(2) 6SHFLDO(YHQW . 3DJH0DGLVRQ+HLJKWV$FWLYH$GXOW&HQWHU
(4) 63(&,$/(9(17 . BINGO RETURNS THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 9, 2021! WE KNOW YOU’VE BEEN WAITING SINCE IT WAS SHUT DOWN IN MARCH 2020. IT’S BACK! WEEKLY THURSDAY BINGO RETURNS TO THE CENTER THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 9, 2021 AT 1:00 PM. $1.00 BUY IN (INCLUDES 1ST CARD). $0.25 EACH ADDITIONAL CARD. CARDS MUST BE PURCHASED NO LATER THAN 12:55PM IN ORDER TO PLAY. COME EARLY SO YOU HAVE EVERYTHING DONE AND ARE READY TO PLAY AT 1:00 PM! PLEASE BE ADVISED: ALL PARTICIPANTS WILL BE REQUIRED TO SIGN A CODE OF CONDUCT PRIOR TO PLAYING..
(6) (9(176 MHAAC FALL FEST Friday, September 24, 2021 12:30 pm - 2:30 pm )5(( &RPHKHOSXVVD\ JRRGE\HWR6XPPHU DQG+HOOR)DOO :HZLOOKDYHFLGHUDQGGRQXWVD SXPSNLQGHFRUDWLQJFRQWHVWDQG $QG\DQG-R\ZLOOEHEDFNWRODVVR XSVRPHWXQHVIRU\RXU OLVWHQLQJDQGGDQFLQJHQWHUWDLQPHQW. )ULGD\VMXVWJRWDORWPRUHIXQ -RLQXVDQGRXUVSRQVRUV IRUWKHVH)DQWDVWLFDOO\)XQ)5(( )ULGD\(YHQWV. %DOGZLQ+RXVH%LQJR )ULGD\2FWREHU SP /XQFKDQG/HDUQZ'U6KDQERP )ULGD\2FWREHU SP $PHULFDQ+RXVH7UR\+DOORZHHQ3DUW\ )ULGD\2FWREHU SP %DOGZLQ+RXVH/XQFKHRQ7DON )ULGD\1RYHPEHU SP . . MHAAC Mini Health Fair & Flu Shot Clinic Thursday, September 30, 2021 10:00 am - 12:00 pm FREE! Walgreens on 11 and John R will be providing Flu shots. Sponsors will be offering some FREE health assessments and screenings, important information, free giveaways and a chance to win a great prize too!. 3OHDVHUHJLVWHUDWOHDVWRQHZHHN EHIRUHWKHGDWHRIWKHVHHYHQWV E\FDOOLQJWKH$$&. MHAAC ADVISORY BOARD. 2021 NOMINATIONS &ELECTIONS Each year the Center elects two new members to serve a three-year term on the Advisory Board. You may nominate yourself or someone else that has an interest in the progress of the Center. Nominations will be accepted the last 10 days of September ( September 17 - September 30). The election will be on October 7 & 8, 2021. Voting is open to anyone over 50 yrs. of age. You must be a resident of Madison Heights to run for an Advisory Board position. The Board meets monthly with the staff to discuss various concerns. Please call the Center at 248-545-3464 if you have any questions.. 3DJH0DGLVRQ+HLJKWV$FWLYH$GXOW&HQWHU
(8) SEPTEMBER 2021 TRANSPORTATION SCHEDULE 720$.($1$332,170(17)253,&.83 &$//
(9) . . . Sunday. Monday. Tuesday. Wednesday. Thursday. Friday. Saturday. 1) MEIJER CENTER. 2) DR APPTS, ERRANDS CENTER. 3). 4). 5). 6 7) DR APPTS, CENTER CLOSED ERRANDS LABOR DAY CENTER. 8) MEIJER CENTER. 9) DR APPTS, ERRANDS CENTER. 10). 11). 12). 13) DR APPTS, ERRANDS CENTER WALMART. 14) DR APPTS, ERRANDS CENTER. 15) MEIJER CENTER. 16) DR APPTS, ERRANDS CENTER. 17). 18). 19). 20) DR APPTS, ERRANDS CENTER WALMART. 21) DR APPTS, ERRANDS CENTER. 22) MEIJER CENTER. 23) DR APPTS, ERRANDS CENTER. 24). 25). 26). 27) DR APPTS, ERRANDS CENTER WALMART. 28) DR APPTS, ERRANDS CENTER. 29) MEIJER CENTER. 30) DR APPTS, ERRANDS CENTER. Now offering FREE transportation!!. Federal Mandate. The Active Adult Center received a grant through SMART which enables us to now offer free transportation to residents who are age 50 and up or disabled. We are able to offer this thru 2023 or until the monies in the grant run out. Transportation rules and schedule below still apply.. All drivers and riders must wear masks through January 18, 2022* *Subject to change.. 