• Business Administration • Culture
• Social and Health Care
• Technology and Transport • Social and Health Care • Business (Logistics)
• A multidisciplinary institute of higher education that produces high-quality professional expertise in close co-operation with the world of work and other organisations of education, training and research. • Owned by South-Eastern Finland’s University of Applied Sciences Ltd. • Turnover €
• Permanent staff
• Students number app.
7of which are master level programmes FINLAND ESTONIA RUSSIA SWEDEN NORWAY DENMARK St Petersburg Stockholm Oslo Kouvola Helsinki Kotka
Kymenlaakso University of Applied Sciences focuses on education and RDI activities that improve the area’s economic structure.
• Sustainable energy solutions • Competitive logistics and sea transport and their safety • Well-being and business services
SPEARHEADS AND PROFILE
• ICT and cybersecurity
• simulation knowledge and gamification
• service design
Kyamk’s profile is based on expertise in interna-tional affairs and Russia, working in co-operation with the field of higher education and the busi-ness world (LCCE®).
• Kyamk aims to generate multi- disciplinary, strategy based research projects, which are closely connected to teaching. RDI focuses strongly on special fields chosen by Kyamk.
• Measured by the total budget of all projects, the value of the project portfolio is about EUR 12 million, of which the annual turnover is EUR 4,5 million. Kyamk’s 60 projects are implemented by 200 employees (approx. 65 person-years).
• Funding comes from various sources, such as ministries, companies, municipalities and Tekes (Finnish Funding Agency for Technology and Innovation). • In Kyamk, all fields of study implement multidisciplinary RDI projects. Paid services and learning laboratories are also part of RDI activities.
4,5million THE ANNUAL TURNOVER EUR
12million THE TOTAL BUDGET of all projects (the value of the project portfolio)
North European Logistic Institute)
Neli increases the competitiveness of the logistics industry by enhanc-ing new innovations and value-added solutions.
Our team consists of specialists in the following sectors:
• Development of logistics business concepts and processes
• Identification of new business opportunities
• Operational networking of logistics hubs and clusters
• Development of resource efficient and safe port operations and intermodal transport systems • Development of green and efficient transport corridors • Marketing of logistics services • Project management services
1) Green and efficient transport corridors
- ELLO developing the competiti- veness of South Finnish logistics corridor
- Ecologically Friendly Port - EU-Finland-Russia Intermodal Railway Corridor
- Trik – Kunda-Kotka-Kronstadt triangle traffic prestudy
2) Operational networking of logistics hubs
- SULOIN – Sustainable logistics solutions through international networking
- Hyötyvirta and Tehola logistics hubs in Kouvola
- Hamina Ecoport
- Development of logistics business concepts and processes
- RENEWTECH – The Southeast Finland Wind Power Technology Cluster
(Kyamk is a partner in
Kotka Maritime Research Centre)
Our team is specialized in the following sectors: • Safety management
• Identifying hazards and risks, human errors, risk and error management, incident reporting • Security threats and risks
• Identifying threats and risks, analysis methods, governmental co-operation
• Oil combating in shoreline and its logistics • Oil combating methods in shoreline, waste logistics
• Search and rescue
• Training of volunteer rescuers, development of search and rescue systems and services, co-operation with the authorities • Winter navigation
• Training of navigators (IceTrain -course), training material Winter navigation • Cleantechnology for vessels
• Ship emissions measuring, Cleantech Energy efficiency of the vessels
– 23.4.2011–24.3.2014, budget 1.6 M€, EU ENPI CBC programme
– project improves cooperation between Finland and Russia in sea rescue services. – Several partners from Finland and St Petersburg
– 1.5.2011–31.12.2013, budget 2.1 M€, EU Programme Central Baltic
– The aim was to minimize risks related to the sea transport of oil by developing comprehen- sive safety strategies.
– Several university partners around the Baltic Sea
• SÖKÖ (Oil Spill Response)
– 1.1.2004–31.12.2014, budget 1.0 M€, The European Regional Development Fund (ERDF)
– The aim has been to develop a regional oil spill response system for emergency services, create a model for the coordination of a large oil spill cleaning activities for the authorities.
