Academic Curriculum VitaePersonal Data
Name and Surname: Roberto Castaldi EDUCATION
In 1990 I was admitted to the United World College of the Adriatic in Duino (TS) with a full scholarship, after a national selection. I attended the UWC for the last two years of high school with students from over 80 Countries, and I got the International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB) in English in 1992. Undergraduate Studies Postgraduate studies Current Position 1 Current Position 2
From November 1992 to April 1997 I was "allievo ordinario" of the Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna di Studi Universitari e di Perfezionamento of Pisa, fulfilling all academic obligations provided by the Scuola. I graduated at the University of Pisa on time, as foreseen by the Scuola rules.
In April 1997, I graduated in Political Sciences (4 years program) at the University of Pisa with a dissertation about "La filosofia politica di Kant: alle origini del federalismo come pensiero politico della pace" (Kant's political philosophy: at the origins of federalism as the political thought of peace). I graduated with 110/110 and distinction.
In 1999 I obtained the Diploma of the postgraduate interdisciplinary course in International Relations (one year course) organized by the Forum Per i Problemi della pace e della guerra (Forum for the problems of peace and war) of Firenze with the Italian Foreign Affairs Ministry. I got the maximum vote;
In 2000 I obtained a Master of Arts in European Studies with Maximum vote and Distinction at the Graduate School of European and International Studies at the University of Reading (UK).
In 2002, I obtained a PhD in Political Sciences with 100/100 and distinction at the Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna di Studi Universitari e di Perfezionamento of Pisa, with a Dissertation in English on "A contribution to a theory of international systems change".
definition of the job: Associate Professor of Political Theory Starting date of the job: 12/5/2014.
Institution: eCampus University
Short description of the responsibilities: I Chair the Bachelor Course in Communication Sciences; I teach the courses of Analysis of Political Language, and Philosophical Analysis of Political Thought.
Member of the Quality Commission of the Faculty of Psychology; Coordinator of the Research Committee of the Faculty of Psychology.
definition of the job: Research fellow
Current position 3
Current position 4
changed. Sometimes in the change of contract there have been small formal breaks, even if the working cooperation was always in place. Institution: Centro Studi sul Federalismo (CSF) of Torino - since 2013
Fondazione Centro Studi sul Federalismo (Foundation Centre for Studies on Federalism): consortium between the Compagnia di San Paolo di Torino (Banking Foundation) and the Universities of Turin, Milan and Pavia.
Short description of the responsibilities: in time I had research, editorial and coordination duties. I was editorial , then Vice-editor and now Editor of the Bibliographical Bulletin on Federalism and of the peer review open access journal Perspectives on Federalism.
definition of the job: Founder, Administrator and Director of the area Research and Development
Starting date: January 2013
Institution: Centro Studi, formazione, comunicazione e progettazione sull'Unione Europea e la global governance s.r.l. or or International Centre for European and Global Governance Ltd (CesUE), spin-off company of the Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna di Pisa.
Short description of the responsibilities: direction, coordination and representation of the company. CesUE already obtained contracts by the Managing Partnership (European Commission, European Parliament, Italian Government), the European Commission Representative in Italy, the Tuscany Regional Government. CESUE srl is partner in several Jean Monnet projects by the University of Genova, the University of Rome III and the Scuola Sant'Anna of Pisa. It was partner of a communication project by Granducato Tv financed by the European Parliament DG Comm.
Institution: DIRPOLIS Institute (Law, Politics, Development) of the Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna di Studi Universitari e di Perfezionamento di Pisa
Short description of the responsibilities: Member of the Board of the PhD in Politics, Human Rights and Sustainability; Responsible of the Jean Monnet Network “MoreEU – More Europe to overcome the crisis” (2014-2017), and of the Jean Monnet projects “EUcivic” (2014-2015), and "EUrgencies@Dem - European political unity and democracy: a shared destiny" (2013-2014); of the project "Federalism, Europe and Globalization" [financed by the Centro Studi sul Federalismo (Centre for Studies on Federalism) of Turin], of the LLP project "A scuola di diversità" ("At school of diversity", limited to the partecipation of the della Scuola Sant'Anna) financed by the Tuscany Region on the European Social Fund (2012-2014).