7UDQVSRUWDWLRQ6FKHGXOH. 021'$<6:DOPDUW$03LFNXSKRXUWLPHOLPLW 021'$<678(6'$<6 7+856'$<6Doctor Appointments up to 7 miles - AND Errands and to the Center. Errand trips inside Madison Heights and within (1) mile of Madison Heights that we do not go to on another day (besides Meijer ) :('1(6'$<6Meijer and to the Center . *Riders must be ready 15 minutes before their pick up time and may not get picked up until 15 minutes after their pick up time depending on the schedule, traffic and the weather. *We need your name, your address and your phone number when you call to make a bus reservation. *We need your doctor’s name, address and phone number if you are making a doctor appointment. *Please limit your groceries to what will fit in two standard sized cloth bags. *Carts and walkers must be standard size and placed in front of you in the seat or at the back of the van (per driver’s instructions). *Aisles must remain clear at all times per safety regulations. *No riding of the wheelchair lift unless you are in a wheelchair or you have a walker with a seat and are unable to walk up the steps. *One stop per rider per day. Please remember we will offer limited assistance when requested. If we deem you need assistance beyond what we can provide, we reserve the right to require you to bring someone with you to assist you or to deny service if we feel your safety or others’ safety is at risk. *We are not responsible for any missing or broken items. ***For special circumstances and unique situations that may arise, please contact the center for possible availability.***
(11) 13). 12). CENTER CLOSED LABOR DAY. Monday. . . 24) 10:00-BUNCO 12:30-FALL FEST. 17) 10:00-BUNCO 12:45-ART AS THERAPY *ADVISORY BOARD NOMINATIONS BEGIN*. VWDII. $VZHEULQJPRUHDQGPRUHRI\RXUIDYRULWH FODVVHVWULSVDQGVHUYLFHV\RX·OOEHFHUWDLQWR )$//EDFNLQORYHZLWKWKH&HQWHUDQGLW·V. )$//%DFNLQORYH . 30) 10:00-MINI HEALTH FAIR 10:00-WALKING CLUB 11:00-CHAIR ZUMBA 1:00-BINGO. 23) 10:00-WALKING CLUB 11:00-CHAIR ZUMBA 1:00-BINGO. 4). Saturday. 25). 18). 10) 11) 9:00-MASSAGE THERAPY 10:00-BUNCO. 3) 9:30-REFLEXOLOGY 10:00-BUNCO. Friday. 3DJH0DGLVRQ+HLJKWV$FWLYH$GXOW&HQWHU
(12) . . . 1:00-GRIEF SUPPORT. 29) 8:30-HARVEST ADVENTURE 10:00-KNIT & CROCHET 11:00-TAI CHI 12;30-DOMINOES 1:00-COMPUTER HELP. 27. 26). 28) 9:00-CARDIO DRUMMING 10:00-WALKING CLUB 11:00-CHAIR YOGA. 22) 10:00-KNIT & CROCHET 10:00-MEDITATION 11:00-TAI CHI 12;30-DOMINOES 1:00-COMPUTER HELP ARK ENCOUNTER DEPT. 21) 9:00-CARDIO DRUMMING 1:00-WATERCOLOR CLASS 10:00-WALKING CLUB 11:00-CHAIR YOGA 1:00-ADVISORY BD MTG. 16) 10:00-WALKING CLUB 11:00-CHAIR ZUMBA 1:00-BINGO ARK ENCOUNTER RET. 9) 10:00-WALKING CLUB 11:00-CHAIR ZUMBA 1:00-BINGO. 8) 10:00-KNIT & CROCHET 11:00-TAI CHI 12;30-DOMINOES 1:00-COMPUTER HELP 15) 10:00-KNIT & CROCHET 10:00-MEDITATION 11:00-TAI CHI 12;30-DOMINOES 1:00-COMPUTER HELP 1:00-AREN’T YOU CRAFTY. 2) 10:00-WALKING CLUB 11:00-CHAIR ZUMBA. Thursday. 1) 8:30-PODIATRIST 10:00-KNIT & CROCHET 11:00-TAI CHI 12;30-DOMINOES 1:00-COMPUTER HELP. Wednesday. 20). 14) 9:00-CARDIO DRUMMING 10:00-WALKING CLUB 11:00-CHAIR YOGA 1:00-BUILDING MEETING. 7) 9:00-CARDIO DRUMMING 10:00-WALKING CLUB 11:00-CHAIR YOGA 12:00-GOLF BANQUET. Tuesday. 19). 1:00-GRIEF SUPPORT. 6). 5). Sunday. 6(37(0%(5216,7(352*5$06 .
