternip River rushes south over a rocky and shallow riverbed over one hundred feet below. Two unused wooden pillars at the edge of the cliff and their plainly visible mates across the gorge mark the past existence of a footbridge. Th e remains of this ancient span lie broken below, scattered across each of the twenty-foot wide shorelines as though something deliberately destroyed the bridge, making crossing the ravine impossible.

There are no clear ways around the ravine. Any assump ons based on the map reveal a delay of at least two days. The walls of the cliff are jagged, but climbable. A series of 4 DC 15 Climb checks get any-one safely to the bo om. The diffi culty is reduced to DC 5 if a rope is

ed to one of the wooden pillars. The Bi ernip itself is a fast-moving but fordable river. A series of 4 DC 15 Swim checks get anyone across safely. Stretching a rope from bank to bank reduces this to DC 5. Again, any a empt at fi nding a way across by going up or down river takes an addi onal two days travel.

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480622 5480622 5480622 957864 957864 957864

(13)

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480623 5480623 5480623 957865 957865 957865

Scene 4: This is an Ambush, Not a Trap!

As soon as the fi rst PC climbs out of the water on the far bank, read the following:

Suddenly, a section of cliff wall slides aside to reveal a passage into the mountain itself – a likely place for evil to fester! Th rough the massive open-ing rush fi ve misshapen ogres, battle cries echoopen-ing off the walls of the ravine. Th e blood-curdling cries are answered from above and two large stones come bounding down the cliff wall.

A sixth ogre lurks just within the doorway and will cowardly try to seal the entrance when the third of the fi ve a ackers falls. It takes the ogre three rounds to push the heavy door shut. If the ogre succeeds in closing the door he escapes into the mines. The two ogres above aim rocks at any who try to scale the cliff wall. If the entrance is sealed, the party may fi nd it again with a DC 10

on check. A DC 20 Percep on check fi nds dwarven runes carved into the rock, cleverly hidden among the cracks and crags. Opening the door requires cas ng of “Open/Close,” a DC 25 Use Magic De-vice check to ac vate the dwarven runes (only if found) or a DC 30 Strength check.

OGRE — CR 3

XP 800

CE Large humanoid (giant)

Init –1; Senses darkvision 60 ., low-light vision; Percep on +5

DEFENSE

AC 17, touch 8, fl at-footed 17 (+4 armor, –1 Dex, +5 natural, –1 size) hp 30 (4d8+12)

Fort +6, Ref +0, Will +3

OFFENSE Speed 30 . (40 . base) Melee greatclub +7 (2d8+7) Ranged javelin +1 (1d8+5) Space 10 .; Reach 10 . STATISTICS

Str 21, Dex 8, Con 15, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 7 Base Atk +3; CMB +9; CMD 18

Feats Iron Will, Toughness Skills Climb +7, Percep on +5

Languages Giant

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480623 5480623 5480623 957865 957865 957865

(14)

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480624 5480624 5480624 957866 957866 957866

m

ask

of

d

eath

ACT 3 — Into the Mines…

Upon entering the secret passage it becomes strikingly obvious that you have stumbled on an unknown–to the humans of Whitetower, anyway– dwarven mine. While most likely not the lair of Mort Kemnon it does appear to be an effi cient way up and through the mountains. A hallway leads into the darkness ahead.

Area 1

Th is large chamber is unworked and cavernous, the ceiling stretching easily fi fty feet above and the walls several dozen feet apart. It narrows about fi fty feet from the entryway, stretching off into oppressive blackness

As soon as the fi rst of the PCs clears the threshold of the entrance, a trio of ogres charge.

If one of the ogres falls, or two are brought to 50% of their max HP, they use a withdraw ac on to retreat down the corridor into Area 2.

Area 1A

Th ick stone pillars and metal girders reinforce the ceiling in this part of the cave. Th e wear eaten into the rock betrays its age, yet it appears sturdy enough to last another thousand years. A thick, iron plate, etched with dwarven runes, dangles between two girders on heavy chains.

The runes read “Bi ernip Mining; a subsidiary of Orehammer Amal-gamated Gemstones, LLC. Hard hats required beyond this point.”

A Knowledge [Engineering or History] DC 15 reveals that the ab-sence of wood bracing is indica ve of dwarven architecture. The re ceiling of the cavern, however, has been recently turned into a massive trap with boulders precariously hanging high above. A DC 20 Percep on check spots the rocks hanging fi y feet above the party’s heads. The trap is triggered when a PC steps into the 10’x10’ square at the center of the room. The 100’ area is an enormous X to mark the spot. The X is impossible to see without careful examina on (DC 20 Percep on check). The grem (see Area 10 for more

on on the grem) spent a long me se ng up this trap. If the party avoids the trigger sec on, the grem ac vates the trap itself just to watch the rocks fall to the fl oor. It does not appear to the party.

