AMASYA01 yesil rehber A 123 6/18/10 1:53 PM Page 19
Teshub Statuette, Hittite Period
Amasya is a fairy tale city, dedi-cated to the Ancient Iris River (Yeﬂilirmak), written on the mo-untains. Stubborn, loving, ma-ternal, and generous… When you look you can not distingu-ish, is it the river reflected on the mountains or the reflection of the mountains in the water. With the limber lines where the steep elevations intersect with the water, it is like drawn by the hand of an artist.
This unique picture at Yeﬂil›r-mak's bank is located in the middle of the Black Sea Region. Amasya neighboring the Cen-tral Anatolia Region, is a land-locked city. There is Samsun in the north, Yozgat in the south, Tokat in the east and Çorum in the west. Amasya among the surrounding cities as well as in Turkey has a very characteristic and discrete structure in terms of geographical and settlement features. With this state it exhi-bits the stubborn attitude bea-ting the odds and its love for nature. It is alias "ﬁehzadeler ﬁehri” (The city of the son's of sultans). The sons of Ottoman Sultans, which ruled the world once, are grown up with the maturity and generosity of
Amasya.Yavuz Sultan Selim and Murad II were born in Amasya. Y›ld›r›m Bayezid, Fatih Sultan Mehmet, Bayezid II, Mu-rad III and many others are grown up in Amasya.
The city’s initial name accor-ding to the Hittite documents is known as Hakmiﬂ - Harﬂena. The hill today located within the Amasya Castle is called Har-ﬂena Mountain and the castle is called Harﬂena Castle. Harﬂena means "holy river city" and identical to Amasya. But after the Persians’ conquest, during the period of Mithridates King-dom, it has been called "Amas-seia'' and this name reached today as “Amasya”. “Amassei-a” is interpreted as the "City of the Mother Goddess Ma". Yeﬂilirmak has been the source of civilizations since Chalcolit-hic Age in Amasya. Also the passages opened by the river in the deep valleys have ensured the safest ways for thousands of years connecting Amasya to the Central Anatolia and to the Black Sea coast and enabled the permanence of the civiliza-tions in the region. That’s why Hattis, Hittites, Phrygians, Cim-merians, Scythians, Medes,
King Rock Tombs and Yal›boyu Houses
amasya 01 yesil rehber A 123 6/18/10 1:53 PM Page 21
Persians, Romans, Byzantines, Seljuks and Ilkhanids, Eretna State and of course great Otto-man Empire have left traces in Amasya.
Today, when you want to follow these traces you can start from the mounds. Ovasaray Köyü (Village) Hamam Hill, Kümpet, Keﬂlik, Ayval›p›nar, Devret and Yo¤urtçu Baba mounds take you to the Chalcolithic Age. King Rock Tombs, Amasya Cast-le, ﬁehzadeler Museum and Ha-zeranlar Kona¤› (Mansion) Eth-nography Museum, are impor-tant stops during the journey you will take to history in Amas-ya. For a quick tour, one can find traces of life in all periods in the city all together. Amasya Castle, built on Harﬂena Moun-tain, a castle as well as urban settlement over the centuries, Ottoman houses located on the fortifications called Yal›boyu at Yeﬂilirmak River bank and do-zens of monuments make Amasya a unique city and a mu-seum city. Very important
sci-entists, artists, poets and famo-us persons were born and lived in Amasya. The famous medical doctor and surgeon Sabuncuza-de ﬁerefeddin, historian Aﬂ›k Paﬂa, Yakut-i Mustasimi, one of the calligraphers that created “Amasya Ecole” in Ottoman cal-ligraphy, ﬁeyh Hamdullah known as the master of callig-raphers, calligrapher and poet Tacizade Cafer Çelebi, Fatih Sultan Mehmet and his teac-hers Akﬂemseddin and Zembilli Ali Efendi, Mihri Hatun the first Ottoman female poet with a di-van (book of collected poems) and another female poet Zey-nep Hatun. The world famous geographer Strabo whose works that could be found translated into many languages all around the world, describes Amasya in his works as "My city is a city for kings of rare beauty that could be built by man kind." Strabo from Amasya is the owner of the phrase " What can be imagined can never be destroyed ".
Geneological Table, Ottoman Period
amasya 01 yesil rehber A 123 6/18/10 1:53 PM Page 23
Traveler G. PERRAT, who has visited the city in 1861 said "Amasya is the Oxford of Ana-tolia!”
