Health Innovation Network Communications Manager JOB DESCRIPTION
Post Title: Communications Manager
Grade: Band 7
Term: 1 year fixed term contract in the first instance
Organisation: South London Health Innovation Network (the Academic Health Science Network)
Department: South London Health Innovation Network (SL HIN)
Main base: Guy’s Hospital – may be required to work at any other SL HIN sites
Hours: 37.5 hours per week (core hours Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm with the ability to support events outside these times)
Reports to: SL Health Innovation Network Commercial Director / Head of Communications
Accountable to: SL Health Innovation Network Head of Communications
The Health Innovation Network (the Network) is the Academic Health Science Network (AHSN) for South London. The Network is a new partnership of NHS, local authority and academic organisations across South London. The Network aims to drive lasting improvements in patient care by starting innovations across the health system and capitalising on teaching and research strengths.
This post will provide communications support for the Network, and will help shape delivery of the mission and promote the presence, good reputation, and standing of the Network at local, regional, national, and international levels.
The Communications Manager provides the core communication function for the Network. The post holder will work closely with the Directors of the Network, project team and members.
The post is suitable for someone with significant communications experience, some of which will have been spent in large and complex organisations and be willing to embrace innovative ways of working.
The Communications Manager will need to work closely with the Clinical and
Innovation Themes, advising them on specific communications projects and ensuring their messages are reflected in corporate communications produced by the Network. The Communications Manager will develop communications relating to the Network
across all its founding member organisations. This will include, but will not be limited to:
§ Communication strategy development
§ Management and promotion or Network events
§ Leading the development and promotion of the Health Innovation Network brand.
§ Horizon scanning and intelligence seeking in relation to proactive media opportunities for the Network
§ Management of the communications budget
§ Management of the website and staff extranet development project, ensuring The Network is compatible with the World Wide Web Consortium (WC3), as well as ongoing content management
§ Leading on the development and production of the Network publications
§ Working across all members and at all levels, up to and including the Executives and Chairs
§ Producing regular Network communication for a variety of audiences.
§ Management of mailing lists
§ Maintenance and management of stakeholder management system
§ Management and maintenance of the collaboration portal
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1 – General Internal and External Communications
• To lead the development and implementation of the Network’s overall communications strategy, and resultant communications work-plan.
• To take responsibility for the development and management of project-based communications plans across the Network as required, e.g. in support of Clinical Theme activity
• To provide strategic communications advice to the Network’s Executive on managing external partnerships, as well as delivering internal and external stakeholder engagement activities.
• To establish and manage relationships with designers, printers and other external suppliers; commissioning and overseeing the design and production of regular and one-off marketing tools.
• To establish and maintain effective working relationships with the member organisations thereby ensuring effective and targeted communications that support the Network’s vision and mission.
• To manage the production of Network publications, newsletters, e-bulletins and all other information leaflets, ensuring effective partnership engagement at all times.
• To provide expert advice to partner organisations particularly in relation to correct Network branding and the use of branding guidelines.
• To be responsible for the establishment, management and monitoring of effective communications distribution systems and processes.
• To liaise regularly with the Communications Managers for other partner organisations, including South London HIEC on possible areas of joint communication and messaging. Provider support and communications for network communications teams to promote the Network.
• To provide basic in-house design capabilities using packages such as Adobe Indesign.
2 – E-communications and Website Development/Management
• To lead the website development project and understand the fundamentals of e-communication.
• To lead on website content management and ensure the Network complies with the World Wide Web Consortium (WC3).
• To be the web manager and assess web content for relevance and timeliness, acting as gate-keeper for all information and documentation requested to be posted on the website.
• To lead on the development of appropriate social media for the Network to ensure all communication activities are future proofed. Also Twitter standards and rules, evaluation and support for twitter events.
• Campaign management support for themes.
• Development of videos, podcasts, photos and graphics for the Network 3 – Event management
• To be responsible for the organisation and management of all Network events • To pro-actively identify opportunities to promote the Network at appropriate
4 – Media Relations
• To handle a wide range of media enquiries, liaise with colleagues to produce media statements in response to specific issues (both reactive and proactive), set up interviews with and brief appropriate staff and oversee filming on site.
• To ensure appropriate partner engagement in the management of media enquiries.
• To produce briefings for journalists and/or written statements and support staff members that may be interviewed by media on presentation style and
appropriateness of content.
• To source proactive media opportunities on behalf of the Network
• To produce media releases and promote new developments to relevant media. • Management of freedom of information matters.
5 – Finance
• To take responsibility for managing the Network communications budget • To ensure that expenditure is contained within available financial resources • To undertake monthly review and reconciliation of expenditure
Health Innovation Network Communications Manager Person Specification CRITERIA E S S E N T I A L D E S I R A B L E HOW IDENTIFIED AND ASSESSED AP = application AS = assessment I = interview P = presentation R = references Education/qualification and training
Masters Degree / Formal Post-graduate qualification or equivalent
experience x AP
Evidence of further study and continuing professional development x AP
Evidence of excellent written and verbal communication skills x AP, I, R, AS
Ability to work to time-pressured deadlines and remain calm under
pressure x AP,I, R
Ability to write clearly for a range of audiences x AP, I, R
Ability to design and set up communications office administrative systems x AP, I R Proficient in the use of all MS Office programmes, in particular Word,
Powerpoint, and Excel x AP, AS
Proficient in the use of Ruby on Rails or similar content management
system x AP,
Familiar with the principles of web usability and accessibility x AP
Excellent proofing and editing skills x AP, R, AS
Ability to work with a degree of ambiguity as KHP becomes established x I
Knowledge of the NHS and drivers for change x AP
Significant experience of working in public relations or communications environment, preferably within an NHS, Academic or Research
x AP, I, R
Experienced and confident in working with staff at all levels in all
Personal characteristics/other requirements
Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues, up to and including at
Director level. x AP, I, R
Ability to work well as an effective member of a multidisciplinary team and
to share and encourage good practice. x AP, I, R
The ability to take individual responsibility for planning and undertaking
own work, according to deadlines. x AP, I, R
Excellent interpersonal skills x AP, I, R
Resilience to work and deliver under pressure x AP, I, R