POSITION OPENING – DIRECTOR OF NURSING
Full Time/Benefit Position
Opening in Lakeside, Arizona at Community Counseling Centers Inc. CCC at
PineView Hospital which is a 16 bed psychiatric hospital. This positionis
responsible for management of CCC at PineView’s Hospital nursing department and for direction and supervision of all nursing functions and activities. The Director of Nursing is also responsible for quality of customer care and monitors that sufficient and
competent personnel carry out the functions of nursing services. Administrative
responsibilities include planning and managing nursing services, evaluation of staff and resource allocations.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
♦ Must be a Registered Nurse who has a Master’s degree in Psychiatric or Mental Health nursing or its equivalent from a school of nursing accredited by the national League for Nursing, or be qualified by education and experience in the care of the mentally ill.
♦ Current Arizona RN license.
♦ Four (4) years of recent clinical experience including one (1) year of administration.
♦ Five (5) years experience in Psychiatric nursing.
♦ Experience with SMI and Substance Abuse populations. ♦ Current Arizona Driver’s License.
♦ CPR Certification.
♦ Comply with a Drug Free workplace. ♦ Job Restriction Clearance.
♦ TB Clearance.
♦ Fingerprint Clearance.
TITLE: DIRECTOR OF NURSING STATUS: EXEMPT
SMI Substance Abuse DD
LINES OF AUTHORITY: This position is supervised by the Hospital Administrator. Supervises directly, all RN Charge Nurses and indirectly supervises Paraprofessional Psychiatric Aides.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Director of Nursing is responsible for management of CCC at PineView’s Hospital nursing department and for direction and supervision of all nursing functions and activities. The Director of Nursing is also responsible for quality of customer care and monitors that sufficient and competent personnel carry out the functions of nursing services. Administrative responsibilities include planning and managing nursing services, evaluation of staff and resource allocations.
E 1. Adhere to personnel policies and comply with agency requirements for ethical
and professional behavior.
E 2. Assessment:
● Collects and analyzes data to determine staffing patterns and overall
nursing staffing plans. Participates in hiring of personnel to maintain a nursing unit that is adequately staffed.
● Reviews work schedules, assignments and customer classifications.
• Recommends changes in personnel and assignments accordingly.
● Attends morning rounds.
● Investigates complaints and takes appropriate action.
● Together with the infection control nurse, the DON assesses the nursing
care environment and equipment to sustain high standards of cleanliness, safety and infection control.
Conducts nursing assessments as needed and demonstrates skill in order to supervise staff.
Develops nursing care plans as needed and demonstrates skill in order to supervise staff.
Evaluates nursing care and trains staff in these procedures.
JOB DESCRIPTION DIRECTOR OF NURSING Page 2
E 3. Planning:
● Serves as a manager participant in PBHC policy development.
● Organizes, plans and directs nursing functions and activities together
● Establishes the philosophy goals, objectives, standards, policies and
procedures for the nursing department.
● Coordinates nursing salary with CCC Administration
● Coordinates with Human Resources to develop job descriptions as
● Develops and maintains an effective customer classification system. ● Develops a fair and objective system for evaluation of work performance. ● Promotes growth and development of personnel through in-service
● Serves on committees including, but not limited to, Medical Staff
Meetings, Infection/Safety, and nursing staff meetings.
E 4. Implementation:
● Meets regularly with Clinical Director to discuss department objectives,
staffing needs, and PBHC policies.
● Maintains compliance with standards, policy and procedures and
regulatory agency requirements.
● Interprets policies and procedures to personnel and monitors for proper
● Interviews and makes recommendation to the Clinical Director in regards
to employee status.
● Keeps informed and up to date in all aspects of nursing care.
E 5. Evaluation:
● Evaluates and analyzes incident reports and takes appropriate action. ● Continually monitors and evaluates the care given, results from review of
charts, care plans and other sources.
● Oversees continual corrective and follow up action where
• Monitors and evaluates performance of registry personnel.
● Evaluates the effectiveness of problem-solving techniques.
● Constantly evaluates attitudes, morale, interpersonal relationships and
promotes ways to improve in these areas.
● Evaluates and oversees that nursing process is carried out in a
continuous manner with all customers.