And there is also an immortal love legend of Amasya though, as if Ferhat’s and ﬁirin’s voices are still echoing in the mounta-ins… The city is important in the history of the Republic. One the most important steps of the War of Independence has been taken here and the strategy of the liberation has been final-ized on 22 June 1919 via the Amasya Memorandum, the birt certificate of the Turkish Republic which has awakened the consciousness of the peo-ple. Although surrounded by steep rises, its hills are not very high. Plains are very fertile lands. The natural beauty crea-ted by these hills and plains is worth to see. Although influen-ced by the continental climate of Central Anatolia, this valley city has a unique mild climate in the lower parts. Along with history tourism, with the rich-ness of nature, travel, sports
and health tourism Amasya is one of the dearests in Turkey. Amasya Boraboy Lake-Akda¤ National Park with the ongoing works, Terziköy Thermal Springs, Yedi Ku¤ular Bird Sanctuary (Yedi- k›r Dam), Ha-mamözü Thermal Springs are natural places to be certainly vi-sited before leaving Amasya. Amasya's self-famous 'Misket Apple', its 'Keﬂkek', 'Toyga So-up', ‘Çiçek Bamyas›’ (Okra) and 'Baklal› Dolma’ (vine leaves stuffed withjbroad bean) are the traditional flavors that sho-uld be tasted. On the top of the souvenirs list are Misket Apple, the symbol of the city with its unique aroma and taste, apple molasses, kuru çiçek bamyas› (dried flower okra), Amasya çö-re¤i (cookie) and bak›r semaver (copper tea urn). One also can find sovvenirs such as handic-raft of the women of Amasya, li-ke handcrafted dolls made of corn cob shell, silver jewelry, fabrics and rugs.
So here is the 40 steps route of this magical beauty fairy tale…
amasya 01 yesil rehber A 123 6/18/10 1:53 PM Page 25
1- AMASYA KALES‹ (CASTLE)
The castle founded on Harﬂe-na Mountain in the north of the city has an altitude of 262 m from Yeﬂilirmak River. Cast-le is also known with the name of Mount Harﬂena which it is built on. According to the Ara-bic historians, it has been built by "the Turkish ruler Kar-san Khan"; according to the western historians, by " Mit-hridates, the Black Sea Cappa-docia King". However, the finds proves that the castle has been inhabited continuo-usly from the Early Bronze Age to the present. Amasya Castle consists of three parts. a) Harﬂena Kalesi (Fort) The fort is the pinnacle of the castle, where there are walls built in the Hellenistic Period, cisterns built in different peri-ods, Cilanbolu Tunnel cisterns and still not excavated Otto-man Period Quarter ruins. It’s a great view point where one can see the magnificent Amas-ya city settlement.
The tunnel located in the cen-tral part of the Harﬂena Fort, has been built in the 4th cen-tury BC and it’s called among the people so-called
"Cilanbo-lu Tunnel". The cistern has been carved into the bedrock with 4 m in width, 3,90 m in height and 181m in length with a base with 364 stone steps. b) K›zlar Saray› (Palace) and King Rock Tombs (Central Castle)
In the region on the southern slopes of Amasya Castle 5 mo-numental rock tombs, two Ot-toman and Seljuk hammams belonging to the 14th and the 15th century carved into the rocks and the secret passage "Ceylan Yolu Tunnel" starting from this region going down to Yeﬂil›rmak and Hellenistic Pe-riod walls are located. c) Enderun Castle – the Inner City (the Citadel)
In this area located between the K›zlar Saray› and the walls at the Yeﬂil›rmak River, and still called as Hatuniye Dis-trict, in the former Ottoman Street pattern, mosques, baths, Ottoman fountains, museums, historic buildings, 67 residences, registered and still used as living spaces, bo-utique hotels, hostels, restau-rants and cafes are located. Amasya Castle is a place that must be considered as a spe-cial destination.
King Rock Tombs
2- KING ROCK TOMBS
King rock tombs are 5 monu-mental tombs belonging to the Kings of Mithridates King-dom carved into the limestone rocks on southern slopes of Amasya Castle. The height of the tombs is between 14-7 m and, around burial chambers there is a (U) formed (religious ritual) corridor surrounding the chambers. In the burial chambers, there are corpse platforms on the stone bench in the burial chamber and sar-cophagus, covered by vaulted and flat roofs. The tombs are connected to each other thro-ugh stairs. They are dated to the Hellenistic Age (the Mithri-dates Kingdom) years 299-180 BC. Within the Yeﬂilirmak val-ley there are 21 tombs at va-rious dimensions. One of the most beautiful examples of the tombs, which is also called Aynal› Ma¤ara (mirrored cave) is the tomb of Tes, the Great Priest of the Universe. On the inner surface of the vault co-vering the monumental tomb, built in the 2nd century BC, frescos of 12 apostles, 6 on each side, standing and fron-tally, are painted. These
fres-cos are painted during the se-cond usage of the tomb in the Byzantine Period in the 8th – 9th centuries AD as a monas-tery.