FALLING STONES TRAP — CR 9

Type mechanical; Percep on DC 20; Disable Device DC 25

Trigger touch; Reset none

Eff ect 1d4 boulders per target. Atk +20 ranged (6d6); mul ple tar-gets (all tartar-gets in a 50 by 40 area)

If the trap is triggered, Area 1A becomes Diffi cult Terrain.

Area 2

Even larger than the previous chamber, this room extends along an uphill

slope to the south, and terminates at a wide and crumbling stairwell to the north.

The southern end of the chamber slopes upward gradually un l it meets with the roof, some forty feet high. From the top of this hill stand two ogres, along with a broken minecart laden with javelins. Any ogres that survived Area 1 moves up the hill to reinforce the snipers, and join their fellows in raining javelins down on the PCs. The ogres here fi ght to the death.

Area 3

Th e massive stairway brings you to a landing dominated by the empty chamber ahead and to your right. To the left, a long tunnel appears re-markably shaped by hand just past a natural fork. Th e air here has a foul and fetid stench.

A quartet of ogres with makeshi tower shields charge the PCs as soon as they make their way past the fork. The ogres a empt to Bull Rush the PCs down the grimy slide [Area 3a] into Area 4.

Area 3a

Th e stone is very slick beneath your feet, worn smooth by erosion over many years, and coated in a thick and viscous slime.

If a character is Bull Rushed into Area 3a, they must make a DC 30 Acroba cs check to keep from sliding all the way to the bo om into Area 4. Walking downhill or uphill while adjacent to a wall requires a DC 20 Acroba cs check to keep from losing balance and sliding down; avoiding the walls increases the check to 30.

Area 3b

Th e tunnel turns drastically to the left, becoming a proper hallway. A pair of heavy stone doors stand shut at the end of the passage.

If the PCs search the hallway, they fi nd what appears to be a secret passage that slides down if two or more people stand in the indi-cated (trap) squares. The lever-like hinge takes 5 rounds to descend to the point of triggering the trap (all the while exposing what ap-pears to be a secret message in Dwarven runes), -1 round for each character standing in the area.

SEESAW GRAVEL TRAP — CR 10

Type mechanical; Percep on DC 25; Disable Device DC 25

Trigger touch; Reset none

Eff ect 8d6 Crushing damage (DC 20 Refl ex for half), and the targets are buried.

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480624 5480624 5480624 957866 957866 957866

(15)

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480625 5480625 5480625 957867 957867 957867

Characters take 1d6 points of nonlethal damage per minute while buried. If such a character falls unconscious, he must make a DC 15 Cons tu on check each minute. If it fails, he takes 1d6 points of le-thal damage each minute un l freed or dead.

Characters who are not buried can dig out their friends. In 1 min-ute, using only her hands, a character can clear rocks and debris equal to fi ve mes her heavy load limit. The amount of loose stone that fi lls the area weighs 2 tons (4,000 pounds). Armed with a shov-el, a digger can clear loose stone twice as quickly. A buried character can a empt to free himself with a DC 25 Strength check.

Area 4

Th e bottom of the slick incline is waist-deep with a dark and foul smelling sludge. You realize, to your horror, that you have fallen into a small pond of ogre feces.

Every living creature without the Stench ability that enters area 4 must succeed on a DC 25 For tude save to avoid becoming sickened. This save may be a empted each round. If somebody has fallen while in Area 3a, they enter Area 4 head-fi rst, and are submerged in the fecal pond. Standing up requires a full round ac on, and they are nauseated for 1d3 rounds unless they succeed on a DC 37 For tude save, and must s ll save against becoming Sickened as normal.

An omox named Feculula has made its home in the bo om of the pit for many years.Smaller and weaker than most of his kin, he’s keen to avoid doing anything that would draw the a en on of great-er demons. He remains mostly content to stay hidden away down in his hole, though whenever a living creature should blunder into his foul cistern, he falls upon them gleefully.