(13) '$<75,36 29(51,*+775$9(/ Attendance will be at traveler’s own risk with plans subject to change. x x x x x x x x x. All day and over night trips will meet and check in on the bus in the back of the parking lot unless otherwise notified. If you would like to request a flyer on a specific trip, please give us your email or come in and pick one up. You may come in and make your payment, mail your payment in, or drop it off in our drop box. When registering and paying with the Center, cash or check is accepted only. Please make checks payable to City of Madison Heights. We are not giving receipts out at this time. Your check copy in your check book is your receipt. If you wish to pay via credit card, please call Bianco, Shoreline or Collette directly. (Overnight trips only.) Day Trips MUST be paid in full at time of registration. For any further information please contact the Center at 248-545-3464.. 0DJQLILFHQW0LG0LFKLJDQ 7XHVGD\2FWREHU DP$SSUR[SP 5HV1RQ5HV. Your Bianco trip includes: Round trip transportation via deluxe motorcoach, lunch at The Brookshire Inn Golf Club, Heavenly Scent Herb Farm, Spicer’s Orchards and Farm Market.. )LUH.HHSHUV. 7XHVGD\1RYHPEHU DPDSSUR[SP 5HV1RQ5HV . Your Bianco trip includes: Round trip transportation via deluxe highway motorcoach, FireKeepers Casino. Your casino package includes a $20.00 slot credit and $5.00 to be used for food, slot play or gift shop.. 1LWH/LJKWVDW0,6. :HGQHVGD\'HFHPEHU SPDSSUR[SP 5HV1RQ5HV . Your Bianco trip includes: Round trip transportation via deluxe highway motorcoach, buffet lunch at Jerry’s Pub in Brooklyn Michigan, Nite Lights at Michigan International Speedway. You will encounter millions of dancing lights, 65 different themes, a 250 foot lighted tunnel and a forest of mega trees, all while driving on the track and pit row at MIS. 2JOHED\:LQWHU)HVWLYDORI/LJKWV 'HFHPEHU SSGEORFF. Your Bianco trip includes: Round trip transportation via deluxe highway motorcoach, 1 night at OglebayHotel & Resort, 1 breakfast, 1 lunch, 1 dinner, shopping at Oglebay Holiday Market Place, Oglebay Winter Festival of Lights, guided tour of the David Warther Carvings & gift shop, traditional Amish lunch at Der Dutchman, shopping at Carlisle Gifts.. +ROLGD\VDW0HDGRZ%URRN+DOO /XQFK :HGQHVGD\'HFHPEHU &KHFNLQ%HIRUHDP 7ULS'HSDUWVDP 7ULS5HWXUQV$SSUR[SP 5HV1RQ5HV. Meadow Brook Hall is the historic estate built by one of the automotive aristocracy’s most remarkable women, Matilda Dodge Wilson, and her second husband, lumber broker Alfred Wilson. Tour the elegant rooms of the grand manor all decorated for the holidays. It is sure to be a holiday treasure! After our tour we will enjoy lunch at Meadow Brook Hall, which includes pesto grilled chicken breast with wild rice pilaf, Brussels sprouts and fire-roasted tomato cream, seven bean blend with shredded kale and sweet onion-herb vinaigrette, spiced carrot cake with cream cheese icing, whipped cream and festive holiday garnish, a bakery roll and butter, and coffee, hot tea and ice water. There is a gluten free option available. Please let us know at time of sign up if you will need a gluten free meal. *Note there are limited tickets for this trip. Sign up early!. *XOI&RDVW*HWDZD\ 0DUFK SSGEORFF. Your Shoreline trip includes: Modern Motorcoach Transportation, 9 Nights Lodging, 9 Breakfast - 1 Lunch - 4 Dinners, Tour of Huntsville, U.S. Space & Rocket Center, Huntsville Historic Depot, Ava Maria Grotto, Dolphin Watch Cruise, Alabama Gulf Coast Music Hall, Fairhope & Storybook Castle, USS Alabama Battleship Park, Naval Aviation Museum, Legends in Concert Show, Monroeville’s Courthouse Museum, Selma Civil Rights Tour - AME Church, Hyundai Motors Tour, Tuskegee Airmen Inc., Birmingham Civil Rights Tour, Luggage Handling, Tax & Tips on Included Meals.. &UXLVLQ¶.HQWXFN\*DQJVWHU6W\OH 0D\ SSGEORFF . Your Bianco tour includes: Round trip transportation via deluxe highway motorcoach, 1 night at the Holiday Inn in Florence, KY, 1 breakfast & 1 dinner, National Museum of the US Air Force, BB Riverboats Dinner Cruise, guided underworld tour of Newport Kentucky, Newport on the Levee..