3- YALIBOYU HOUSES
In the domicil architecture, the wooden buildings reflect the traditional Turkish architectu-re elements. The houses aarchitectu-re remarkable with oriels, hip-ped roofs, with their wide and wooden decorations. The most beautiful examples of these houses are Yeﬂil›rmak Yal›boyu houses. Amasya, with its examples of traditio-nal Turkish architecture, has the view of a well-kept city of a rich character in terms of town architecture. Due to a fire in 1915 the traditional quarters in Yüzevler has been burned.
amasya Yal›boyu Houses 01 yesil rehber A 123 6/18/10 1:53 PM Page 29
The examples of the traditio-nal housing, which could be preserved within the city structure of today in the cen-ter of Amasya as well as in Gü-müﬂhac›köy and Merzifon, are like visual feasts. This archi-tectural composition can be observed especially in the city center of Amasya, in Yal›boyu on the banks of Yeﬂil›rmak, in Hatuniye and Sofular, Helkis, Haci ‹lyas and ﬁamlar quar-ters. Amasya houses, in the yard cooled by pomegranate, mulberry and jujube trees, where floor furnaces and ovens are available, which are used in the summers, consis-ting of haremlik(the part of a house reserved for the wo-men) and selaml›k(the part of Muslim house reserved for the men) having the traditional and regional characteristic, are attracting the attention with their façades having abo-ve the sliding (guillotine) win-dows triangular pediments.
4- ﬁEHZADELER MUSEUM
Amasya ﬁehzadeler Museum, a mansion built in the 19th century, is a structure of the late Ottoman Period. It is built, on the 5m wide walls of Amas-ya Castle at the bridge head of Alçak Köprü(bridge) in Hatuni-ye Quarter. It forms the silho-uette of the city at Yeﬂil›rmak roast in Yal›boyu together with the castle. The building, reconstructed by the Amasya Governorship according to its original architecture in 2007, has been opened to the visit in 2008 as the Private ﬁehzade-ler Museum administrated by City Governor Administrative Structure.
The museum consists of a two-storey wooden building. Downstairs, the wax sculptu-res of the princes who have served as governor in Amasya but he didn't have the oppor-tunity to become the Sultan, upstairs the wax sculptures of Ottoman Sultans are exhibi-ted.
5- HAZERANLAR KONA⁄I (MANSION)
The Mansion has been built in 1865 by the head of treasury Hasan Talat Efendi and given as a gift to his sister Hazeran Han›m. The three-storey buil-ding, with its sections as
ha-ﬁehzadeler Museum ﬁehzadeler Museum
remlik, selaml›k, is in the style of a classical Ottoman Mansi-on. Hazeranlar Mansion has been expropriated by the Mi-nistry of Culture and Tourism in 1979 and has been restora-ted. In 1983, it has been ope-ned to visit as the Ethnog-raphy Museum.
At Hazeranlar Mansion, eth-nographic objects such as clothes, carpets and rugs, kitchen tools, women orna-ments and jewelry, reflecting the daily life and social life of Amasya in 19th century are on display.
6- ALÇAK KÖPRÜ (BRIDGE)
It has been built during the Roman Period in the 2nd cen-tury AD on Yeﬂil›rmak, to pro-vide round-trip between the Amasya castle (acropolis) and the quarters across. As the Ro-man city ruins are at a 6-7m lo-wer level today, and as the bridge arches stayed under water after the rise of the bed river, bridge piers have been built on the ancient arches of the bridge in 1865 by the or-ders of Ziya Paﬂa, Governor of Amasya, and this enabled the bridge to survive till today.
Alçak Bridge 31
amasya 01 yesil rehber A 123 6/18/10 1:53 PM Page 31
7- AMASYA MUSEUM
In 1925 the museum establis-hed by combining restricted number of archaeological arti-facts and the Islamic period mummies gathered in the two rooms of the madrasah which was a part of Sultan Mahmud II Külliyesi (Islamic-Ottoman Social Complex) has been mo-ved to Gök Madrasah Mosque, a Seljukian period monument, in 1962 as a result of the in-crease in the number of arti-facts in time.
The museum has been moved to the today’s museum buil-ding on March 22, 1977. All the artifacts have been rear-ranged in order to be displa-yed according to the chronolo-gical order and the museum has been opened to visit in 1980.
Amasya is a root guide, a his-torical inventory for the city and its environs. In the muse-um 23.000 archaeolog-ical and ethnograph-ic artifacts, starting from Chalcolithic Age to the Bronze Age, and Hittite, U r a r t u , P h r y g i a n ,
Scythian Period, Hellenistic Ages, Roman, Byzantine, Seljukian, ‹lhanl› and Ottoman Period and mummies are
pre-s e r v e d .
And some of them are exhibit-ed. In the museum garden, the stone work belonging to Hitti-te, Hellenistic, Roman, Byzan-tine, Ilhanl›, Seljuk and Otto-man periods are exhibited.
The mummies in the museum are exhibited in the tomb, be-longing to Seljuk Sultan I, loca-ted in the garden of the muse-um. There are eight mummies in the museum. It is believed that they belong to ‹ﬂbu¤a No-yin, Cumudar, ‹zzettin Mehmet Pervane Bey, his concubine, his daughters and sons. He was the minister and emir du-ring the dominance of the Il-hans in Anatolia in the 14th century.