Chronological list of all previous occupations (indicating for each of them, the profession, the initial and final deadline, the employer and the areas of
responsibility and competence) from / to Profession Academic
Institution Field of competence From 7/2011 to 5/2014 Lecturer Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna
Research, training and education.
From 4/2009 To 6/2011
Fellow Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna
Research, Training and Education. Project on "Federalismo e integrazione europea” (Federalism and European Integration) From
10/2005 To 2/2009
Fellow Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna
Research, Training and Education. Project on "Il processo di integrazione europea: identità europea e identità nazionali" (The
process: European identity and national identities ) 1999 Collaborator Fondazione
Piaggio Interviews report to the Presidency of and drafting
the Council on the
functioning of the civil service as an alternative to military service and its possible reform
1. Grant Winner for the Promotion of research of young researchers of CNR in 2004 with a research project on “Il processo di unificazione europea ed i mutamenti delle identità nazionali ed europea. Riflessioni alla luce della teoria della civilizzazione di Norbert Elias". (The European unification process and the changes in national and European identities. Reflections on the basis of Norbert Elias' theory of civilization.)
2. In 1999/2000 the University of Reading exempted me from paying the Registration fee for the Master in European Studies, having been selected as the best candidate, and having been proposed for a scholarship offered by the Economic and Social Research Council.
experiences Universities: Analysis of Political Language (9 Credits), and Philosophical Analysis of Political Thought (9 Credits).
At Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna I taught the course “The European integration process and the evolution of EU governance and decision-making” (18 hours) for the Graduate Program in Transnational Governance students, and 3 hours on methodology within the PhD in Politics, Human Rights and Sustainability students.
- Methodological Module "Introduction to Political Science and International Relations" for PhD in Politics, Human Rights and Sustainability students (12 hours).
- Following prof. Francesco Strazzari leave, I assumed the coordination of the last year of Jean Monnet triennial Module "Debating European Security" in 2012/2013, for the Scuola Sant'Anna. Within the module I taught 11 hours of lesson, of which 5 for the Graduate Program in Transnational Governance students, and 6 for PhD in Politics, Human Rights and Sustainability students.
- Political science module (9 hours)of the course "Concetti e strumenti per le scienze politiche" (Concepts and tools for political sciences) for Political Sciences students (Bachelor) at Scuola Sant'Anna.
- Methodological Module "Introduction to Political Science and International Relations" for PhD in Politics, Human Rights and Sustainability students (6 hours out of 10 of the whole module).
- Within the training project “A scuola di diversità” (At school of diversity) for the schools staff of the Province of Livorno, Lucca, Massa Carrara, Pisa which I am responsible for; I am co-director of the of the postgraduate Specialization Course " A scuola di pluralismo” (At school pluralism) organized together with the University of Pisa. Within the project I taught 60 hours of lessons.
- Within the Jean Monnet project "EUWay - La via europea per uscire dalla crisi: unirsi o perire" (EUWay - Europe's way out of the crisis: unite or perish) I carried out different kind of teaching activities for students and for high school teachers of Tuscany for a total of 54 hours.
- Within the Jean Monnet triennal Module "Debating European Security" for 2011/2012 academic year, I taught6 hours of lessons. - A 21 hours course "I sistemi federali nel mondo" (Federal systems in the world) for Political Sciences students (Bachelor) at Scuola
- 4 hours in the Methodological module "Introduction to Political Science and International Relations" for the PhD in Politics, Human Rights and Sustainability students.