(15) . . +($/7+ :(//1(66 . 0DVVDJH7KHUDS\. (;(5&,6((48,30(1786$*( . )ULGD\6HSWHPEHU DPSP 0DVVDJH7KHUDSLVW+HLGL*RJDWH. The Center has 2 treadmills, one seated elliptical machine, one standing elliptical , 1 recumbent bike, 1 rower-rider, four NuStep machines, small hand weights and an aerobic step. A short training session is required before first time usage.. . Massages are 30 minutes long and cost only $25. Appointments are required and will be taken on a first come - first serve basis. Call Heidi to make an appointment at 248-943-6585.. . 7KHUHLVDVPDOOIHHWRXVHWKHHTXLSPHQW $0.50 per day for both residents and nonresidents $4 per month or $30 per year for residents $5 per month or $40 per year for nonresidents Fees pay for upkeep and purchase of equipment. ,1&(17(5'523,1+($/7+&/$66(6 Tuesdays @ 9:00 am - Cardio Drumming with Kat Tuesdays @ 11:00 am – Chair Yoga with Paul Wednesdays @ 11:00 am -Tai Chi with Sam Thursdays @ 11:00 am - Zumba Gold & Toning w/ Barb. )RRW&DUH. :HGQHVGD\6HSWHPEHU DP²DP We are happy to be able to have Dr. Adas back in the Center for in Center appointments. Dr. Adas has been providing foot care for over 30 years at his office in Huntington Woods. Call Dr Adas’s office @ (248) 478-6870 for an appointment at the AAC.. *ULHI6XSSRUW*URXS QG WK0RQGD\V SPSP )5((. $5.00 class fee to be paid directly to instructor. Punch cards available 10 classes for $40. All exercises can be done standing or sitting, so that means it’s great for any fitness level All classes run for approximately 1 hour. Check calendar for any class cancellations.. . This support group meets the 2nd and 4th Monday each month from 1-2:00 pm. For more information call Paul at 248-8426856.. ... 0HGLWDWLRQ. :HGQHVGD\V6HSWHPEHU DP )5((. :DONLQJ&OXE. 7XHVGD\V 7KXUVGD\V DP )5((. One of the best exercises is walking. Join your friends and get your steps in on the trail behind the Center. Meet your fellow walkers every Tuesday and Thursday mornings at 10 am. If you are interested in joining please call the Center for more information at 248.545.3464.. 5HIOH[RORJ\E\5REHUWD. )ULGD\6HSWHPEHU DP³SP +DQGVa PLQXWHV
(16) )HHWa PLQXWHV
(17) Reflexology is the application of appropriate pressure to specific points and areas on the feet, hands, or ears. Reflexology is beneficial for restoring balance and harmony in the body and releasing tension. Call Roberta at 586-242-5751 to make an appointment. . Meditation is for everyone. The practice of meditation has been around for thousands of years. It's been shown to help treat or manage anxiety, depression, general stress, and other health/ life issues. Amanda Stein, LMSW is a certified meditation teacher with 11 years experience in the field of mental health. She has a passion for community building and supporting others in achieving their goals. In this class there will be education on meditation and other coping skills, information of resources, discussion, and quiet time to relax and practice meditation. Everyone is welcome to attend; whether you're able to meditate for 30 seconds or 30 minutes. This is a time for both community and caring for yourself.. $UW$V7KHUDS\. )ULGD\6HSWHPEHU SPSP 5HV1RQ5HV 3DLGDW)URQW'HVN *September‘s Project: Mandala drawing project . . No experience is necessary. Art therapy is something for everyone! *Taught by certified Art Therapist Jennifer Josefosky.*. 3DJH0DGLVRQ+HLJKWV$FWLYH$GXOW&HQWHU
(19) When The Spine Shifts.... • Advanced Laser Cataract Surgery. ➢ Muscle Spasm. ➢ Bone Spurs. ➢ Muscle Tension. ➢ Canal Stenosis. ➢ Neck Pain. ➢ Decreased Motion ➢ Numbness/Tingling. • General Ophthalmology • Conveniently located on Woodward south of 12 Mile. ➢ Migraine Headaches. ➢ Asymmetry. ➢ Carpal Tunnel (Wrist) ➢ Muscular Imbalance. Steven A. Shanbom • Blade Free All - Laser Lasik M.D. Board Certified Ophthalmologist. ➢ Arm Pain. ➢ Degenerated Joints ➢ Pinched Nerve ➢ Digestive Disorders ➢ Poor Posture ➢ Disc Herniations. * Most insurances accepted. ➢ Rotator Cuff Issues. ➢ Dizziness (Vertigo) ➢ Shoulder Pain ➢ Dowager’s Hump. ➢ Sinus Conditions. ➢ Fatigue. ➢ Spinal Decay. ➢ Fibromyalgia. ➢ Strength Issues. ➢ Golfer’s Elbow. ➢ Tendonitis. ➢ Headaches. ➢ Tennis Elbow. ➢ Hearing Issues. ➢ Thoracic Outlet. ➢ Itchiness. ➢ TMJ Issues. ➢ Low Back Pain. ➢ Upper Back Pain. ➢ Mid Back Pain. ➢ Vision Issues. 28107 JOHN R, MADISON HEIGHTS. (248) 542-3492 FAX: (248) 542-3494. firstname.lastname@example.org Call To Schedule A Complementary Consultation It’s a conversation, not a commitment. THIS SPACE IS abktreeservice.com • Tree Removals • Tree/Bush Trimming • Tree Pruning and Shaping • Storm Damage • Brush Removal • Lot Clearing • Stump Grinding NEW HORIZONS CO-OP 31101 Edward, Madison Heights Please Call Our Leasing Office at 248-585-0999 To Schedule a Tour!. AFFORDABLE RENTAL COMMUNITIES FOR SENIORS. for 70 years as a mission-driven non-profit, CSI exists solely to provide the highest quality, affordable housing communities possible for seniors. Resident Members Benefit From • Social Interaction • Continuing Amenities • Heat & Water Included. • Individual Heating and Cooling • Rent Subsidized (30% adjusted Income) • On-Site Beauty Shop • On-Site Laundry • On-Site Service Coordinator • Near Oakland Mall and Meijer. 