The mummies belonging to ‹ﬂ-bu¤a Noyin and Cumudar Bey are transferred from "Cumadar Tomb" next to the Burmal› Mosque and the other mummi-es are transferred from the cel-lar of Fethiye Mosque in 1855 to this tomb.
They have been transferred to the museum from here.
Amasya Museum - Mesud I. Tomb
Camel headed Jug, Iron Age 32
9- GÖK MEDRESE CAM‹‹ (MADRASAH MOSQUE) -TORUMTAY TÜRBES‹ (TOMB)
Gök Medrese Mosque which is a Seljukian monument, accor-ding to the copy of a deed of trust in the Foundation Re-cords, has been built by the Amasya Governor Emir Sey-feddin Torumtay in 1266-1267. On the door of the mosque ex-hibited in the museum, the na-me of the craftsman is stated as "ameli Ebu’l Müslim el-Neccar”. The madrasah na-med as Gök (meaning sky) Madrasah because of the tur-quoise tiles of the spire of the adjacent Torumtay Dome was planned with dual function both mosque and madrasah. The building is entered thro-ugh the iwan reached via the stairs. Each sides of the iwan there are two lodge rooms
lo-cated. To the east of the mos-que the tomb with a square plan has been added. One passes to the tomb through an entrance in iwan style. Tomb of which the main walls are built of stone, the spire and tambour of brick, regarding especially the glazed brick de-corations on its tambour, is among the most important examples of its period. Torumtay Tomb is near Gök Madrasah Mosque. It was bu-ilt in 1278 upon the orders of Seyfeddin Torumtay, Amasya Governor, a two-storey buil-ding on a rectangular plan of ashlar stone. It is one of the few examples of rectangular buildings in Anatolia. The or-naments on the buttresses on the façades are in emboss-ment style started to develop since the second half of the 13th century.
Torumtay Tomb Gök Madrasah Mosque
amasya 01 yesil rehber A 123 6/18/10 1:53 PM Page 33
10- II. BAYEZ‹D KÜLL‹YES‹ (ISLAMIC OTTOMAN SOCIAL COMPLEX)
The construction of the comp-lex consisting of mosque, madrasah, imaret and muvak-kithane (little building where time for the ezan is determi-ned) has started on the order of Ottoman Sultan Bayezid II by his son ﬁehzade Ahmed in 1485 and was completed in 1486. In the later years, a hot water and snow fountain, mu-vakkithane, a second fountain and six shops are added to the complex. The building is stri-king with its stone work and the wooden ornaments on the wings of the doors and
win-dows. To the east of the mos-que, in the tomb with a single coffin ﬁehzade Osman is buri-ed. In the west of the mosque, madrasah composed of eigh-teen cells is located. Madra-sah today is used as the Pro-vincial Public Library. To the east of the mosque, imaret is located. Today, with its main function, the imaret is still used as the soup kitchen of Social Assistance and Solida-rity Foundation of Amasya Go-vernorship. The landscapes of ‹stanbul on the dome of the fountain of Amasya Bayezid II Külliyesi and the ceiling skir-tings of the muvakkithane are also striking works.
Bayezid II. Islamic Ottoman Social Complex
Bayezid II. Islamic Ottoman Social Complex 34
11- BURMALI M‹NARE CAM‹‹ (MOSQUE)
It’s located in Dere Quarter. According to the inscription on the entrance gate of the buil-ding it has been built upon the orders Necmeddin Ferruh Bey, the vizier of G›yasettin Keyhüsrev II, and his brother the Treasurer Yusuf Bey in 1243. The tomb built of ashlar stone with a pyramidal roof, adjacent to the left corner of the entrance façade of the mosque, is known as "Cumu-dar Bey Tomb". The mummi-es of Cumudar Bey and Abuﬂ-ka Noyin Bey in the museum have been transported from here to the museum. Its mina-ret, built in the 17th century, carries the early period cha-racteristics of Ottoman
archi-tecture. The monument with its wooden pulpit with an ins-cription is also known as "Mahkeme Camii".
12- AMASYA TAﬁHAN (INN)
The building built upon the or-ders of Rahtuvan Haci Mehmet Paﬂa, Amasya Governor, in 1699 has a rectangular layout. There is a portal on the inner west façade of the building which is also in conjunction with the rooms on the lower and upper layers of the struc-ture, opening to the outside. The outer façades on the east-west and north are surroun-ded by vaulted shops along the first floor. In the original plan, the body wall with lines of cut bricks rises as two sto-reys.
