1 Dakchyata: TVET Practical Partnership
Consultancy title TVET PPP Technical Grant Experts (up to three positions available)
Activity area Grant support
Report to Team Leader
Location Kathmandu, with associated project travel in Nepal Inputs Max no. of days – 120 per consultant Inputs under a
framework contract over 10 months (with possibility of extension subject to contractual approvals)
Exact deliverables will be agreed on work plan forming an integral part of each corresponding Order Contract (Service Orders)
Dates March 2021 – December 2021 (with possible extension contingent on contractual requirements)
1. Background to project
The Dakchyata project is part of the TVET Practical Partnership programme, the flagship skills development programme of the European Union in Nepal. Dakchyata is being implemented by the British Council under the leadership of Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, Government of Nepal and Council for Technical Education and Vocational Training (CTEVT). The programme started in 2017, with an implementation period of 58 months.
The specific objective of the programme is to strengthen and implement more effective policy in the Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) sector, responsive to labour market needs. The programme is piloting an integrated Public Private Partnership approach in three key economic sectors i) agriculture ii) construction, and iii) tourism. The Dakchyata project delivers two components of the overarching TVET PP programme:
2 • Component 2 : an innovative grant fund mechanism has been designed to pilot Public Private Partnership projects in the construction, tourism and agriculture sectors. The aim is to generate learning on enhancing the relevance, quality and sustainability of TVET provision in Nepal
• Component 3 : technical assistance to the Government of Nepal and national TVET authority to strengthen governance, coordination and reform of the national TVET system, and raise the profile of TVET in Nepal
Component 1 is being addressed as part of the inter-linked ‘Sakchyamta’ project, delivered by the Council for Technical Education and Vocational Training (CTEVT) in Nepal.
2. Description of assignment
The British Council is looking to appoint up to three TVET technical experts to support the delivery of projects funded under the Practical Partnership grant fund under Component 2 of the Dakchyata TVET PP project.
The consultants, under the guidance of the project Team Leader and Deputy Team Leader, will lead on providing technical capacity building, advice, support and monitoring of TVET Practical Partnership projects funded under the Dakchyata grant scheme.
The specific objectives of these roles are to:
• support the delivery of the Practical Partnership grant fund under Component 2 of the
Dakchyata TVET PP project, through designing and delivering specific capacity
building activities for grantees to improve performance of grant implementation
• Conduct technical monitoring and verification of grant projects through a combination of report reviews, field visits and assessments, and physical verification of activities
2.2 Required services/activities The required services are as follows:
• Acquire in depth knowledge and understanding of individual pilot project models, ensuring implementation proceeds in accordance with agreed workplans,
• Support technical monitoring of grant implementation of Practical Partnership pilots,-
facilitating and capturing lessons of successful PPP approaches for scale up or policy
adoption. This will require solid knowledge and understanding of the Practical Partnership learning Framework, and involve working closely with Grants and learning teams. .
• Conduct grantee field visits in accordance with agreed visit plans, including overseeing delivery of training, skills periodic assessment and functioning of
3 partnership working between different actors. Remote monitoring will also be required to follow up on the findings and application of feedback provided to the pilot project teams.
• Conduct review of quarterly progress reports and provide written feedback to be communicated to grantees
• Support grantees in implementing provided feedback
• Conducting technical monitoring including capacity assessment of grantees and pilot teams and supporting development of capacity building workplans
• Provision of technical assistance to grantee organisations, e.g. on curriculum development, skills gap assessment (RPL), skills testing and certification, provide advice on strengthening coordination and partnership between public and private sector actors
• Design and lead workshops and other capacity building activities on key cross cutting issues identified in grantee project implementation, in accordance with grantee capacity building plans. Content to be designed in cooperation with TL/DTL
• Support linkages with other activity areas in components 1 and 3 of the Dakchyata project
2.3 Required outputs
Specific outputs will be agreed in the workplan of each individual consultant, mapped against the project workplan. Expected outputs include:
- Facilitation of grant orientation workshops, focusing on project development/demand analysis, partnership development approach etc
- Provide specific technical inputs to selected grantees to implement projects which meet the objectives of the grant scheme
- Completion of field monitoring reports including drafting specific recommendations for improvements
- Review notes and suggestion to the grantees after completing review of quarterly
- Technical papers (briefing notes, reports, manuals etc.) as requested by TL/DTL,
highlighting relevant aspects of TVET activities aimed at the focused sectors.