– The partners in Finland include several authorities
– Fields of interest / expertise
• The emission laboratory has made exhaust gas emission measure- ments for power plants, process industry and shipping companies since 1992.
(Several projects have been carried out mostly with funding from national sources.)
• Heat/cold distribution calculations, measurements, simulations • Energy efficiency, energy audits, sustainable development (persons qualified to act as the manager in energy audit projects related to heating systems in Finland, also certificated to write EPC for buildings)
• CO2 balance, cleantech,
waste management solutions • Power plant simulator development and training
• Renewable energy sources: biomass, biogas, wind, solar
• BSR-Innoship (1.10.2010–10.9.2013, EU Baltic Sea Region Programme)
– Development of new and innovative solutions for the environmental management of the Baltic Sea region
• Biotuli (Bioflame) (1.9.2010–31.8.2013, The European Regional Development Fund (ERDF)
– Development of new business concepts and innovation for promotion of use of biomaterials and bioenergy
• Renewtech (1.6.2011–31.3.2014, The European Regional Development Fund (ERDF)
– Development of international excellence for wind energy industry
• BLESK (22.3.2011−22.3.2014, Finnish Russian ENPI -programme)
– Promotion of wind energy and landfill waste in energy production
• Step to Ecosupport (1.1.2013−31.12.2014, Finnish Russian ENPI programme)
– Promotion of energy saving in South-East Finland and the St Petersburg region
• Midnight Sun Finland
– Kyamk’s team (teachers and students) has built solar boats and took part in the World Championships in the Netherlands in 2012 and 2014. They came third in both competitions.
AND POLICYSpecialized in the following sectors:
• User perspectives to service provision, design and marketable solutions
• Children and youth:
public services and the third sector • Gerontology
• Acute care
• Living Lab • Gamification
Specialized in the following sectors:
• Social science and policy • Employment and wellbeing at work
• Services for immigrants and minority groups
• Quantitative and qualitative methodology
• Policy-relevant research
related to Health and
Social care and to
Social science and policy
• Moving towards wellbeing: (1.4.2012–30.9.2014 Finnish- Russian ENPI programme) – The project enhanced and strengthened health and social care enterprise co-operation between Kymenlaakso, Lahti, Vyborg and St Petersburg regions. The project created cross-border business opportunities in the welfare sector and provided the conditions for joint innovation and testing.
• Empowerment of families with children (29.4.2011–28.4.2014, Finnish-Russian ENPI programme) – The project developed
multicul-tural competence of health and social care professionals from South-East Finland and social workers from the Leningrad region and promoted their mutual exchange of informa-tion. In addition, the project in-creased the mobility of workers between Finland and Russia in the border district.
AND SERVICE DESIGN
AND SERVICE DESIGN
• Based on user-centered processes and analysis of customer behaviour • Interdisciplined processes:
– Business – Design
– Social and Health care
• User data gathering and analysis based on the data
• User-driven processes, end users participate in the development • Service blueprint, Service journey, Frontstage, Service touchpoints
• Study curriculums
– Co-teaching (business and design) – Bachelor’s and Master’s levels
• Living Lab cases:
– Neloskierre (national, 14 UAS): What is living lab in UAS?
– Kasarminmäki Living Lab: How to use Living Lab methods at Kymenlaakso UAS?
• Vetovoimainen Kymenlaakso project: How to develop attractiveness of the Kymenlaakso region based on user experience in many levels.
• Many projects are under development related to service management and service design.
We have expertise for
• Evaluation of entrepreneurial potential on an individual level – Entrepreneurial passion, authentic entrepreneurship • Developing innovation and entrepreneurial competences in context
– Entrepreneurship coaching – Facilitation of student-based startups (in co-operation with Aalto University and student-led Entrepreneurship Societies) – LCCE Entrepreneurship curriculum in the Learning and Competence Creating Ecosystem LCCE® model
• Emerging themes: entrepreneurial leadership and international entrepreneurship
• Faculty members’ entrepreneurial behaviours and methods
• The entrepreneurial university and innovation ecosystems
– In partnership with the international FORFI academic entrepreneurship project (funded by Norwegian Research Council)
– Tromssa and Stavanger (Norway), New York University and UT Austin (USA), Kingston (UK), Chalmers and Lund (Sweden), Aalto and Kyamk (Finland)
• Boosting young start-up entrepreneurs
– The project aims to develop start-up entrepre-neurs’ skills. The target group consists of young people aged 20 to 30, who have not yet regis-tered a business.