4-D-5-5 . Education • Senior • Diversity & Open Empowerment Membership • Not-For-Profit • Democratic Control Operation. (248) 982-7362. MADISON HEIGHTS CO-OP 500 E. Irving, Madison Heights Please Call Our Leasing Office at 248-585-2336 To Schedule a Tour!. Amenities. • All Utilities Included • Individual Heating & Cooling • Rent Subsidized (30% adjusted income) • On-Site Service Coordinator JOIN OUR WAITLIST • Laundry Room on Every Floor (800) 593-3052 www.csi.coop TDD (800) 348-7011 • Near Oakland Mall and Meijer. For ad info. call 1-800-477-4574 •www.lpicommunities.com. 15-0727.
(20) Contact Terry Sweeney to place an ad today! email@example.com or (800) 477-4574 x6407. THIS SPACE IS. 4-D-5-5 . For ad info. call 1-800-477-4574 • www.lpicommunities.com 15-0727.
(21) . 4-D-5-5 . For ad info. call 1-800-477-4574 • www.lpicommunities.com 15-0727.
(22) . ,1&(17(5$576$1'*$0(6 $UHQ·W<RX&UDIW\. %XQFR. :HGQHVGD\6HSWHPEHU SP 5HV1RQ5HV 3DLGDW)URQW'HVN ´+HDWKHU·V3HUIHFW*DUGHQµ . Join us Fridays from 10:00 am - 12:00 pm. $1.00 per person. Prizes for six players. Three table minimum.. 'RPLQRHV . . Whether you have a black thumb like Heather or a green one like Kat, you will totally enjoy creating this beautiful worry free garden! No fuss, no muss, no watering and it will never die! Make sure to sign up soon as space for this class is limited.. )5(( . Join us Wednesdays at 12:30 pm in the dining room.. *DPH5RRP . %HJLQQHUV:DWHUFRORU&ODVV. . 0RQGD\6HSWHPEHU SPSP 5HV1RQ5HV 3DLGDW)URQW'HVN . Our game room offers a space for indoor activites such as pool, shuffle board, pinball, Yatzee, Uno, Scrabble, cards, puzzles and more.. 3RRO7DEOH8VDJH . Have you ever admired the delicate look of watercolor paintings and thought, “Oh I could never do that.” Well this is a class for you! You will be introduced to the techniques that will have you painting beautiful little artwork in no time. Supplies will be provided, so come join us for a relaxing, fun filled class that you will come to love! Watercolor101!. . 50 cents per day or Residents: $4 per month or $30 per year. Non-Residents: $5 per month or $40 per year Funds are used for upkeep of equipment.. .QLWWLQJ &URFKHWLQJ*URXS :HGQHVGD\VIURPDPSP. ,Q6HDUFKRI%ULGJH3OD\HUV. Join the Oakland County R.S.V.P group as they complete lap robes for Beaumont Hospital and local nursing homes and dress dolls for the Goodfellows. Enjoy encouragement and a social time while you work to finish \RXU ODWHVWSURMHFW. Do you love playing bridge or have always wanted to learn? We are looking at putting together a bridge club at the center. If you are interested please call the center. (248)-545-3464 . 1(:672.12: )5((&RPSXWHU$VVLVWDQFHE\$SSRLQWPHQW . :HGQHVGD\VIURPSPSP ,QVWUXFWRU0LNH6DOOH\. Training will be offered to get you started on using a computer. Learn how to type a letter, print, set up an email account, surf the Internet, read the newspaper online, use eBay, and other topics. Call 248-545-3464 to make an appointment. At this time there is no printer available *** Now WIFI Accessible***. $GYLVRU\%RDUG0HHWLQJ. 7XHVGD\6HSWHPEHU SP#WKH$FWLYH$GXOW&HQWHU . Did you know that our Advisory Board meets on the 3rd Tuesday of each month ? The meetings are open to the public. There is also a portion of the meeting that is Public Forum format should you have any questions or concerns regarding the Center or happenings in the city regarding Active Adults. Public participation is welcomed and encouraged. We hope to see you at our next meeting!. &HQWHU&ORVHG0RQGD\ 6HSWHPEHU The Center will be closed Monday, September 6, 2021 in observance of the Labor Day holiday.. 0HPRULDODQG+RQRU3URJUDP . Gifts to the Madison Heights Active Adult Center are fitting tributes to the memory of those no longer with us, or in honor of those we love and care about. Your gift as a general contribution, or in someone’s name, will enable the Active Adult Center to continue to protect the welfare, independence, and dignity of older adults in Madison Heights and the surrounding region. You can donate to support a specific program or project, or make an unspecified donation to support all services and programs offered at the Active Adult Center. Call the Center at 248-545-3464 if you would like to make a donation.. 3DJH0DGLVRQ+HLJKWV$FWLYH$GXOW&HQWHU
(24) &5($7,9(63,5,76 0(17$/:(//1(66 $VSHFLDOWKDQN\RXWRRXU0HGLWDWLRQLQVWUXFWRU$PDQGDIRUVKDULQJWKLVZLWKXV.