FECULULA — CR 11

XP 12,800

Male Demon, Omox

CE Small Outsider (Aqua c, Chao c, Demon, Evil, Extraplanar) Init +13; Senses Darkvision (120 feet); Percep on +28

DEFENSE

AC 25, touch 21, fl at-footed 15 (+9 Dex, +1 size, +4 natural, +1 dodge) hp 116 (13d10+65)

Fort +13, Ref +15, Will +12

Defensive Abili es DR 5/good; Immune acid, cri cal hits, disease, electricity, paralysis, poison, polymorph, precision damage, sleep, stunning; Resist acid 10, cold 10, fi re 10; SR 21

OFFENSE

Speed 40 ., Climbing (20 feet), Swimming (80 feet) Melee Slam x2 (Demon, Omox) +20 x2 (1d4+6/20/x2) and

Special A acks Grab, Slams and Slime +3d6 acid, Slime (DC 21), Smothering

Spell-Like Abili es Acid Fog (1/day); Control Water (3/day); Create Water (At will); Gaseous Form (3/day); Liquid Leap; Poison (3/

day); S nking Cloud (3/day); Summon (level 4, 1 omox 30% or 1d4

babaus 60%); Telekinesis (At will); Teleport, Greater (self plus 50

lbs. of objects on person)

STATISTICS

Str 22, Dex 29, Con 20, Int 15, Wis 19, Cha 21

Base Atk +13; CMB +18 (+22 Grappling); CMD 38 (can’t be Tripped) Feats Combat Refl exes (10 AoO/round), Dodge, Improved Ini a ve,

Lightning Refl exes, Mobility, Spring A ack, Vital Strike

Skills Acroba cs +25, Climb +30, Escape Ar st +25, Fly +11, Knowl-edge (Dungeoneering) +18, Knowledge (Planes) +18, Percep on

+28, Sense Mo ve +20, Stealth +29, Swim +30 Modifi ers +10

Stealth when submerged, Acroba cs (Jump) +3

Languages Abyssal, Celes al, Draconic; Telepathy (100 feet) SQ Amorphous (Ex), Amphibious (Ex), Compression (Ex)

TREASURE

If the PCs care to root around in the sludge, they might be lucky enough to uncover a Ring of Delayed Doom (DC 30 percep on check).

Area 5

Th is room is dismal and silent, its gray walls covered with grime from ages of neglect. A stairway stretches upward to the north, and a pair of double doors nestle in the upper corner of the room. To the west, a softly glowing forge sits half-buried in rubble. A pair of ghostly dwarven miners fl oat at the bottom of the steps, hunched over their spectral lunchboxes and talking quietly to each other.

If the PCs approach the ghosts to speak with them, read the follow-ing.

A gust of frigid wind blows past your party and another spirit materializes near the stairs. “Oi!” he shouts at the seated dwarves. “Get off yer rumps ya lazy sacks of shale! Tis long past mealtime and there’s digging to be done!” Th e miners squint up at the shade of their former foreman. “Sod off , ya lousy oremonger!” growls the dwarf on the left. “We’ve yet to be paid for the work we’ve done, and we’ll not be moving til there’s coin in our purse! Th e mines stay shut down!“

Th e foreman scowls. “I’ll not be spoken to like that by the likes of you pebble pickers! Yer both fi red!”

“You’ll not be fi ring anyone today,” the dwarf says with a smile. “We’re union—Rockbreaker’s Local 412—and until we see a paycheck, the lads and I are on strike!”

“Shtrk!” agrees his companion around a mouthful of mutton.

Th e foreman snorts angrily and disappears in a blast of freezing wind. Th e miners lean back against the stairs to fi nish their meal, and soon fade away, leaving only a faint stain of ectoplasm behind.

If the PCs choose to a ack the ghosts, read the following:

Th e dwarves set down their lunches and rise into the air as you approach. “Well, well,” says the dwarf on the left, “what do we have here? Looks like

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480625 5480625 5480625 957867 957867 957867

(16)

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480626 5480626 5480626 957868 957868 957868

m

ask

of

d

eath

management’s bringin’ in a bunch of lousy scabs to do our jobs. I think we

should send ‘em a message, don’t you?”

His companion slaps a meaty fi st into an open palm. “Aye,” he says, “let’s bore ‘em a new coal hole!”

If the ghosts are le alone they vanish as the PCs approach the stairs and do not interact with the party in any way. See Area 11 for details on the Ghost Miners.

Anyone who cares to look inside the forge sees through to the other side to Area 6. A so orange glow comes from beneath the metal grate that composes the forge’s “fl oor.” The glow dances tan-talizingly across the surface of a ruby-encrusted golden sword, seen on the other side!

BURNING FORGE TRAP — CR 10

Type magical; Percep on DC 25; Disable Device DC 25 Trigger touch; Reset automa c a er 1 hour

Eff ect As soon as a target crawls into the space between the two entrances to the forge, a miniature portcullis slams up and shut on either side, sealing them in. A DC 28 strength check can re-open the portcullis, but the heated bars do 1d6 fi re damage to anyone who a empts it. Lava bubbles up between the grate to fi ll the bo om half (about a foot deep) of the forge. Characters trapped in the lava take 8d6 fi re damage a round for 5 rounds, a er which the lava recedes and the doors slide open once more.