● Determines staffing patterns; assists in the determination of the
● Oversees the contribution of nursing services in quality management and
quality improvement activities.
E 6. Promotes teamwork with medical officers, other departments, and the
E 7. Acts as a role model for staff and contributes to orientation, continuing
staff development and training.
E 8. Must participate in quality management and quality improvement activities. E 9. Promotes quality and safety to help maintain a safe and pleasant work
environment, follows safety regulations, and actively contributes towards a safe workplace.
E 10. This position requires positive and active support of the company, the
customer and the co-worker.
11. Perform other duties as assigned by the Clinical Director or his/her designee. PRIMARY CONTACTS:
• Ongoing interaction with all nursing and medical personnel.
• Constant interaction with Community Counseling Centers, Inc. personnel and customers.
• Frequent interaction with referral sources and family members. • Occasional contact with outside provider service agencies.
Qualifications And Experience Required:
• Must be a Registered Nurse who has a Master’s degree in Psychiatric or Mental Health nursing or its equivalent from a school of nursing accredited by the national League for Nursing, or be qualified by education and
experience in the care of the mentally ill. ● Current Arizona RN license.
● Four (4) years of recent clinical experience including one (1) year of administration.
● Five (5) years experience in Psychiatric nursing.
● Experience with SMI and Substance Abuse populations. ● Current Arizona Driver’s License.
● CPR Certification.
JOB DESCRIPTION DIRECTOR OF NURSING Page 4
• TB Clearance.
● Fingerprint Clearance.
For Those Working With SMI:
1. Knowledge of symptoms related to qualifying diagnosis.
2. Ability to identify and communicate signs of regression and deterioration. 3. Knowledge of interventions to foster self care and ADL skill development.
For Those Working With Substance Abuse:
1. Able to identify signs and symptoms of Substance Abuse and Chemical Dependency.
2. Knowledge of range of treatment for dependence including relapse, prevention, strategies and self help groups.
3. Able to provide a diagnostic impression per DSM IV criteria for Substance Abuse and Chemical Dependency.
4. Knowledge of history of substance dependence and of the biopsyschosocial influences and effects of dependencies.
For Those Working with DD:
1. Knowledge of symptoms related to qualifying diagnosis.
2. Ability to identify and communicate signs of regression and deterioration. 3. Knowledge of Article 9 (customer rights) of State requirements.
4. Knowledge of Customer Intervention Techniques relative to self care and ADL skills development.
• Master’s degree in Nursing
• Able to work within a multi disciplinary structure. • Strong verbal and written communications skills.
• Extensive knowledge of the special needs of the SMI population. • Strong organizational and time management skills.
● Fluent in English both verbally and in writing. ● Literate.
● Able to work in crisis oriented work environment and to effectively employ analytical and problem solving skills.
● Ability to interpret and comply with policies and regulations, and other applicable state and federal requirements.
● Ability to effectively supervise personnel.
● Ability to work cordially with personnel, customers, community agency personnel and the public.
● Ability to complete required reports and/or paper work. ● Ability to type accurately with minimal errors.
● Ability to operate computer. Preferred:
● Previous unit management/coordination experience. WORKING CONDITIONS:
Able to sit and stand for extended periods of time, less frequently, walking, lifting and reaching.
Able to hear ordinary conversation and phone communications.
Visual capacity necessary to fulfill documentation and responsibilities of job. Ability to occasionally assist in behavior management techniques, to physically restrain, seclude, and apply mechanical restraints to aggressive customers.
Manual dexterity to keep documentation records. Negative TB skin test.
Able to operate general office equipment. Able to operate Company vehicles.
Ability to use medical/nursing equipment necessary to health assessment and therapeutic intervention typical of a behavioral health setting.
Air conditioned and/or heated unit setting.
Occasional incidents of physical aggression from customer towards personnel, peers and property.
JOB DESCRIPTION DIRECTOR OF NURSING Page 6
Under federal confidentiality laws, personnel of Community Counseling Centers, Inc. may not disclose information about customers or personnel to anyone outside the Company without the person’s prior written consent and may not disclose this information to others within the company except on a need to know basis. This
includes any identifying information concerning current, past or prospective customers or personnel.
_____________________________________ ____________________ Director of Nursing Date