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
(28) )81$1'*$0(6 .HHS\RXUPLQGVKDUS. COUNT HOW MANY! . How many MUSHROOMS can you find in this newsletter? ??? ONLY the ones that look like this: Call us with your number!! A winner will be chosen from all correct answers and they will win a prize!. AUGUST WINNER:. FRUIT in the newsletter: 23 Winner: Dan Maltese. AUGUST’S ANSWERS.
(30) &5($7,9($576$1'&8/,1$5<$576 (;35(66,21$1'+($/,1*7+528*+$57$1')22'. &UHDWLYH)RRG. . $SSOH3LH%DUV . . ,QJUHGLHQWV )RUWKHFUXVW. Cooking spray 1 c. (2 sticks) butter, softened 1/2 c. granulated sugar 1/4 c. packed brown sugar 2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour 1/2 tsp. kosher salt. )RUWKHILOOLQJ. 6 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced Juice of 1/2 lemon 1/2 c.packed brown sugar 1 tsp.ground cinnamon 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract 1/2 tsp. kosher salt. )RUWKHWRSSLQJ. 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour 1 c. chopped pecans 1 c. packed brown sugar 1/2 tsp. kosher salt 3/4 c. (1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted Caramel, for serving. ,16758&7,216 1. Preheat oven to 350° and line a 9”-x-13” pan with parchment then grease with cooking spray. In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Add flour and salt and mix until just combined. 2. Press into prepared pan about 1/2” up sides. Bake until lightly golden, 20 minutes. 3. In a large bowl, toss apples, lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt together. Spread apples over crust. 4. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, pecans, brown sugar, and salt. Stir in melted butter until coarse clumps form. 5. Sprinkle crumb topping over apples and bake until top is golden and apples are soft, about 1 hour. Let cool at least 15 minutes then slice into squares and drizzle with caramel before serving.. &UHDWLYH$UW -HQ·V+RPHPDGH6XJDU+DQG6FUXE ,QJUHGLHQWV. 3/4 cup sugar 3/8 cup canola oil 15 drops scented essential oil (for Fall you could try cinnamon or apple!) . ,QVWUXFWLRQV. . 1. Put all ingredients in a metal mixing bowl. 2. Stir together ingredients using a large metal spoon. 3. Spoon the mixture into a jelly mason jar or another airtight container. *The scrub keeps fresh for at least two months. *I use around 1/2 tablespoon on both my hands rubbing them gently together for 20 seconds. Then I rinse with water and pat them dry.. 3DJH0DGLVRQ+HLJKWV$FWLYH$GXOW&HQWHU
(32) 6HUYLFHV 2XWVLGH5HVRXUFHV . . +HOSLVRXWWKHUHDQGZHFDQFRQQHFW\RXWRLW . &DOOWKH$FWLYH$GXOW&HQWHUDW
(33) LI\RXKDYHTXHVWLRQV ,IZHFDQ WKHOS\RXGLUHFWO\ZHZLOOWU\RXUEHVWWRUHIHU\RXWRVRPHRQHZKRFDQ . %HORZLVDOLVWRIUHVRXUFHVDYDLODEOHWR\RX 'R\RXQHHGIRRG" Oakland Meals on Wheels- Daily meal delivery and pantry food packs for a suggested donation. Call them at: (248) 6890001 (Please leave a message and someone will call you back within 24 hours.) Focus Hope– Provides free monthly food to senior citizens who are 60 years of age or older and reside in Wayne, Oakland, Macomb and Washtenaw counties. Items include: cereal, juice, cheese, milk, dry beans, peanut butter, spaghetti, fruits, vegetables and protein, with quantities distributed each month. Call the Center at (248) 545-3464 for more information! MH Emergency Pantry- Pick up and delivery of food donations. Fill out the form on Facebook Royal Oak Salvation Army- call (248) 585-5600 Gleaners Food Bank- call 1-866-453-2637 or go to www.gcfb.org United Way- call 211 'R\RXQHHGDPDVNJORYHVRUKDQGVDQLWL]HU" Try the Pharmacy Shop: (248) 591-5555 :RXOG\RXOLNHDZHHNO\UHDVVXUDQFHFDOO" If so, call the Center at (248) 545-3464 to let us know and we will add you to our call list! 'R\RXQHHGWUDQVSRUWDWLRQRXWVLGHZKDWZHRIIHU" SMART Connector Service- call 1-866-962-5515, press 1 for Connector and 1 again for Reservations. 'R\RXQHHGPHGLFDOHTXLSPHQWORDQV" Contact World Medical Relief at (313) 866-5333. 