Amasya Taﬂhan (Inn) Burmal› Minare Mosque
amasya 01 yesil rehber A 123 6/18/10 1:53 PM Page 35
13- DARÜﬁﬁ‹FA / B‹MARHANE (HOSPITAL)
It is located in Pirinçci Quarter on Pirinçci Street. It has been built upon the orders of ‹lduz (meaning ‘star’) Hatun, Ilkha-nid ruler Sultan Muhammad Olcayto's wife, in 1308-1309. It’s a monument where medi-cal education has been given while the patients have been treated and the students have been presented with surgeri-es. Until 1873, the madrasah has educated many famous doctors. The most important of these is Sabuncuzade ﬁere-feddin. In the 16th century, it has been transformed to a centre where mental patients and psychopaths were treated by musical therapy. Darüﬂﬂifa, where also experimental tech-niques of medicine were exer-cised and medical education was given, with these featu-res, take place on the top among the rare medical
cen-ters in Anatolia. The building which has thick solid walls, monumental entrance façade covered with cut stone, was built of rubble and mortar. Or-naments on the portal are em-bossed with high relief techni-que. The cross-legged woman figure on the low-arched lock stone of the portal is assumed to be ‹lduz Hatun who has or-dered the building to be build.
14- Ç‹LEHANE CAM‹‹ (MOSQUE) / P‹R ‹LYAS ZAV‹YES‹ (DERVISH LODGE)
The building built by Amasya Beylerbeyi (Grand seignior) Yakup Paﬂa in 1412/1413 is a Khalwati lodge. In the north unit of the lodge consisting of two different parts united by a corridor, there is a semahhane (place used for semah rituals) with a square layout and a do-me, and two spaces with square layout one of which used as a tomb.
Darüﬂﬂifa / Bimarhane (Hospital)
Çilehane Mosque 36
The unit on the south however is consisting of the prayer ro-om in the middle with square layout and a dome and of two quite narrow invocation rooms on either side with fireplace niches inside.
Today, in the region called Pir-ler Park, Pir ‹lyas and Pir Ham-dullah tombs, striking with their architectural craftsmans-hip, are located.
15- KUNÇ KÖPRÜ (BRIDGE)
Built in the 12th century upon the orders of Hundi Hatun, Seljukian ruler Sultan Mesut’s daughter, it connects Bayezid-paﬂa and ﬁamlar quarters with each other. With its wide arch distance on three big feet, it is the most conspicuous one among the capstone bridges.
16- BÜYÜK A⁄A
According to its inscription, Büyük A¤a Madrasah was built in 1489 by Hüseyin A¤a, the chief eunuch for Bayezid II. The madrasah is striking with its different plan. Octagonal shaped, on the axis of the cross edges of the octagon are domed iwans included, to the south of the courtyard large square, domed classroom co-vering the whole façade has been placed. This room is no-table in the way of projecting outwards from the body walls and the porch in front of its or for being covered with a do-me of this room to create the body and the porch in front of the door unit is notable for be-ing covered with a dome.
Büyük A¤a Madrasah 37
amasya 01 yesil rehber A 123 6/18/10 1:53 PM Page 37
17- SARAYDÜZÜ MILITARY BARRACKS, NATIONAL WAR OF INDEPENDENCE MUSEUM AND CONGRESS CENTER
Amasya hosted Atatürk and his friends during the period of War of Independence, and has an importance place in the establishment of the Turkish Republic and War of Indepen-dence.
Atatürk who arrived at Amasya on June 12, 1919 after his visit to Samsun, after lingering dis-cussions at Saraydüzü Mili-tary Barracks, has announced the Amasya Memorandum to the whole nation on 21 to 22 June 1919.
The Military Barracks became a prime location in our recent history in terms of being the place where the birth certifica-te of our Republic, "Amasya Memorandum", has been an-nounced to the whole world. At the entrance of ﬁamlar Qu-arter, in 2007 it has attained the look of today after the re-construction made in its origi-nal architecture. In the buil-ding, the moment of welco-ming Atatürk and his friends in the committee on June 12, 1919 at 17:00 at Kulistepe by a delegation from is animated by wax statues. Also in the bu-ilding, there are the old and
new copies of Amasya Memo-randum, the weapons and do-cuments from the War of Inde-pendence years.
18- STRABO (63 BC - 21/24 AD)
Strabo, the famous geograp-her and historian, was born in 64-63 BC in Amasya. Having a rich family Strabo had a good education and he traveled to many places. He produced masterpieces on history, ge-ography, and philosophy, thanks to all the knowledge he gained during his travels. Little parts are left from his book, composed of 43 volu-mes related to history, Histori-ka Hypomnemata (Historical Notes).
The book Geographumena or Geographika (Geography), which has been prepared in alignment with the informati-on, available during that peri-od, where he does not only talks about geography, but in-terlinks the history and the philosophy of the geography as well.
After his travels, he came back to Amasya, which he calls “my hometown” and he spent rest of his life here. He died in 21 / 24 AD in Amasya. A new made sculpture is displayed at ﬁeh-zadeler Park.