A DC 20 Refl ex save followed by a DC 20 Acroba cs check allows the target to roll through to escape unscathed. If they succeed on the Refl ex save but not the Acroba cs check, the sharp spikes of the portcullis stab them (3d6 damage) and hold them in place as the trap ac vates, burning their legs with par al exposure to lava for 2d6 damage a round for 5 rounds, when the trap selfdeac -vates. Forcing the portcullis open to release a character before the dura on expires requires a DC 26 Strength check.

Area 6

Th is rectangular area is lit by the soft glow of the forge to the south. Hunks of rock decorate the fl oor around the forge, and have utterly sealed off a former entry from the north. Standing just beyond the edge of the forge upright in a fl oor sconce is a fantastically ornate longsword, its naked blade fl ashing precious mithral and platinum, and its hilt encrusted with fabu-lous rubies the size of a man’s thumbnail.

This is the Sword of Ogre Decapita on. Refer to the appendix on Magical Items for details.

Area 7

A grand and cavernous hall looms high into the ceiling. Along the southern portion of the room a metal and stone-worked mining track stretches east to west, forking downhill to the south. Th e line terminates abruptly to the west and south into a collapsed hill of stone and to the east at a large iron

door. A set of fi ne double doors stand at the north end of the room and in the north-western corner a stairway winds upward.

The two ogres wai ng here work together to heave a mining cart full of heavy stones down the stairs at the PCs (large projec le, +9 to hit, 30 foot range. 6d8 bludgeoning damage to target, +3d6 to all adjacent. Ref DC 20 for 1/2 damage).

There is another cart parked halfway between the tunnel to Area 6 and the junc on leading to Area 11/Area 17. A huge barrel, fi lled with 250 doses of black powder, sits in this cart. A twenty-fi ve foot long fuse extends from the barrel. When lit, it takes the fuse fi ve rounds to reach the barrel. On round six a er being lit, the barrel explodes for 15d6 points of fi re damage in a 40 foot radius (Refl ex DC 15 for 1/2).

If the barrel is detonated while adjacent to one of the piles of rubble it has a 50% chance of clearing the path. A DC 10 Knowledge [Engineering] check allows a character to discover several key points in the rubble where the explosion could do the most damage, in-creasing the chances of success. With fi ve minutes eff ort, the PC can clear her chosen pile of rubble completely. The southern passage opens to Area 6 avoiding the Forge Trap. The western path allows further travel north – avoiding the staircase – or southwest, deeper into the mountain.

Area 8

Th is smaller chamber appears to be an administrative area of the mine. An imposing stone chair, lined with now rotting silk cushions, sits with its back to the western wall. Th e eastern corner is taken up by a small cell furnished with a wooden cot and refuse bucket. A beautiful woman crouches in the corner of the cell. Th ree massive ogres, one male and two female, stand around the cage forming a living wall between you and the helpless maiden.

The Papa and two Mamas of the ogre clan guard the cage with their lives. The maiden within is Syreen, a green hag in disguise. She leads the ogre clan, having trained the two Mamas as witches in her own coven. Word reached Syreen that powerful adventurers were on their way through the mountains. A quick cast of Vision confi rmed the rumors and set her mind to a plan. She convinced the ogres to act as her captors, crea ng a “trap” for the heroes. In actuality, Syreen knows the ogres cannot win the fi ght. If they somehow do, her “trap” was a success. If the should fall in ba le, however, her plan is 1) get rescued by the party, 2) bat her eyes at the male PC with the highest charisma and 3) a empt to pull him aside for a tryst. While doing busy trys ng she transforms and a empt to devour her prey before running to the hills. Syreen has seen the ghosts of the dwarven min-ers but has never approached them. She fi nds ghosts icky. She has no informa on useful to that quest.

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480626 5480626 5480626 957868 957868 957868

(17)

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480627 5480627 5480627 957869 957869 957869

MA OGRE — CR 5

XP 1,600

Female Ogre Witch 3

CE Large Humanoid (Giant)

Init -1; Senses Darkvision (60 feet), Low-Light Vision; Percep on +10

DEFENSE

AC 13, touch 8, fl at-footed 13 (-1 Dex, -1 size, +5 natural) hp 44 (4d8+3d6+14)

Fort +6, Ref +1, Will +6

OFFENSE

Speed 40 .

Melee +1 Spear +8 (2d6+7/20/x3) and Unarmed Strike +7 (1d4+4/20/

x2)

Space 10 .; Reach 10 .