- Update and report to Dakchyata team on any relevant matters on a regular basis.
3. Location and duration
3.1 Input period
4 3.2 Location(s) of assignment
The consultant will work in the project office in Kathmandu, with associated country travel as per project requirements.
4. Administrative information
The consultants will be required to provide their own office equipment i.e. laptops, mobile phone etc
Payment will be made in arrears on acceptance of deliverables and receipt of corresponding invoice and timesheets. An indicative payment schedule will be agreed and form part of the contract.
4.3 Fee rate and expenses
The daily fee rate will be considered an all-inclusive fee, including all applicable Government taxes such as VAT, and cover all preparation, report writing, and all other work required for completion of the services.
4.4 Working days
For the purposes of this assignment “Working Hours” and “Working Days” shall mean an 8 hour day, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time Monday to Friday. Work on weekend days may be required from time to time and must be agreed in advance.
5. Qualifications and experience required Qualification and skills (incl. language)
- Excellent spoken and written English and Nepali - University degree in relevant field
General professional experience
- Worked in technical and vocational education and training sector in Nepal - Experience in engaging with private sector employers
- Knowledge and understanding of existing public TVET system in Nepal, including training needs assessment, curriculum development, and different approaches to training delivery
Specific professional experience
- Experience in conducting demand/needs and skills gap analyses within one or more of the project focal sectors (agriculture, tourism and construction) is desirable
5 - Experience in developing donor funded project proposals in TVET would be an
- Experience in capacity building of stakeholders in TVET issues
- Experience in monitoring and/or reporting on grant funded project implementation would be an advantage
3. Consultant specification
Mandatory criteria Weighting
Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Economics, Business
Administration, TVET or Engineering or other relevant subject. Y/N Fluent spoken and written English and Nepali and evidence of good
writing and communication skills, in a cross-cultural environment Y/N Significant work experience (5 year+) in working with TVET training
providers (CTEVT and or/ private training providers) with hands on experience in curriculum development, project management, skills gap assessment, skills testing and certification and experience in
strengthening coordination and partnership between public and private sector actors.
Experience (5 year +) in engaging with private sector employers and/or TVET training providers and others to find ways to define/transfer knowledge and skills, e.g. through planning and holding of workshops, giving orientations and finding other ways to ensure institutional capacity development and skills transfer, particularly within coordination and management of systems and organisations working closely with TVET development. Desirable would be an expertise in working with
businesses and employers within the agriculture, construction, and/or tourism sectors.
Relevant experience in monitoring delivery of TVET projects, ensuring that activities are carried out as agreed per work-plan and on track to achieve expected results, that deadlines are observed and that outputs are as per agreed standards in terms of quality and quantity.
Daily fee rate
6 Final scores in terms of a percentage of the overall submission score will be obtained by applying the relevant weighting factors set out as part of the award criteria table above. The percentage scores for each award criteria will be amalgamated to give a percentage score out of 100.
Following scoring the submissions, the top three scoring applicants will:
i) be invited to attend an interview to further clarify their submissions, experience and skills.
ii) Following the interviews, evaluation scores will be adjusted based on the performance of each consultant at interview.
The winning submission shall be the response scoring the highest percentage score out of 100 when applying the above evaluation methodology.
4. How to apply
Interested individuals meeting the requirements are requested to submit the following:
1) Latest CV ( EU CV Template Annex 3) 2) Daily Fee Rate ( Annex 4 Pricing approach)
3) Cover Letter highlighting past experience in similar capacity and proposed approach to deliver this assignment including your motivation for the role.
Submissions should be sent to email@example.com with the title TVET PPP Technical Grant Experts – Dakchyata: TVET Practical Partnership Nepal’ by 6 PM local time on Sunday 21 February 2021
Please note, we can only respond to successful applicants.
The British Council are committed to safeguarding children, young people and adults who we work with.
We believe that all children and adults everywhere in the world deserve to live in safe environments and have the right to be protected from all forms of abuse, maltreatment and exploitation as set out in article 19, UNCRC (United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child) 1989.
Appointment to positions where there is direct involvement with vulnerable groups will be dependent on thorough checks being completed; these will include qualification checks, reference checks, identity & criminal record checks in line with legal requirements and with the British Council’s Safeguarding policies for Adults and Children.