Your guide to Travel Insurance,
Policy Summary and other
In the following section ‘we/us/our’ refers to Barclays Bank PLC and Barclays Insurance Services Company Limited. Barclays Bank PLC arranges Travel Insurance through Barclays Insurance Services Company Limited, which is a wholly owned subsidiary company of Barclays Bank PLC. The policy will be arranged and administered on our behalf by Cigna Insurance Services (Europe) Limited.
Barclays Bank PLC and Barclays Insurance Services Company Limited are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority(FCA). The FCA is the independent watchdog that regulates financial services. The registered address of both Barclays Bank PLC and Barclays Insurance Services Company Limited is 1 Churchill Place, London E14 5HP.
The Financial Services Register number for Barclays Bank PLC is 122702 and for Barclays Insurance Services Company Limited is 312078.
Cigna Insurance Services (Europe) Limited is authorised and regulated by Financial Conduct Authority. The registered address is Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey SM1 1JB. The Financial Services Register number is 310671.
Financial Services Register
You can check this information on the Financial Services Register by visiting the website www.fca.org.uk/register/ or by phoning 0800 111 6768 or 0300 500 8082.
Advice or information
We can only provide you with information and you will not receive advice or a recommendation from us in connection with your travel insurance requirements. We may ask some questions to narrow down the level and extent of cover that you require. You will then need to make your own choice about how to proceed.
Whose products do we offer?
We only offer Barclays Travel Insurance from Cigna Europe Insurance Company S.A.-N.V.
We hope that you are happy with the service we provide. However, if you are unhappy with it, we would like to hear from you. You can contact us, by writing to the Customer Relations Manager, Barclays Travel Insurance, 1 Drake Circus, Plymouth, PL1 1QH or telephone us on 0330 100 7701* If we cannot resolve your complaint, you may be entitled to refer your complaint to Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).
Further information about FOS can be obtained from their website www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk or write to Financial Ombudsman Service, Exchange Tower, Harbour Exchange Square, London E14 9SR.
Following the complaints procedure does not affect your right to take legal action. Details of our complaints procedures can be obtained by calling 0330 100 7701*.
Financial Services Compensation Scheme
We are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). You may be entitled to compensation from the FSCS if we cannot meet our obligations, depending on the type of business and the circumstances of the claim. Insurance advising and arranging is covered for 90% of the claim, without any upper limit. For compulsory classes of insurance, insurance advising and arranging is covered for 100% of the claim, without any limit. Please refer to your Policy Summary to find out whether the insurer is also covered by the FSCS. Further information about compensation scheme arrangements is available from the FSCS website www.fscs.org.uk or write to Financial Services Compensation Scheme, 10th Floor, Beaufort House, 15 St Botolph Street, London EC3A 7QU.
Change of underwriter
From time to time for commercial reasons Barclays
Insurance Services Company Limited may decide to change its chosen insurer. In such circumstances we will write to you not less than 21 days before your current insurance expires with details of the new proposed insurer and any other current changes to the insurance.
Accordingly, in order to ensure continuity of your insurance you hereby authorise us to transfer your data to any new proposed insurer and consent to receiving its offer of insurance for consideration. Your cancellation rights are not affected.
It is your responsibility to provide complete and accurate information when you take out your insurance policy, throughout the life of your policy, and when you renew your insurance. It is important that you ensure that all statements you make on proposal forms, claims forms and other documents are full and accurate.
Please note that if you fail to disclose any information to your insurers, this could invalidate your insurance cover and could mean that part or all of a claim may not be paid. *For our joint protection and training purposes, telephone calls may be recorded and/or monitored.
We and other members of the Barclays Group will collect, use, share and store your information for research and analysis, and to develop and improve our services to you and other customers, and to protect our interests. We will also use your information to manage your policy(ies), provide our services, to prevent and detect fraud, money laundering and other crime, and to meet our obligations to any regulatory authorities.
By “your information” we mean personal (including information you provide us which may include sensitive personal data such as health and details) and financial information we obtain from you or from third parties, such as, joint account holders, credit reference agencies (who may use the Electoral Register or other public or private databases to check your information), fraud prevention agencies or other organisations when you apply for an account or any other product or service or which you or they give to us at any other time.
If you provide personal and financial information relating to others (e.g. dependants or joint account holders) for the purpose of opening or administering your account(s), you confirm that you have their consent or are entitled to provide this information to us and for us to use it as set out in this Guide to Insurance.