- 2 hours within the course "Teorie delle relazioni internazionali nell’era globale" (I.R. Theory in the global era), taught by prof. Strazzari. - Within the Jean Monnet project "EUGlobal - L'Unione Europea: un progetto e una risorsa per governare la globalizzazione" (EUGlobal - The European Union: a project and a resource for governing globalization), I’ve carried out different kind of teaching activities for students and for the secondary school staff of Tuscany for a total of 88 hours.
- Contract Professor at the Faculty of Political Science "Cesare Alfieri" of the University of Florence, charge with the course "European governance and decision-making" (42 hours, in English).
Summary of the main educational activities: over the years I’ve been teaching for undergraduate and postgraduate students at the Scuola Sant'Anna Pisa, for students of the Master Degree in European and International Relations in the University of Florence e under several training projects targeting the Tuscany school teachers and staff; I’ve also carried out different kind of teaching activities during seminars and conference. My teaching experience concern political language and political thought, the theories of International Relations (with a special focus on realism and its evolution, liberalism , English School, and social constructivism), the methodology of International Relations (with focus on areas and levels of analysis, of methodological pluralism, interdisciplinarity), international systems change (including interpretive categories for the study of long-term processes), the European Union (institutions, decision making processes, CFSP and ESDP), the European integration process (history of the process, analysis of contemporary events, the relationship between European integration and the evolution of the international system at the global level, the sovereign debt crisis), the civilization process (Elias’ theoretical reflection and its inclusion in the framework of International Relations, peace Studies and European Federalism), globalization (origins and political, economic and cultural dynamics) global governance, European federalism, comparative federalism and federal systems in the world, methodological nationalism and cosmopolitanism, intercultural education, diversity management.
supervising PhD level: number of students assisted in the past 5 years, with the subject area: 1 student of International Relations.
Memberships in associations
national and international external activities:
- I have been a reviewer for the European Science Foundation - Humanities and Social Sciences Unit.
- I have been a reviewer for the journal Cooperation and Conflict. - I have been a reviewer for the Ashgate series on Federal Studies.
- Territorial mobilization activities on European issues for the Europe Direct, Province of Pisa, including educational activities at the high schools of the territory, seminars and conferences at the University of Pisa and Sant'Anna School between 2010 and 2013.
- Research and preparation of a report based on international literature about "Il rapporto tra utopia e ideologia nella prospettiva federalista" (The relationship between utopia and ideology in the federalist perspective) for the University of Trento in 2012.
- Implementation of the disseminarion project "The European Union and the crisis", for the Europe Direct of the Province of Pisa in 2012.
- Planning and implementation of a national training day for the Europe Direct information networks in Italy, for the European Commission Representation in Italy, on 20 October 2011.
In the last decade I have organised a vast number of seminars, conferences, workshop, training events for the Scuola Sant’Anna, the Centro Studi sul Federalismo and CesUE. I have also been a speaker at several conferences, workshops, seminars and round tables in Italy and other European countries, and I have participated as an expert on European integration to several radio and TV program in Italy and other countries.
Academic institutions and professional membership (including publisher membership for scientific publications, participation in scientific committees for international conferences):
1. Membership of the Italian Society of Political Science
2. Membership of the European Consortium of Political Research 3. Membership of the University Association for European Studies 4. Membership of the Italian Society of Political Philosophy
5. From 2001 to 2005 I was Director for the quarterly journal Il Dibattito Federalista.
scientific work Over time my research, which began with the study of Kant's Summary of main activities in scientific research: contribution to the theory of federalism, has focused on the development of an interdisciplinary theoretical framework able to combine the analytical core of critically revised versions of political realism, historical materialism, and social constructivism (with a particular reference to the theory of ideology) in order to analyze the interaction and interdependent development of the three fundamental sectors of analysis identified by Gellner: political power and coercion, material production and economy, culture and political legitimacy. This theoretical approach has been used in the study of some specific social processes such as international systems changes and the European integration process. Over time I have also developed a strong research
interest in Norbert Elias' thought and his theory of civilization, which presents some significant similarities with my approach, as well as additional elements that need to be included in it. This first strand of research brought me to focus on the main I.R. theories to identify their analytical core to be included in the pluralistic theoretical framework that I tried to develop; and from a methodological point of view to focus on the interaction between different levels and sectors of analysis and its implications on the theoretical framework.