'R\RXQHHGDQRQOLQHVXSSRUWPHHWLQJ" Call Paul LeClair from St. Patrick’s Episcopal Church: (248) 842-6856 (Grief Support) Call Alliance for Healthy Communities at (248) 221-7101 or go to www.ahc-stl.org 'R\RXQHHGOHJDODVVLVWDQFH" Contact Lakeshore Legal Aid at 1-888-783-8190. They provide free legal assistance to seniors and low income clients. Besides typical issues, they are now fielding questions about stimulus money and working conditions.. 'R\RXKDYHTXHVWLRQVIRUDQXUVH" Call Oakland County’s nurse on-call line at 800-848-5533. 'R\RXKDYHQRQKHDOWKUHODWHGTXHVWLRQVDERXWWKH &29,'SDQGHPLF" Contact Oakland County's Help Hotline at (248) 858-1000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. :RXOG\RXOLNHIUHHXSGDWHVRQWKH&RURQDYLUXV" Oakgov.com/covid or text OAKGOV to 28748 'R\RXQHHGVKHOWHURUPHGLFDODVVLVWDQFH" United Way- call 211 $UH\RXLQQHHGRIKRPHDVVLVWDQFHRUUHSDLUV" The SHARP program has been suspended until further notice. If you need home repair assistance you may try the following service providers. . . Oakland County Home Improvement loans: (248) 858-5401 'R\RXQHHGKHOSRULQIRUPDWLRQSHUWDLQLQJWR 6RFLDO6HFXULW\" The Social Security Administration is still available to help by phone. A local representative is available to take your call Monday thru Friday from 9:00 am— 4:00 pm at: 1-888-456-9559 They may be able to schedule an appointment if they cannot help you by phone. Please do not come into one of their local offices. They cannot accept walk-ins at this time. You may also visit SSA.gov. Many of their services can be completed online. 3DUWQHUVKLSZLWK2/+6$ . . OLHSA is the largest private nonprofit agency delivering human services to Oakland and Livingston Counties. Below are the current programs that members can take advantage of during the pandemic. - Water Residential Assistance Program- Call (313) 386-9727 - Grandparents Raising Grandchildren- Call (248) 479-6516 - Emergency Utility Assistance- Call (248) 479-6516 - Weatherization- Call (248) 479-6516 - Burial benefits, hygiene kits, 1-time food box or rental/mortgage assistance needs due to COVD-19- Call (248) 209-2600.
(35) 2XWVLGH5HVRXUFHV Area Agency on Aging 1-B Established in 1974, the Area Agency on Aging 1-B (AAA 1-B) is a nonprofit 501(c) 3 organization with a rich history of supporting older adults, people with disabilities and family caregivers in southeast Michigan. They are part of a national network of Area Agencies on Aging and a leader in aging services in a six-county region that includes Livingston, Macomb, Monroe, Oakland, St. Clair and Washtenaw counties. AAA 1-B help people access the services and programs they need to remain living independently and with dignity in their own home or with family caregivers. They provide direct care programs for seniors, along with funding and support for many programs provided by our community partner organizations. Programs and services AAA 1-B can help people access include: x x x x x x x x x x x. Information and Assistance Telephone Line to help people find local resources Direct Home Care Services and care coordination to help when seniors are having trouble caring for themselves Adult Day Services Medicare Medicaid Assistance to help beneficiaries troubleshoot problems and understand their options Chore Services to help seniors maintain their homes Home Injury control programs to help make seniors’ homes safe Advocacy to help make sure seniors’ voices are heard Transportation Assistance Legal services Services and support for grandparents raising grandchildren Health and Wellness classes to help older adults stay healthy. Contact AAA 1-B for questions and information on their programs and services. Call 1-800-852-7795. )HUQ&DUH)UHH&OLQLF. The FernCare Free Clinic treats people who are between 19 and 64 years of age and who don’t have medical insurance or a primary care provider. They provide the following services: x Non-emergency healthcare x Checkups x Generic medications x Lab Testing Enrollment assistance with: x Prescription Assistance Program x Affordable Care Act Insurance Exchange Enrollment Assistance x Healthy Michigan Enrollment Assistance x 1:1 Smoking Cessation Counseling x Acupuncture x Nutrition Counseling x Lab Testing x Wellness/Life Coaching x Operates a Little Free Library in front of the clinic In addition to all of these services, FernCare also can provide many outside resource contacts for medical needs and more. FernCare Free Clinic, Inc. 459 E Nine Mile Rd. Ferndale, MI 48220 (248) 677-2273 www.ferncare.org. &RPPXQLW\+RXVLQJ1HWZRUN 6HUYLFLQJ2DNODQG&RXQW\. 0RQGD\WKUX)ULGD\DPSP
