Growing Green Economies
On First Nations through
In this presentation:
1. Who is Aki Energy
2. Geothermal Projects
3. PAYS Financing
4. Renewable Energy in Off-Grid Communities
Aki Energy is a non-profit social enterprise that works with First Nations to lower utility bills and grow the green economy.
Aki Energy: What we do
1. Technical Feasibility: Will geothermal save you money? How much?
2. Financing Negotiation - Manitoba Hydro’s PAYS program: Long term, low interest financing means that investing in geothermal costs little to nothing up front.
3. Installation Training and Certification:
Offer hands-on/in-class training and
certification for local tradespeople and Band owned construction companies.
4. Business Development: Aki Energy works with First Nations to create local jobs and business opportunities through renewable energy.
5. Project Management: If requested, Aki Energy can provide construction
management and project oversight.
Aki Energy works with First Nations to lower energy costs and create employment and business opportunities through renewable energy.
Since 2013, Aki Energy has worked with First Nations to:
1. Install over 250 geothermal systems to date
2. 2015 MOU between Manitoba Hydro, Fisher River Cree Nation and Peguis First Nation – 8 million in geothermal energy in the next 5 years
3. Trained over 45 First Nations geothermal installers
4. Manitoba Hydro has confirmed 60%
reduction in heating load associated with geothermal installation.
5. Ongoing partnerships with Sagkeeng First Nation, Long Plains First Nation,
Fisher River Cree Nation and Peguis First Nation.
6. Fisher River Cree Nation and Peguis First Nation are now two of the largest
geothermal installers in western Canada
Aki Energy works with Manitoba Hydro’s to offer PAYS
Financing. PAYS financing covers 100% of the upfront cost of geothermal. This cost is repaid over time, through small
Geothermal Training and
Aki Energy will work with local tradespeople and construction companies to ensure that investments in geothermal energy create local employment.
• Aki Energy offers two geothermal training courses, designed to prepare local trades people to install and maintain geothermal energy systems.
• Successful completion of both training courses will result in internationally recognized certification with the International Ground Source Heat Pump Association, and eligibility for membership in the Manitoba Geothermal Energy Alliance.
• Successful completion of the course results in eligibility to install all geothermal units associated with the project, as well as
eligibility to bid on external contracts.
Customer service / 24 hour Trouble calls Service à la clientèle / Dépannage 24 h sur 24
Outside Winnipeg /
Extérieur de Winnipeg 1-888-MBHYDRO(1-888-624-9376)
Deaf access line
Ligne pour malentendants 204-360-6154 E- Mail address
Sign up for MyBill and receive your bill and account information online.
Inscrivez-vous à MyBill et recevez en ligne votre facture et des données sur votre compte.
SCORE with Power Smart by using less energy and saving money.
Vous GAGNEZ en étant Éconergique. Consommez moins d'énergie et économisez de l'argent.
Account number/Nº de compte 1234567 8910111 Amount due/Montant à payer
$ 126.43 Due date /Date d'échéance
Jan 26 JAN 2016
CH CA DR
---Mail Payment to / Envoyez le paiement par la poste à
PO BOX 7900 STN MAIN WINNIPEG MB R3C 5R1
If mailing, please specify amount paid on return portion of bill and enclose with payment. Si vous payez par la poste, veuillez inclure le talon de la facture sur lequel le montant payé est indiqué.
John A. Doe 1st Street XYZ City R0Z 1J0 00000000 0806843966737212 000000000000 0000012643 0000000000 4 Payment enclosed/ Paiement ci-joint $ Customer name Nom du client Account number Nº de compte John A. Doe 1234567 8910111 Treaty number No d’inscr. (traité)00010 Service location Adresse de service Date issued Date d'émission 1st Street XYZ city Jan 08 JAN 2016 Amount due Montant à payer $ 126.43 Due date
Date d'échéance Jan 26 JAN 2016
Cycle number Nº de cycle 03
Account summary / Sommaire du compte
Previous charges and credits / Frais et crédits antérieurs
Previous balance / Solde antérieur $ 276.45
Balance forward / Solde reporté $ 276.45
$ 209.34 104.50
New charges / Nouveaux frais
Electricity / Électricité
Loans/Term Billing / Prêts/Facturation à terme
Other charges / Autres frais 463.86 CR
Amount due / Montant à payer $ 126.43 Due date / Date d'échéance Jan 26 JAN 2016
Geothermal Installation Training
- 2 weeks in class – Laufer Enterprises - 6 months ’on the job’ training in the
Geothermal Maintenance Certification
• 1 week hands on, in-class – Laufer Enterprise
• 1 week exam preparation and test.
• meet the space and water heating needs of the buildings • use fuel(s) that will not contaminate the environment,
including the soil
• consider impact on existing diesel-generated electricity system
• be very reliable and durable
• be seen as appropriate to community members for heating • can be operated and maintained in this community
• economically viable when avoided diesel cleanup costs are considered
• have local job creation potential
Petit Casmir Memorial
Feasibility: biomass district heating system (1.2 MW boiler) to meet the primary heating needs of the school. This system would include rooftop PV solar (50kw array) to meet
600 tonnes of wood chips will be
needed annually to generate the 1.75
GWh of heat energy output required to
replace the heat generated by the diesel
• Within 15km of community • 10% harvesting = 200 years
The Aboriginal Head Start
The current nursing station
The nursing residence
Darcy Wood, Executive Director
Shaun Loney, Chief of Operations
Kate Taylor, Director of Projects firstname.lastname@example.org