We and other members of the Barclays Group will use your information to inform you by letter, telephone, text (or similar messages), digital television, e-mail and other electronic methods, about products and services (including those of others) which may be of interest to you. You may tell us if you do not wish to receive marketing communications from us and other members of the Barclays Group by writing to us or by visiting your local branch and providing your full name, address and account details and the types of communication that you no longer wish to receive (e.g. mail, telephone or email).
We may give information about you and how you use your products and services to the following:
• Fraud-prevention agencies and other organisations who may record, use and give out information to other insurers
• People who provide a service to us or are acting as our agents, on the understanding that they will keep the information confidential
• Anyone to whom we transfer or may transfer our rights and duties under this agreement
• We may also give out information about you if we have a duty to do so or if the law allows us to do so.
We will also share your information with insurers, and their agents, to obtain quotations on an ongoing basis and in the normal course of servicing and administering your insurance.
Otherwise we will keep information about you confidential. If we transfer your information to a service provider or agent in another country, we will ensure that the same levels of protection are applied as we are required to apply to information held in the UK, and that they use your information only for the purpose of providing the service to us.
Who is the insurer?
Barclays Insurance Services Company Limited arranges Travel Insurance through Cigna Insurance Services (Europe) Limited. Barclays Travel Insurance is underwritten by Cigna Europe Insurance Company S.A.-N.V.
What is Barclays Travel Insurance cover?
Barclays Travel Insurance policy protects you during the period of insurance for holidays taken in the geographic area shown on your policy schedule.
There are three different policy types and within these some of the covers are optional. The policy type and any options you have selected will be itemised on your policy schedule.
This is a summary of the policy cover for Barclays Travel Insurance and it does not include
the full terms and conditions, which can be found in the policy document. It is important
that you read your policy booklet carefully when you receive it.
What are the significant features and benefits of Barclays Travel Insurance? Table 1. - Policy Cover
Benefits Significant or Unusual Exclusions or Limitations
that apply to individual benefits Travel Plus Travel Travel Essentials Limit Excess* Limit Excess* Limit Excess* Medical Emergency and
Covers eligible costs if during the trip you suffer bodily injury, illness or die.
• You must advise us of any claim over £500 where possible in advance.
• Any cost where you do not comply with the treatment agreed by the treating doctor and the Medical Assistance Helpline including treatment that can wait until you return to the UK. • Any costs which are covered under a reciprocal
health agreement between the government of the UK and that of your country of loss including costs covered by the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).
£10,000,000 £50 £5,000,000 £100 £1,000,000 £150
Cancellation/Cutting Short Your Trip
Covers non-recoverable travel and accommodation costs should you have to cancel or curtail your trip as a result of any eligible reason stated in the policy booklet.
• Any circumstances known prior to booking the trip that could reasonably be expected to give rise to a claim.
• Any claim as a result of your failure to have the required passport or visa.
£5,000 £50 £2,500 £100 £500 £150
Delayed departure for at least 12 hours from the scheduled departure time. £30 (Travel Plus)/ £20 (Travel)/ £15 (Travel Essentials) for the first complete 12 hour delay and £20 (Travel Plus)/ £10 (Travel and Travel Essentials) for each subsequent 12 hours.
Cover for additional travel and accommodation expenses due to the failure of public transport or an accident or breakdown of the vehicle you are travelling in or strike.
• Strike, industrial action or air traffic control delay publicly declared.
• Any claim as a result of heavy traffic, road closures or an accident that you are not directly involved in.
• Any claim as a result of your failure to allow sufficient time for the public transport to arrive on schedule and deliver you to your departure point. £250 £1,000 Nil Nil £200 £500 Nil Nil £120 £50
Loss of Important Documents
Reasonable additional costs to replace your lost passport abroad and a replacement in the UK.
• You must report all losses to the police and consular representative within 24 hours and obtain a written report.
£600 £50 n/a n/a n/a n/a
Benefits Significant or Unusual Exclusions or Limitations that apply to individual
Travel Plus Travel Travel Essentials Limit Excess* Limit Excess* Limit Excess* Mugging Benefit
If you are hospitalised following a mugging we will pay £50 per day.
• You must obtain a police report of
the mugging. £1,000 Nil £1,000 Nil n/a n/a
If you are confined following a hijack we will pay £50 per day.
£1,000 Nil £1,000 Nil n/a n/a
Personal Baggage (Optional)
If your personal baggage is lost, stolen or damaged we will cover the cost of replacement (less wear, tear and depreciation).