Saraydüzü Military Barracks, National War of Independence Museum And Congress Center 01 yesil rehber A 123 6/18/10 1:53 PM Page 38
19- FERHAT WATER CHANNEL
It is the drinking water trans-mission structure built in the Hellenistic Period, to meet the the water needs of Amasya ac-ross the castle. Water chan-nels have been built in the wa-ter gage system. Its length is 25 km. The channel beginning in K›rkgöz Ovasaray, is vaulted under the earth at some pla-ces, and carved into the rocks at Ferhataras›. Passing thro-ugh Gökmedrese, Yüzevler qu-arters, it ends in Beyaz›tpaﬂa Quarter. According to the po-pular legend among the peop-le these channels have been made by Ferhat who drilled the mountains to reach his lover ﬁirin. It is the most important symbol of a love legend known as "Ferhat and ﬁirin" in Anato-lia. It is inevitable to say that the channel is created by the work of hundreds of people under the conditions of that period, considering the geog-raphic location of the structu-re, the diameter and the length. The remains of the channel can be seen in Fer-hataras› neighborhood.
20- THE LEGEND OF “FERHAT AND ﬁ‹R‹N”
Legend is that Ferhat who was a famous muralist, fell in love with ﬁirin, the sister of Sultan
Mehmene Banu. Ferhat sends a match-maker so as to get permission to marry her. Not willing to permit, Sultan stipu-lates something impossible: “There’s no water in the city. If Ferhat can bring water to the city I’ll permit their marriage.” The water can only reach this city following a very far and ro-ugh way called "ﬁahinkaya-s›". However Ferhat is a brave man with the love of ﬁirin in his heart. Holding the pick he hits the rocks. Rocks split of, giving way to the water. Meh-mene Banu, realizing Ferhat is about to win finds a witch and sends the witch where Ferhat works for the water channel. She slyly smiles and says: “Why do you hit the rocks with such ambition? ﬁirin is dead.”. Ferhat says in sorrow: “I can’t live in a world without ﬁirin”. In pain Ferhat throws his pick in the air.
The pick falls down to his he-ad and Ferhat gets killed in the water channel for his love that he has opened. She sho-uts her lover’s name “ﬁ‹R‹N!” out so loud that it’s heard everywhere. ﬁirin, who’s al-ways waiting something to he-ar from the rocks hehe-ars her na-me called. As she learns about that Ferhat has died, she jumps over the rocks and dies. Her lifeless body lies next to
Ferhat and ﬁirin Statues
amasya 01 yesil rehber A 123 6/18/10 1:53 PM Page 39
BORABOY LAKE - AKDA⁄ NATIONAL PARK
Natural wonder Lake Borabay located 21 km away from Ta-ﬂova district center, is a natu-ral dam lake formed by the blockage of a small stream by the debris coming from the surrounding, at a height of 1050 meters above the sea le-vel. It is located in the north-east of Amasya's highest mo-untain Akda¤. Besides the na-tural beauty formed by the la-ke, the mixed forest cover in the surrounding consisting of beech, pine, oak and hornbe-am are also here increasing the importance of this place. Boraboy Lake, with its bunga-lows, restaurants, hiking tra-ils, camping and picnic areas, is in the state of being a centre visited by local and foreign vi-sitors. With still ongoing works, 10035.00 ha Amasya Boraboy Lake Akda¤ National Park, is 22 km to Suluova, 47 km to Amasya-Merzifon Air-port, 61 km to Amasya city center. All the plateaus are de-corated with different flowers in different seasons. Many species of endemic plants are creating riots of colors during the time of flowering. Sar›çi-çek (meaning ‘yellow flower’)
Plateau, a visual treasure with its yellow flowers. The plateau gets its name from these flo-wers. In this area where local nomad highland culture is li-ved intensely, there are also plateau houses. Derinöz Can-yon is one of the most special places in this area.Areas con-venient to take photos in all seasons have a wealth of wild-life, and many mammals, bird species and jades can be seen in every season of the year. It has characteristics to feature ecotourism activities such as canyon trips, plateau tourism, moto-cross tours, jeep safari, photo-safari, trekking, nature sports. National Park Field, of which the works are still ongo-ing, has also winter tourism landscape values. There is a ski centre at 2 km north of La-dik (district of Samsun), and again 3km south of National Park the works of Amasya Ak-da¤ ski center are continued.
22- BARAKLI KALES‹ (CASTLE)
It is located in the south of Öz-barakl› in Taﬂova, at a distan-ce of about 2 km. It is a small garrison built during the Ro-man period to ensure the se-curity of the caravan route passing through the area. It has a watchtower and walls
built of rubble stone and lime mortar.
23- ULUKÖY S‹NAN PAﬁA HAMAMI (HAMMAM)
One of the most important monuments in Taﬂova-Uluköy is Sinan Paﬂa Hammam. It is assumed that this historical bath has been built by Sinan Paﬂa who is also the founder of the imaret in Afyon Sincanl› while he was Sivas Governor. The building is considered to be built before 1525 as Sinan Paﬂa has died at that date. Even though being damaged substantially in the earthqua-ke of 1942, it still preserves its architectural and artistic valu-es. The hammam has a quite interesting door composition. It has been restorated accor-ding to its original by the Di-rectorate of Foundations in 1997.
