Template for curriculum scope and sequence documentation
Subject: Spanish Language B Grade level:
11 SL/HL Page 1 of 1
What do we want students to learn? How best will students learn? How will we know what students have
Notes for teachers
Topic/ Unit Title and length of unit Specific Skills to be developed
Learning Outcomes Sample activities Sample assessment
tasks Formative and summative Link to Learner Profile/ school philosophy Links ToK/ international Mindedness and other
curriculua Resources 1Social relationship Language and Cultural identity. Cultural introduction (Vocabulary) Spanish Speaking countries. Study geographic and cultural aspects (2 week) Variations in the Spanish language in different Spanish speaking countries (1 week) Receptive skills: Understand straightforward recorded or spoken information on the topics studied. Understand authentic written texts related to the topics studied and that use mostly everyday language. Productive skills: Communicate orally in order to explain a point of view on a designated topic. Describe with some detail and accuracy experiences, events and concepts. Produce texts where the use of register, style, rhetorical devices and structural elements are
generally appropriate to the audience and purpose.
The Present, perfect and the preterite tense.
-Highlighting important details
Introduction to paper 2
- Writing formal letters - Creating a brochure - Gathering research - Completing a written assignment Preparing a presentation Hwk: prepare a presentation on a Spanish speaking country.
To do a Presentation in front to the class about the Spanish speaking country that they research.
- Present plan, receive questions and feedback (Interactive) Formative: - Create a brochure (Productive)
- Prepare and give a presentation
- How does language affect lifestyle?
- How is language learned and where do accents come from?
Animo 1 pages 1 to 11
Web page : Todo sobre España http://www.red20 00.com/spain/1in dex.html Al Tanto page 113. Indígenas en peligro Animo 1 pages 6 to 17
Curso ele ( Text book)
El espanol en America. Pages 16-17
1Social relationship Subtopic Relationship The Life, The People. Introducing your self. Relationship with your family and friends. (1 week) La identidad familiar: Relaciones y responsabili Demonstrate interaction that usually flows coherently, but with occasional
limitations. Engage in conversations on the topics studied, as well as related ideas. Demonstrate some Intercultural
engagement with the target language and culture(s).
Adjectives + adverbs different betwen « ser and estar ».
Comparative + superlative
Informal letter :« El uso del pronombre tú, vosotros y el formato de la carta informal » Direct/indirect object pronouns condicional Tense. Adapting information from texts. Present tense. Film review : El Estudiante.
Writing. Make a poster using family pictures and describe their family.
Speaking. Explain your dream house and family why.
Debate pro o contra : Los padres siempre tienen la razón // Los padres no saben nada // Los hijos son inmaduros y necesitan mucha direccion por parte de los padres
Discussion about why teenagers think their friends can understand them more than their parents.
Discussion about gay marriages and reflection on their own upbringing.
¿Por qué es tan difícil tener una relación gay en los países de habla Española?
The teen pregnancy
- Oral presentation of their topic. (Productive)
- Through their research write a report about their topic (Receptive/productive)
Discussion about why
teenagers think their friends can understand them more than their parents.
Debate pro or against: Parents are always right. (Productive) Formative:
- Choosing pictures, captioning and preparing discussion questions according to the topic. (Productive) Vocabulary. http://conjuguemo s.com Animo 1 pages 108 to 120 P1 HL November 2004 Text C Vocabulary. ¡Al Tanto¡ P. 24-25 ¿Quién manda en casa ? Análisis de información (
dades. ( 1 week Discovering your personality. ( 1week) Interpersona l relationships . ( 1week) Young people + and their values. - Common parent teenager disputes - generation gap. - Family - Mariage and divorce
Debate. El embarazo en la juventud. Tomar de base la pellícula y
desarrrollar un debate. ¿Qué harías tú ?
Noticias y artículos de periódicos): La violencia intrafamiliar. El incremento del divorcio. BBC in Spanish. Al Tanto page 210 ( La sociedad Española contemporanea) Spanish B Course companion, Oxford La identidad familiar relaciones y responsabilidades. Page 7 Jovenes y valores. Page 31
Ele ( Text book) Amigos y el amor. Page 18-21 Un encuentro casual. Pages 41-45 Caracter y sentimientos. Pages 54-59 Descubre Espana y Latinoamerica. Pages 26 – 33. La interculturalidad. Pages 130-136 Film : El Estudiante.