Special A acks Evil Eye (DC 12), Misfortune (DC 12)

STATISTICS

Str 19, Dex 8, Con 13, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 9 Base Atk +4; CMB +9; CMD 18

Feats Extra Hex, Extra Hex, Iron Will, Toughness +7

Skills Climb +9, Fly -3, Heal +8, In midate +5, Percep on +10, Stealth

-5, Survival +10

Languages Common, Giant

SQ Arcane Familiar Nearby, Cackle, Coven (Ex), Deliver Touch Spells Through Familiar (Su), Empathic Link with Familiar (Su), Share Spells with Familiar

Combat Gear +1 Spear

SPECIAL ABILITIES

Witch Spells Known (CL 3, 7 melee touch, 2 ranged touch):

2 (1/day, DC 13)—blindness/deafness

1 (3/day, DC 12)—cure light wounds x2,enlarge person

0 (at will)—stabilize, message, dancing lights, detect magic

PA OGRE — CR 6

XP 2,400

Male Ogre An paladin 4

CE Large Humanoid (Giant)

Init -1; Senses Darkvision (60 feet), Low-Light Vision; Percep on +5

DEFENSE

AC 22, touch 8, fl at-footed 22 (+9 armor, -1 Dex, -1 size, +5 natural) hp 66 (4d10+4d8+24)

Fort +11, Ref +2, Will +8

Defensive Abili esImmune disease

OFFENSE

Speed 30 .

Melee +1 Vicious Mithral Greatsword +14/+9 (3d6+10/19-20/x2) Space 10 .; Reach 10 .

Special A acks Smite Good (2/day) Spell-Like Abili es Detect Good (At will)

An paladin Spells Known (CL 1, 12 melee touch, 5 ranged touch):

1 (1/day, DC 12)—doom

STATISTICS

Str 23, Dex 8, Con 15, Int 9, Wis 10, Cha 12 Base Atk +7; CMB +14; CMD 23

Feats Iron Will, Power A ack -2/+4, Toughness +8, Weapon Focus: Greatsword

Skills Acroba cs -6, Escape Ar st -6, Fly -8, In midate +8, Percep on

+5, Ride -6, Stealth -10, Swim +1

Languages Giant

SQ An paladin Channel Nega ve Energy 2d6 (1/day) (DC 13) (Su), Aura of Cowardice (Su), Aura of Evil (Ex), Channel Nega ve Energy (Su), Cruelty: Shaken (4r) (DC 13) (Su), Touch of Corrup on (2d6) (3/day) (Su), Unholy Resilience (Su)

Combat Gear +1 Vicious Mithral Greatsword, +2 Dastard Banded Mail

SYREEN — CR 5

XP 1,600

Green Hag

CE Medium monstrous humanoid

Init +1; Senses darkvision 90 .; Percep on +15

DEFENSE

AC 19, touch 11, fl at-footed 18 (+1 Dex, +8 natural) hp 58 (9d10+9)

Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +7 SR 16

OFFENSE

Speed 30 ., swim 30 .

Melee 2 claws +13 (1d4+4 plus weakness)

Spell-Like Abili es (CL 9th) Constant—pass without trace, tongues, water breathing; At will—alter self, dancing lights, ghost sound (DC 12), invisibility, pyrotechnics (DC 14), tree shape, whispering wind

STATISTICS

Str 19, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 15, Wis 13, Cha 14 Base Atk +9; CMB +13; CMD 24

Feats Alertness, Blind-Fight, Combat Cas ng, Decei ul, Great tude

Skills Bluff +13, Disguise +13, Knowledge (arcana) +11, Percep on

+15, Sense Mo ve +9, Stealth +13, Swim +18

Languages Aklo, Common, Giant SQ mimicry

SPECIAL ABILITIES

Weakness (Su) A green hag’s claws sap strength from those she strikes. Each me a green hag hits a foe with her claw a ack, the vic m takes 2 points of Strength damage unless he resists the weak-ness with a DC 16 For tude save. Alterna vely, a green hag can at-tempt to infl ict even greater weakness on a foe by making a touch a ack—this variant requires a standard ac on, and cannot be at-tempted in the same round the hag makes claw a acks. The oppo-nent touched must succeed on a DC 16 For tude save or take 2d4

points of Strength damage. The save DC is Charisma-based. Mimicry (Ex) A green hag can imitate the sounds of almost any

ani-mal found near its lair.

paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016 paizo.com #3830741, Kyle Scott <Raikaze0@gmail.com>, Jan 18, 2016

5480627 5480627 5480627 957869 957869 957869

Figure

Updating...

References

Updating...

Related subjects :