Print Audit 6 - SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
This is a step-by-step guide to install SQL Server 2005 Express Edition to use as a database for Print Audit 6.
There are a few pre-requisites for installing SQL Server 2005 Express Edition. You can view more information and the system requirements for SQL Server 2005 Express Edition at the following location:
Please note that the MS .Net Framework 2.0 must be installed prior to installing SQL Server 2005 Express Edition. The link to download this program is available from Microsoft in the System Requirements documentation above.
We also recommend ensuring that all Windows Updates have been performed prior to installing SQL Server 2005 Express Edition.
Step by Step Instructions
1. Download SQL Server 2005 Express Edition from Microsoft:
a. Go to Microsoft’s website (www.microsoft.com).
b. Enter ‘SQL Server 2005 Express Edition download’ in the Search field and click the Search button.
c. You will see a screen of results that match the search. Select a result that includes the download and proceed to download the file ‘SQLEXPR.EXE’.
2. Double-click the SQLEXPR.exe file to install it:
a. Use the default settings for the first few screens until you get to the Authentication Mode screen.
Note: You can change the location that you are installing SQL Server 2005 Express to on the Feature Selection screen below by clicking the Browse button in the lower part of the screen.
b. When you get to the Authentication Mode screen, use “Mixed Mode”
Authentication, as shown below:
Note: The ‘sa’ password must pass Microsoft’s complexity requirements and cannot contain illegal characters (use letters and numbers, ie. Password1234).
3. Click “Next” and continue the installation using default selections.
4. Click Install.
5. Once the SQLExpress installation is complete, open the SQL Server Configuration Manager:
(Start -> Programs -> Microsoft SQL Server 2005 -> Configuration Tools -> SQL Server Configuration Manager).
6. Your default server name (under SQL Server 2005 Services) is SQLExpress and it should be running as shown below. If it is stopped, right click on it and click Start.
7. Click on the plus sign beside SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration and click on Protocols for SQLEXPRESS.
a. Double-click on Named Pipes and Enable it. Click OK.
b. Double-click on TCP/IP and Enable it.
c. Go to the IP Addresses tab on the TCP/IP Properties window and ensure that the network adapter that you wish to use is Active and Enabled. Click OK.
d. You should be left with something like the screen below:
8. Restart the SQL Server as outlined below:
a. Click on SQL Server 2005 Services.
b. Right-click on SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS).
c. Click on Restart.
d. Close the Configuration Manager.
9. Install Print Audit 6 by double-clicking the Print Audit 6 setup file. Select Print Audit 6 Setup.
10. Click Next.
11. Accept the license agreement and click Next.
12. On the Setup Type Window, choose “Step by Step Walkthrough” and click Next.
13. Select SQL Server for the Database type and click Next.
14. Select “Yes – Create a new database.” and click Next.
15. You will receive the following warning, click “OK” to continue.
16. Click Next again.
17. Select “Yes – Install the Database Communicator” and click Next.
18. Make note of the Location as shown below and click Next:
19. If you are not installing our Copy Audit hardware device, do not install the Copy Audit Communicator and click Next.
20. If you do not want to track the printing on this computer, you can uncheck Client. Click Next.
21. Click Install.
22. Once the install is complete, you will be prompted to restart the computer. Press OK to restart or Cancel to restart the computer later.
23. When Windows restarts, Print Audit will generate a few messages. You may see the message shown below or it may be behind the Database Maintenance Wizard. Leave this window and move to the Database Maintenance Wizard screen. (If you did not restart the computer, you can complete the next step by going to the Start Menu, Programs, Print Audit 6, Advanced Tools and then select Database Maintenance).
24. The Print Audit 6 Database Maintenance Wizard will appear, populate the fields as shown below (you will have to update the Server field from (Local) to the correct server name) and then click Next. In this case, VM-2005-XPH is the computer name and SQLEXPRESS is the instance name as shown in the Location field in Step 18 and the Password is the same as was entered in Step 2, part ii.
25. You will be prompted for a database name; the default name is PRINTAUDIT. Click Next.
26. Enter a password for the PrintAudit user and click Next. You should see the screen below (make note of the information):
27. Click Create and you will receive a message that you have successfully created the database. Click Done.
28. When this screen disappears, you will see the Print Audit window from Step 24 that notifies you that the database settings are invalid. Click OK and you will see the following window.
29. If you do not have this window, you can open the Print Audit Communicator Configuration by going to the Start Menu, Programs, Print Audit 6 and then select Communicator
Configuration. You will get the Print Audit Microsoft SQL Server Login window or you can choose Set Database from the Tools menu. Populate the fields with the information from creating the database in Step 28 above.
30. Click on Login and the Database Communicator should start and you should see the Database Communicator icon in the system tray:
31. You are now ready to configure Print Audit 6 and install the clients.
Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express
Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express (SSMSE) provides a graphical management tool for SQL Server 2005 Express Edition. Installing this application is not required, but may be beneficial to maintain SQL Server 2005 Express. For more information or to download this application, go Microsoft’s website (www.microsoft.com) and perform a search for ‘SQL Server Management Studio Express’. The download file is ‘SQLServer2005_SSMSEE.MSI’.