• You must report all losses to the police within 24 hours of discovery or as soon as reasonably possible after that and obtain a written report. • Single Article Limit
£300 Travel Plus £250 Travel £150 Travel Essentials. • Valuables
£500 Travel Plus
£250 Travel and Travel Essentials.
£1,500 £50 £1,250 £100 £500 £150
Cover for the cost of essential items if your carrier has misplaced or delayed your baggage for more than 12 hours during the outward journey.
• You must obtain a report from the carrier confirming the delay of your baggage.
£200 Nil £100 Nil £100 Nil
Personal Money (Optional)
Accidental loss or theft of personal money.
• You must report all losses to the police within 24 hours of discovery or as soon as reasonably possible after that and obtain a written report. • Reduced benefit of £50 cash for
persons under the age of 16.
£500 £50 £400 £100 £250 £150
Cover for loss of life, limb or sight that occurs during your trip.
• Reduced benefit for persons aged under 16 or 65 and over. • Death Benefit
£10,000 Travel Plus £5,000 Travel.
£25,000 Nil £15,000 Nil n/a n/a
Personal liability for any compensation you become legally liable to pay.
• Pursuit of any trade, business or profession, or the ownership, possession or use of any vehicles, aircraft or watercraft.
£2,000,000 £50 £2,000,000 £100 £1,000,000 £150
Legal Advice and Expenses
Legal advice and expenses to pursue compensation as a result of death, illness or injury against a third party as a result of an accident.
• If you do not accept a reasonable offer to settle a claim we may refuse to pay further costs or expenses. • Any claim not reported to us more
than 180 days after you should have known about an insured incident.
£25,000 Nil £250 (for Legal Expenses) £15,000 Nil £250 (for Legal Expenses) £10,000 Nil £250 (for Legal Expenses)
Independent Traveller Cover
Additional protection if your travel plans are disrupted due to cancellation or delay of your booked trip.
Cancellation/Cutting Short Your Trip
Cover extended to include cancellation due to the insolvency of your airline or accommodation provider, airspace or your airport being closed for 24 hours.
We will pay for reasonable alternative accommodation costs if your accommodation is affected by an outbreak of food poisoning, insolvency or fire.
• Costs for which you expect to recover from elsewhere.
• Accommodations costs where the transport operator has offered reasonable alternative arrangements.
£5,000 £5,000 £50 £50 £2,500 £2,500 £100 £100 n/a n/a
Benefits Significant or Unusual Exclusions or Limitations that apply to individual benefits
Travel Plus Travel Travel Essentials Limit Excess* Limit Excess* Limit Excess* Independent Traveller Cover
Continued Replacement Flight
We will pay for the cost of a replacement flight if your scheduled airline becomes insolvent.
If you are unable to return home due to airspace, airport or the Channel Tunnel being closed we will pay £100 for each 24 hour period you are unable to return home up to a maximum of £1,500 or up to £1,000 for additional travel expenses to get you home after a period of 24 hours or more where your travel provider has not made suitable alternative arrangements.
• Scheduled flights not booked through a bonded travel agent or direct with a scheduled airline.
• Costs recoverable from elsewhere.
• The refunded amount of any unused travel costs recoverable from your travel provider.
£1,500 £1,500 Nil Nil £1,500 £1,500 Nil Nil
Winter Sports (Optional) Ski Equipment
Loss or damage to your own or hired ski equipment.
Unused pre-paid ski pack costs following accidental injury or illness and you do not curtail your trip.
Up to £30 per day for additional transport costs if you have to travel to another resort in the event of total closure of your resort due to excess or lack of snow or bad weather at your pre-booked resort.
• £20 per day up to £300 maximum to hire replacement ski equipment.
• Up to £200 per week to a maximum of £400.
• You must obtain written confirmation from the tour operator (or their representative) of the number of days skiing facilities were closed in your resort and the reason for the closure.
£500 £400 £300 £50 Nil Nil £500 £400 £300 £100 Nil
Golf Cover (Optional) Golf Equipment
Loss or damage to your golf equipment.
Golf Equipment Hire
Up to £50 per day for the cost of hiring replacement golf equipment if your golf clubs are delayed by your carrier for more than 2 hours.
Refund up to £40 per day for the cost of non-refundable pre-booked green fees if the course is unplayable due to adverse weather.