• New vigour for unemployed
– The goal is to instruct unemployed participants in entrepreneurship and develop new opportu-nities for employment by using entrepreneurial solutions and increasing the awareness of busi-ness opportunities.
Our ICT research is focused on two main areas:
• Game industry research covers fields such as – gamification, serious games and simulations – educational games MOOC
– eHealth: games, apps and technology to improve well-being
– the next generation of multi-modal user interfaces
• Cyber security research covers fields such as – penetration testing
– intrusion testing – data center security – maritime security
– communications network infrastructure security
– gamifying the cyber security learning platforms
• Game Cluster (1.4.2012–30.6.2014, The European Regional Development Fund, ERDF) – The aim of the project is the generation of a game industry business-driven cluster and establishment of high-quality education in Southern Finland.
• Game-innovations (1.10.2013–31.12.2014 The European Social Fund) – The aim of the project is to create new innovative serious gaming applications especially for security and well-being sectors.
• The diverse RDI expertise covers the following:
– Structural engineering of modern wooden buildings – Restorative environment design of interiors
– Generative design using algorithms and CNC-machining – Conservation of wooden furniture and building parts – Product development by design – Etc.
• Restorative environments - Well-being and the business of wood
(1.6.2013–31.12.2014) The European Social Fund (ESF) – product companies’ restorative knolwedge and skills and to encourage and help them to develop business plans and innovations and to grow. The project col-lected information and best practices and combined them to produce innovations together with existing companies and start-up enterprises.
• Wood Academy (1.5.2011–30.6.2014) The European Social Fund (ESF) – The objective of the project was to establish the Wood Academy Centre of Expertise, which researches, develops, and promotes networking and arranges training for the wood products industry in South-East Finland. The idea was also to offer an open innovation platform for new products and services and explore innovation and commercialization conditions with innovative entrepreneurs in order to reduce unem- ployment resulting from structural change in South- East Finland.
Project name Funding Program Period Project Code
Researchers’ Night FP7 Marie Curie 2011 265514 Researchers’ Night FP7 Marie Curie 2012
Co Create Comenius 2010-13 511733-LLP-1-
Moving Towards Wellbeing ENPI 2012-14 SE 490
Blesk ENPI 2011-14 SE 178
Rescop ENPI 2011-14 SE 248
Empowerment of Families
with Children ENPI 2011-14 SE 141 Step to Ecosupport ENPI 2013-14 SE670 Ecologically friendly port ENPI 2012-14 SE747 MIMIC Central Baltic 2011-13 CB38 Snoopy Central Baltic 2009-12 SFE16 Efficient, Safe and
Sustainable Traffic at Sea Baltic Sea Region 2009-12 contract 013 Baltic Sea cooperation for reducing ship and port
emissions through knowledge and innovation-based economy Baltic Sea Region 2010-13
Director of RDI, Markku Huhtinen tel. +358 (0)44 702 8323 Well-being and business services: Chief Research Officer,
Valdemar Kallunki tel. +358 (0)44 702 8761 Competitive logistics and sea transport:
Chief Research Officer, Mervi Nurminen tel. +358 (0)44 7028474 Sustainable energy solutions: Chief Research Officer, Juhani Talvela tel. +358 (0)44 702 8227 e-mail: email@example.com
SUMMARY OF RECENT
KYMENLAAKSON AMMATTIKORKEAKOULU KYMENLAAKSO UNIVERSITY OF APPLIED SCIENCES P.O.Box 9
FI-48401 Kotka, FINLAND Tel +358 44 702 8888 fax +358 5 230 2430 firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com www.kyamk.fi