Whether you see a tax professional or prepare your taxes on your own, we re here to help you determine what documents you need to file your taxes.

Full text


What you need to file your taxes varies depending on your situation. For example, if you’re a self-employed college student, you may need 1099 and 1098-T forms to file your taxes. However, if you weren’t in college and only received a W-2, you could skip those tax documents.

Whether you see a tax professional or prepare your taxes on your own, we’re here to help you determine what documents you need to file your taxes.

Use the checklist below to find the tax documents and forms you'll need to get started.


Tax Identification Numbers are mandatory items on your checklist. All taxpayers will need the following to do their taxes. Your social security number or tax ID number

Your spouse’s full name, social security number or tax ID number, and date of birth

Information about your stimulus payment — also known as an economic impact payment (EIP) — if applicable — you may have IRS Notice 1444 or other records showing your EIP amount

Identity Protection PIN, if one has been issued to you, your spouse, or your dependent by the IRS

Routing and account numbers to receive your refund by direct deposit or pay your balance due if you choose


Parents and caregivers should gather this information as they review what they need to file their taxes. Dates of birth and social security numbers or tax ID numbers

Childcare records (including the provider's tax ID number) if applicable Income of dependents and of other adults in your home

Telephone: (407) 344-1012 1016 E. Osceola Pkwy Kissimmee, FL 34744 www.freedomtaxaccounting.com


Form 8332 showing that the child’s custodial parent is releasing their right to claim a child to you, the noncustodial parent (if applicable)


Many of these forms won’t be needed to file taxes every year. For example, you will only receive the investment forms you may need to file your taxes if you had distributions or other activity.


Forms W-2


Unemployment (1099-G)


Forms 1099, Schedules K-1, income records to verify amounts not reported on 1099-MISC or new 1099-NEC Records of all expenses — check registers or credit card statements, and receipts

Business-use asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation Office in home information, if applicable

Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040–ES)

Rental Income

Records of income and expenses

Rental asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040–ES)


Retirement Income

Pension/IRA/annuity income (1099-R)

Traditional IRA basis (i.e., amounts you contributed to the IRA that were already taxed) Social security/RRB income (SSA-1099, RRB-1099)

Savings & Investments or Dividends

Interest, dividend income (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV) Income from sales of stock or other property (1099-B, 1099-S)

Dates of acquisition and records of your cost or other basis in property you sold (if basis is not reported on 1099-B) Health Savings Account and long-term care reimbursements (1099-SA or 1099-LTC)

Expenses related to your investments

Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040–ES) Transactions involving cryptocurrency (Virtual currency)

Other Income & Losses

Gambling income (W-2G or records showing income, as well as expense records) Jury duty records

Hobby income and expenses Prizes and awards

Trust income

Royalty Income 1099–MISC

Record of alimony paid/received with ex-spouse’s name and SSN Any other 1099s received


State tax refund


The types of deductions you can take depend a lot on your life situation. It’s likely you won’t need all of the documents listed below for your taxes.

Home Ownership

Forms 1098 or other mortgage interest statements Real estate and personal property tax records

Receipts for energy-saving home improvements (e.g., solar panels, solar water heater) All other 1098 series forms

Charitable Donations

Cash amounts donated to houses of worship, schools, other charitable organizations Records of non-cash charitable donations

Amounts of miles driven for charitable or medical purposes

Medical Expenses

Amounts paid for healthcare, insurance, and to doctors, dentists, and hospitals

Health Insurance

Form 1095-A if you enrolled in an insurance plan through the Marketplace (Exchange)


Fees paid to a licensed day care center or family day care for care of an infant or preschooler Amounts paid to a baby-sitter or provider care of your child under age 13 while you work Expenses paid through a dependent care flexible spending account at work

Educational Expenses

Forms 1098-T from educational institutions

Receipts that itemize qualified educational expenses Records of any scholarships or fellowships you received Form 1098-E if you paid student loan interest

K-12 Educator Expenses

Receipts for classroom expenses (for educators in grades K-12)

State & Local Taxes

Amount of state and local income or sales tax paid (other than wage withholding)

Invoice showing amount of vehicle sales tax paid and / or personal property tax on vehicles

Retirement & Other Savings

Form 5498-SA showing HSA contributions Form 5498 showing IRA contributions

All other 5498 series forms (5498-QA, 5498-ESA)

Federally Declared Disaster


Records to support property losses (appraisal, clean-up costs, etc.) Records of rebuilding/repair costs

Insurance reimbursements/claims to be paid FEMA assistance information



Related subjects :