(36) . 6SHFLDOL]LQJLQ+RPHOHVVQHVV5HQWLQJ +RPHRZQHUVKLS,QGHSHQGHQW/LYLQJ6WD\LQJ+RXVHG GXHWRILQDQFLDOLVVXHV. +RXVLQJ5HVRXUFH&HQWHUIRU 2DNODQG&RXQW\. 0RQGD\WKUX)ULGD\DPSP
(37) Available to help any language or persons with hearing problems.. &RPPXQLW\+RXVLQJ1HWZRUNRUJ. Info on: Subsidized Housing, Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Housing. 0LFKLJDQ+RXVLQJ/RFDWRUFRP /RZ,QFRPH$SDUWPHQWV)RU5HQWLQIR These are search engines for housing options in Michigan /$.(6+25(/(*$/$,' . Lakeshore Legal Aid is a not-for-profit law firm providing a wide range of free civil legal services to low income people and seniors in our communities. Their services are available for any senior in Oakland County regardless of income. Call their Southfield office for a free phone consultation regarding your legal issue or to just ask a legal question. Lakeshore Legal Aid: . *RRG5[ . Find the lowest price on prescriptions right from your phone or iPad. GoodRx is 100% free. No personal information required. With their easy-to-use mobile apps feature you can have instant access to the lowest prices for prescription drugs at more than 75,000 pharmacies They offer coupons and savings tips that can cut your prescription costs by 50% or more. You can look up and research side effects, pharmacy hours and locations, pill images, and much more! You can also access GoodRx through their website at www.goodrx.com.. $OWHUQDWLYH7UDQVSRUWDWLRQ$YDLODEOH. The Center offers it’s own transportation for Madison Heights residents. If we are unable to accommodate your transportation needs, below are a few alternative places to inquire about transportation. SMART Bus: 1-866-962-5515 Boomerang Errand Services, LLC: (248) 275-8256 Independent Medical Transportation Services: (248) 545-3144 Beaumont Patient Information: 248-743-6667 *Most transportation companies require at least 24-48 hours notice. If you need immediate or within 24 hour transportation we suggest you contact UBER 808-189-7190 or LYFT 631-201-5938.. 3DJH0DGLVRQ+HLJKWV$FWLYH$GXOW&HQWHU
(39) ** CELEBRATIONS!! ** . September Birthdays. 01-Nancy Oparka 02-Jean Foster 03-Nannie Hopson 08-Gerald Agents 16-Margaret Mahoney 18-Dorothy Ofiara 19-Christine Collom 22-Al Kanalos 23-Delphine Raska 30-Sally Hobbs 30-Joan Stallsmith 30-Mike Kapolka September Anniversaries. 24-Gene & Dolores Gugan. 7+$1.<286 Thank you to - Shirley Novak for making and donating the beautiful blankets and pillows. Thank you also for taking care of our birthday and anniversary cards that we send out each month. You make them so special and personal. Thank you to - DJ Andy Mi and Joy for always generously donating their time to provide us with great music and entertainment for our events!! Thank you to the CEO group for watering our plants and gardens. Thank you to Oak Street Health for hosting a free Senior fair and for letting staff pass out info on the AAC. Thank you to Ray Chammas for generously providing a pizza lunch for the CEO staff and AAC staff. Thank you Ray for continuing the tradition that you and June Wilgus started. Thank you to Shirley Novak, Jean Nickrand, Virginia Sinco & Bill Gordon for their generous donations. Thank you to Pomeroy Sterling Rehab and Mission Point of Clawson for their generous donations.. 7UDLO3LFQLF,QGHSHQGHQFH&HOHEUDWLRQ %UDLQ*DPHV .
(41) $FWLYH$GXOW&HQWHU -RKQ55G 0DGLVRQ+HLJKWV0, . 3KRQH . For active adults in Madison Heights and the surrounding area age 50 & up!. 5(78516(59,&(5(48(67('. 0DGLVRQ+HLJKWV$FWLYH$GXOW&HQWHU. For active adults in Madison Heights and the surrounding area age 50 & up!. 2 0 2 1.