24- YASSIHÖYÜK / OLUZ HÖYÜK (MOUND)
During the excavations in Yas-s›höyük in Gözlek Village clo-se to Amasya city centre, carri-ed out by Assoc. Dr. ﬁevket DÖNMEZ from Near Eastern Archaeology Department, Uni-versity of ‹stanbul since 2007, significant architectural
rema-ins and foundlings have been unearthed. The excavations are continuing.
25- TERZ‹KÖY THERMAL SPRING
Terziköy Thermal Spring, loca-ted 36 km away from the city center, has 54:000 m2green area. The temperature of the water is 39.5 ° C. With a 72-bed hotel, all rooms having thermal water, a 45-bed mo-tel, restaurants, swimming po-ols, private booths, shopping facilities, a children's playgro-und, picnic areas and private accommodation, it has an im-portant place in the region's thermal tourism potential. It can be reached by private car or by scheduled public trans-port.
26- GÖKÇEL‹ KALES‹ (CASTLE)
It’s 8 km northwest of the Göy-nücek, approximately 1 km northeast of Gökçeli Village, on the rocks, overlooking the Çekerek Valley. It has been used as a garrison during the Roman period. It has a tunnel with many steps. In the diffe-rent parts of the castle there are corridors carved into the rocks.
Terziköy Thermal Spring
amasya 01 yesil rehber A 123 6/18/10 1:53 PM Page 41
27- YED‹KIR DAM (YED‹ KU⁄ULAR BIRD SANCTUARY)
Yedik›r Dam Lake the biggest irrigation dam of the region lo-cated in Suluova has a volume of 60 million m3. The dam, al-so called Yedi Ku¤ular Bird Sanctuary is under protection. The lake being on the migrati-on routes of birds is the natu-ral habitat of the birds in the winter months. The surroun-dings of the lake is used as a promenade. The Lake is a bird sanctuary giving shelter to more than 34 bird species be-longing to 16 families such as swans, graylags, mallards, ruddy shaddocks, cormorants and herons.
28- ÇELEB‹ MEHMET MEDRESES‹ (MADRASAH) AND THE CLOCK TOWER
It’s located on Merzifon Cumhuriyet Street in Camii Cedit Quarter, next to mosque with the same name. The mosque has been built by Çelebi Mehmed's son Sultan Murad II in 1426. The building of the madrasah has been started in 1414 upon orders from Çelebi Mehmed and has been completed by Umur bin Ali Bey in 1417. Amasya Governor Ziya Paﬂa had the clock tower on the entrance door built in a later period.
29- MERZ‹FON TAﬁHANI (INN)
It is located across the Merzi-fon Bedesten. Taﬂhan, one of the typical inner city Ottoman inns, with regards to its tech-nique and craftsmanship, pre-sents the character of the 17th century.
Its walls are built of ashlar sto-ne and brick with alternative wall technique. It has a rectan-gular layout and has two sto-reys. Its round-arched gate is located at the south façade. The courtyard is surrounded by porches with thick ashlar stone columns.
Çelebi Mehmed Madrasah and Clock Tower 42
The two elegant fountains bu-ilt next to each other at the north façade are are aesthetic elements of the inn.
30- SOFULAR CAM‹‹ (MOSQUE)
It is located in Merzifon Sofu-lar Quarter. The mosque is a structure consisting of a foun-tain and a tomb. In terms of its style, it is estimated that it has been built at the end of the 15th century and at the begin-ning of the 16th century. Only the lower part of the cylindri-cal brick minaret on the nort-hwest corner of the mosque restored by General Directora-te of Foundations, when al-most all of it was collapsed, in its original structure, is origi-nal.
31- KARA MUSTAFA PAﬁA CAM‹‹ (MOSQUE)
Kara Mustafa Paﬂa, one of the Grand Viziers of the Ottoman Empire, is from Merzifon's Ma-r›nca Village. Resulting in fa-ilure of the Siege of Vienna has been the end of the great statesman’s life. Kara Mustafa Paﬂa Mosque located in the Gazi Mahbub Quarter in
Merzi-fon, has been built in 1666. The main prayer hall having a rectangular plan consists of two parts. In the single-domed main section, the weight of the dome in the north is loa-ded over three arches and two piers, so taking back by the north wall, space has been ex-panded. Fountain of the mos-que was repaired in 1840 and in 1851, and in 1875 ‹stanbul landscapes has been pictured by an artist named Zileli Emin with hand-carved technique on the inner surface of the fo-untain's dome. It takes place among the most important examples of the period.
Kara Mustafa Paﬂa Mosque 43
amasya 01 yesil rehber A 123 6/18/10 1:53 PM Page 43
32- AB‹DE HATUN CAM‹‹ (MOSQUE)
The mosque located in Merzi-fon, Karamustafa Paﬂa Village, has been built upon the orders of Abide Hatun, mother of Grand Vizier Kara Mustafa Pa-ﬂa, at the beginning of the 17th century. In the mosque it is possible to see the best examples of ornamentations made with hand-carved on wood.