• Single Article Limit £300. • You must report all losses to
the police within 24 hours of discovery or as soon as reasonably possible after that and obtain a written report.
£1,000 £400 £200 £50 £50 Nil £1,000 £400 £200 £100 £100 Nil n/a n/a
Wedding Cover (Optional) Wedding Rings
If your wedding ring is lost, damaged or stolen we will cover the cost of replacement (less wear, tear and depreciation).
If your wedding gifts are lost, damaged or stolen we will cover the cost of replacement (less wear, tear and depreciation).
• You must report all losses to the police within 24 hours of discovery or as soon as reasonably possible after that and obtain a written report.
£600 £1,000 £50 £50 £600 £1,000 £100 £100 n/a n/a
Benefits Significant or Unusual Exclusions or Limitations that apply to individual benefits
Travel Plus Travel Travel Essentials Limit Excess* Limit Excess* Limit Excess* Wedding Cover (Optional)
Continued Wedding Attire
If your wedding attire is lost, damaged or stolen we will cover the cost of replacement (less wear, tear and depreciation) or hire of replacement.
Photographs and Video
The cost of retaking wedding photographs if they are lost, damaged or stolen during your trip.
£1,000 £750 £50 £50 £1,000 £750 £100 £100
Business Cover (Optional if Annual Multi-Trip cover selected) Business Equipment
Cost of replacing or repairing, any business equipment that is lost, damaged or stolen during the trip (less wear, tear and depreciation) and up to £150 for courier expenses to replace lost equipment or samples.
Business Equipment Delay
If your business equipment or samples are delayed for more than 12 hours on your outward journey.
Business Equipment Hire
Cost of hiring replacement business equipment if your business equipment or samples are delayed or lost on your outward journey.
Accidental loss, theft or damage to your business money.
Reasonable additional accommodation and travelling costs for a colleague to take your place in the event of your death, total disablement or hospitalisation.
• Business equipment or samples left unattended at any time unless in a hotel safe, safety deposit box or in your locked accommodation. • Limited to £500 for business
• You must obtain confirmation of the length of delay from your carrier.
• You must obtain confirmation of the length of delay from your carrier.
• You must report all losses to the police within 24 hours of discovery or as soon as reasonably possible after that and obtain a written report. • Money left unattended at any
time unless in a hotel safe, safety deposit box or in your locked accommodation. • Claims where you or your
business connections were aware of circumstances which could reasonably have been expected to give rise to the cancellation of the trip.
£1,000 £500 £500 £1,000 £1,000 £50 Nil £50 £50 £50 £1,000 £500 £500 £1,000 £1,000 £100 Nil £100 £100 £ 100 n/a n/a
* unless otherwise agreed
All Travel Insurance sections
What are the significant exclusions and limitations that apply to all benefits?
1. Cover is excluded for any medical condition or symptom that has not been declared to and accepted by us and which existed prior to the commencement of this policy and any associated trip covered by it. After you have paid for this policy, you must tell us if your health changes. We will then decide if we can provide you with cover on your existing terms. We may ask you to pay an extra premium, add special conditions to the policy or exclude cover for that medical condition. For full details refer to the “Changes in health” section in the policy wording.
2. If, at the time of taking out your policy or booking a trip, whichever was the later, your relative, close business colleague, the person with whom you had arranged to
travel or a friend or relative who lives abroad with whom you had arranged to stay had a medical condition for which he or she:
• was receiving treatment at hospital (other than where they go to hospital for check-ups for a stable condition, at regular intervals which have been arranged beforehand) • was waiting for a hospital consultation, investigations or
treatment (other than where they go to hospital for check-ups for a stable condition, at regular intervals which have been arranged beforehand)
• had been given a terminal prognosis, or been told that their condition is likely to get worse in the next 12 months. We will not pay for any claim you (or any Insured Person)
make, that has anything to do with the medical condition of that relative, colleague or travel companion.
3. This policy is only available to persons resident in the United Kingdom.
4. Annual Multi-Trip cover is available up to the age of 74. Winter Sports cover is only available to persons aged 65 and under. Children are only covered when travelling with a parent insured under this policy.
5. Single Trip cover is available up to the age of 79. Winter Sports cover is only available to persons aged 65 and under. Children are only covered when travelling with a parent insured under this policy.