2- Topic: Global Issues (Core) Subtopic: Racism, prejudice & discriminatio n Groups and discriminatio n in society: identity, similarities and differences, inclusion and exclusion. The role of women in Spain and Latin America through history. Biographies of famous women in the history of Spain and Latin America. - Grammar components as needed -Summarizing
-Highlighting important details - Creating posters - Debating - Gathering research
Completing a written assignment
- Preparing a presentation
Describing pictures related to the topic
- View images
portraying stereotype, prejudice, assumption & discrimination. In groups write which one is an image of each definition and why. Define each and formulate the difference between them. Discuss findings with class.
- Discussion: what these issues are based on (culture, religion, political views, language)?
Create a collage and present it. - View video showing conflict related to these issues. Discuss if students have ever been in a similar situation and how they dealt with it.
Create a presentation of how these issues contribute to conflict.
- Read articles/case studies of how to deal with these issues. Write a poster about how to prevent conflict. Include examples of ineffective ways of dealing with conflict.
Analysis of prejudice and racism in our society today (gender, sports, movies, music)
- Write a report of definitions gathered from the group activity viewing the images. (Productive) - Create a presentation of how issues contribute to conflict (Receptive/productive) - Discussions Formative:
- Read articles and create a poster of preventive measures (Receptive/Productive) - Create a collage and present it (Interactive)
Write a report of these issues in our society today (WA practice) (Receptive and productive)
Debate: Women cannot earn the same as a men because they cannot separate their family from her job.
- How do you think people learn stereotypes or prejudices? Do they have to do at all with the language people speak?
- What does the media tell us about discrimination, stereotype and prejudice in our society? Spanish B Course companion, Oxford Grupos de discriminacion en la sociedad. Page 39 -Spanish B, IB skills & practice, Oxford -Magazines (Tecla) -Radio Radio Naciones Unidas : http://www.unmu l timedia.org/radio/ spanish/ BBC: http://www.bbc.c o.uk/mundo/ Online news. El país.com 3- Cultural diversity Los estereotipos culturales. La inmigracion.
Grammar components as needed
-Summarizing & Highlighting important details
- Analyzing a variety of literature (e.g. short stories, poems, plays,
excerpts from novels, newspapers, or magazines)
- Introductory brainstorm activity to answer questions such as: What do you
understand by “culture”?, and society?, Are there culture that are denominated “primitive”? Do you now of one? When we say that our society is
“classist”, what do we mean?,
Summative: Complete a practice Written Assessment and an Official Written Assessment. (Receptive/Productive) Open minded Risk takers
What exactly constitutes a minority? Is it culture, background, skin color, or a language?
Why do minorities have issued in almost every country they belong to?
Minorias etnicas – fundamentales para la construccion de un nuevo pais http://www.lajorn adamichoacan.co m.mx/2013/02/02
Develop strategies to read.
authentic literary texts using context clues, previous knowledge and rereading
- Interpret main ideas and relevant details from authentic literary texts
- Respond to comprehension and analytical questions based on readings
- Share personal reactions to and feelings about authentic readings
- Build vocabulary and knowledge through authentic readings
- Write coherently in formal and informal Spanish: Introduction, body, and conclusion. Literary devices. Precise word choice.
Transitional words or phrases
What are social classes and how many are there? Are ethnic minorities a social class?
- Interview peers to come up with preliminary ideas and corroborate the brainstorm session.
- Work with images to analyse minority situations and come up with answers to questions.
- Write different texts based on given prompts.
- Read and work through different reading
Read articles, stories, blogs, and texts of all types to related to a certain topic. Highlight information from each text to use as a base to write a piece of their own.
- Understand the nature of a “Rationale” and how to write one. (Productive)
- Learn the format of different text types that can be used to complete the WA (article, blog, diary, interview, speech, etc) (Productive)
- Write an opinion text and an informative text. (Receptive/Productive) etnicasfundament ales- para- laconstruccion- deun-nuevo-paisdel-val/ -Spanish B Course companion, Oxford La inmigración. Page 71 Los estereotipos culturales. Page 77 Significado de internacionalismo . Page 95 Lengua y cultura. Page 63 Mañana (Text book) Los jóvenes en el mundo. Page 117 Valorar las propias raíces. Page 145