33- P‹R‹ BABA TÜRBES‹ (TOMB)
Piri Baba Tomb located in
Nus-retiye Quarter of Merzifon, is one of the important pilgrima-ges of the period. Detailed in-formation about Pir Baba's life unfortunately has not reached today. However, Evliya Çele-bi's travel book comes at the first place among the sources giving information about him. The Tomb was built as two storeys, and ground floor is the funeral part. The top floor which can be visited is where the coffin is placed. The coffin here is unusually high and wi-de. With regards of the gene-ral structure, tomb offers an
amasya Abide Hatun Mosque
Abide Hatun Mosque
enslaved appearance. Since there is no inscription regar-ding to its construction, we don't possess any information about the precise date. However, considering the arc-hitectural characteristics it is assumed that it might have been built in the 13th century.
34- YÖRGÜÇ RÜSTEM PAﬁA CAM‹‹ (MOSQUE)
The mosque located in Gü-müﬂhac›köy, was built in 1429 upon the orders of Yörgüç Rüstem Paﬂa. The initial cons-truction of which is known to
be half-timbered was rebuilt in 1560.
The building, went through many repairs over time, has been damaged in the eart-hquake in 1939 and was rebu-ilt in 1946.
The interior of the rectangular building is standing on four rectangular feet; central space has three consecutive domes the rear side of the mosque is vaulted.
The entrance façade of the mosque has pillars and cove-red by flat wooden ceiling on wood beams.
amasya Piri Baba Tomb
Yörgüç Rüstem Paﬂa Mosque 01 yesil rehber A 123 6/18/10 1:53 PM Page 45
35- MADEN CAM‹‹ (MOSQUE)
It has been built as a church in 1800s in the Gümüﬂ Quarter in Gümüﬂhac›köy and has later been converted into a mos-que. It is rectangular in east-west direction. The interior is divided into three bays. All of wooden ornaments are the original ornaments dating from the days when the mos-que used to be church. The corners of the façades are of ashlar stone, body walls are stone masonry. The narthex is on the west. It is covered by three domes resting on four pillars. The roof of the main
area is covered with Turkish style tiles and has three rows of hedgehog eave. The origi-nal frescoes of the church un-covered during the restoration work carried out in 2007, can be seen in the mosque.
36- KÖPRÜLÜ MEHMED PAﬁA CAM‹‹ (MOSQUE)
The Mosque was built upon orders of Grand Vizier Köprülü Mehmed Paﬂa in 1660. Since it has crashed down in the eart-hquake in 1939, it has been rebuilt in 1948. The building material of the mosque with a rectangular plan is rubble sto-ne. The narthex is closed and its upper coverage is a woo-den ceiling. It has a minaret with a single balcony. It is lo-cated in Gümüﬂhac›köy.
37- HAL‹L‹YE MEDRESES‹ (MADRASAH)
It is located in Gümüﬂ Quarter in Gümüﬂhac›köy. It has been built in 1415 by Halil Paﬂa who was appointed to Gümüﬂ Ma-deni Emirate by Çelebi Sultan Mehmed. In the Madrasah which is the only building with a closed courtyard in the regi-on, the central closed court-yard is collapsed and the open courtyard of today is surroun-ded by porches with wooden lancet arches and flat ceilings.
Köprülü Mehmed Paﬂa Mosque 46
In the rear main classrooms and rooms with three iwans are lined up.
38- GÜMÜﬁHACIKÖY BE-DESTEN‹ (BAZAAR)
It is located in the south of Köprülü Mosque. It has been built by Köprülü Mehmet Paﬂa in 1660 as a mosque complex in his name. It has a long, nar-row rectangular plan in the east-west direction. Especially the door overlooking the square of the four-door buil-ding is more elaborated and in 1900 the clock tower has been built above it by Yanyal› Mus-tafa Paﬂa's son Ali R›za Bey. The red-white arch structure at the entrance doors of the bedesten which has gone partly through modification as the result of the restorations carried out in time, give a ro-yalty to the building. It is known that upon the collapse of the clock tower built in 1900s, the towers of today ha-ve been built instead.
39- HAMAMÖZÜ THERMAL SPRING
It is located 90 km away from Amasya city center in Hama-mözü. The temperature of the water is 42.5 °C.
There are Eski Hamam and within the Gimpaﬂ Hotel a swimming pool and Turkish baths. Hamamözü Thermal Spring Water, according to the results of the analysis is in the group of “Oligo-mineral wa-ter”.
40- DO NOT LEAVE WITHOUT TASTING
Don’t leave the city, without tasting the M‹SKET ELMA, which is also called the Amas-ya Apple, the BAKLALI YAPRAK SARMASI (rolls with broad be-ans), which is a unique taste, that you never came across so far, and also KEﬁKEK (special wheat meal cooked with me-at), from the local cuisine of Amasya, the healthy and tasty TOYGA SOUP (cooked with yo-gurt and wheat).
amasya 01 yesil rehber A 123 6/18/10 1:53 PM Page 47