6. Cover is excluded for certain Leisure and Sports Activities. This means any pursuit or activity where it is recognised that there is an increased risk of injury or accident. A list of the activities covered by the policy can be found under the Leisure and Sports Activities section of the policy booklet. 7. Your wilfully, self-inflicted injury or illness, suicide or
attempted suicide, solvent abuse, alcohol abuse including alcohol withdrawal, the use of drugs (other than drugs taken in accordance with treatment prescribed and directed by a Medical Practitioner, but not for the treatment of drug addiction), self-exposure to needless peril (except in an attempt to save human life).
8. You drinking too much alcohol, where it is reasonably foreseeable that such consumption could result in a serious impairment of your faculties and/or judgement resulting in a claim.
9. Claims arising from psychiatric disorders, depression, anxiety, stress or phobias.
How long does my Barclays Annual Multi-Trip
Travel Insurance run for?
1. The policy will remain in force for 12 months from the date of commencement and for any period that you renew your policy as long as you have paid your premium 2. We will write to you prior to the expiry date to remind
you of the details of your policy and the premium for the following period.
3. The maximum duration of any one trip on an Annual Multi-Trip policy will be 31 days. Trip extensions of 45 or 60 days are available (maximum age limit is 65). The trip limit if you have chosen Travel Essentials cover is 21 days. Winter
Sports trips are limited to 24 days per insurance period. 4. UK trips are covered provided that the accommodation is
pre-booked for 2 nights or more.
How long does my Barclays Single Trip Travel
Insurance run for?
The maximum duration for any one trip on a Single Trip policy will be as stated on your policy schedule.
What happens if I take out cover and then
change my mind?
If this insurance is not suitable, please telephone or write to us within 14 days of receipt of your policy documents. We will cancel the policy and refund your premium in full provided that you have not already taken your trip or made a claim. We cannot refund your premium after this date.
How do I make a claim?
If you wish to notify us of a claim, please contact us; …in writing Write to Barclays Bank Travel Insurance Claims Department, PO Box 500, 1 Drake Circus, Plymouth PL1 1QH …by phone Telephone 0330 102 6416
How do I make a complaint about this
The policy is administered on behalf of Cigna Europe Insurance Company S.A.-N.V. by Cigna Insurance Services (Europe) Limited, who is responsible for handling complaints regarding this insurance product. We aim to give customers a high standard of service at all times. If you are unhappy with the service provided for any reason or have cause for complaint, please contact:
Post: Customer Relations Department Barclays Travel Insurance
1 Drake Circus, Plymouth PL1 1QH.
Telephone: 0330 100 7701 . For your protection calls may be recorded and may be monitored.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org If we cannot resolve your complaint to your satisfaction, you may be entitled to refer it to the Financial Ombudsman Service.
Is Cigna Europe Insurance Company S.A.-N.V.
covered by the Financial Services Compensation
Cigna Europe Insurance Company S.A.-N.V. is covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. This provides compensation in case any of its members go out of business or into liquidation and are unable to meet any valid claims under its policies. Further information can be obtained from the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (www.fscs.org. uk) or by contacting the FSCS at 10th Floor, Beaufort House, 15 St Botolph Street, London EC3A 7QU or by calling 0800 678 1100 or 020 7741 4100.
0800 400 100* (via Text Relay if appropriate) or by ordering
online from barclays.co.uk/accessibleservices/
*Call monitoring and charges information
Calls may be recorded for security and training purposes. Calls to 03 telephone numbers cost no more than calls to geographic numbers (01 or 02) from both landlines and mobiles & calls to 0800 telephone numbers, from landlines and mobiles, are free.
Barclays Insurance Services Company Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Register no 312078). Registered in England. Registered No: 973765. Registered Office: 1 Churchill Place, London E14 5HP.
Cigna Insurance Services (Europe) Limited is registered in England & Wales No.4617110. Registered Office: Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey. SM1 1JB. Cigna Insurance Services (Europe) Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority Financial Services register no 310671
Cigna Europe Insurance Company S.A.-N.V., UK Branch, Chancery House, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey, SM1 1JB. Registered in Belgium with limited liability (Brussels trade register no. 0474624562), Avenue de Cortenbergh 52, 1000 Brussels, Belgium. Subject to the prudential supervision of the National Bank of Belgium, Boulevard de Berlaimont 14, 1000 Brussels (Belgium) and to the supervision of the Financial Services and Markets Authority (FSMA), rue du Congrès 12-14, 1000 Brussels (Belgium), in the field of consumer protection and subject to limited regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority. Details of the extent of our regulation by the Financial Conduct Authority are available on request.