The second main strand concerns federalism from different points of view related to the federalist thought, the theory and history of European federalism, comparative federalism, the relationship between federalism and democracy, and the use of federalism to make democracy possible in ever larger polities - therefore heterogeneous, divided/divisible on cultural, ethnic, religious, linguistic, basis etc. - and therefore potentially conflicting, and the possible contribution of the federalist reflection to the debate on cosmopolitan democracy.
This strand had as a counterpart the focus on European integration. Together they formed two poles of interest of my research agenda, characterized by an attempt to develop a theoretical framework for the study of the European integration process able of grasp the role of different actors and dynamics, overcoming the one-sidedness of neo-functionalism, intergovernmentalist theories, and naive versions of federalism itself.
To the margin of these main lines are located occasional studies and papers on related themes, as identity, secularism, etc. resulting from teaching and training activities, conferences and collaborations.
This research agenda still awaits to be fully developed, and fits the theme of "democracy and conflict" - which, moreover, is central in many of the essays of the recent volume about Kant and Hamilton I edited for Peter Lang - which I propose to develop paying attention to different levels of analysis (national, regional and global) and their interaction, with reference to the theory of democratic peace and the federalist theory of institutional pacifism, also taking into account Waltz's criticism of second image theories, but also the limits of structural theories, and the inadequacy of the assumption of the state as a unitary and rational actor.
Fellowships, contract and research projects Date Beneficiary of
the grant Institution Financing Title Amount received 9/2014-9/2017 Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna – Roberto Castaldi Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency - European Commission MoreEU – More Europe to overcome the crisis 288.895 € 9/2014-9/2015 Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna – Education, Audiovisual and Culture EUCivic – Empowering European Citizens 60.000 €
Castaldi Executive Agency - European Commission through European Civic Education 9/2013-9/2014 Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna – Roberto Castaldi Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency - European Commission EUrgencies@Dem - European
political unity and
democracy: a shared destiny 60.000 € 7/2011- on-going Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna – Roberto Castaldi Centro Studi sul Federalismo Il federalismo, l'Europa e la globalizzazione (Federalism, Europe and globalization) 49.000 € (in 2011), 53.500 € (in 2012), 49.000 € (in 2013) 2012 Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna – Roberto Castaldi Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna Il Federalismo e l'integrazione europea (Federalism and European integration) 4725,80 € (in 2013) 5319,15 € (in 2012) 9/2012-9/2013 Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna – Stefan Collignon (Roberto Castaldi vice-coordinator) Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency - European Commission EUWay - La via europea per
uscire dalla crisi: unirsi o perire (The European Way out of the crisis: unite or perish) 60.000 € 1/2012-1/2013 Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna – Stefan Collignon (Roberto Castaldi vice-coordinator) Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency - European Commission EUGlobal - L'UE: un progetto e una risorsa per
governare la globalizzazione (The EU: a project and a resource to govern globalization) 60.000 € From 11/2009 to 6/2011 Assegnista di ricerca (Research Fellow) Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna
Research fellow Research, teaching and training duties. Research project on "Federalism and European integration From 10/2005 Assegnista di ricerca Scuola Superiore
Research Fellow Research, teaching and
to 2/2009 and from 4/2009 al 10/2009 (Research
Fellow) Sant'Anna training duties.
Research project on "The European integration process: European identity and national identities" Monographs – Author
1. R. Castaldi, Federalism and material interdependence, Giuffrè, Milano, 2008 (ISBN 8814141363).
2. R. Castaldi, A Federalist Framework Theory of European Integration, Centro Studi sul Federalismo, 2005 (ISBN 9788896871010). This research
was published open access and is available at
http://www.csfederalismo.it/attachments/1360_PP_Castaldi_05.pdf It was downloaded over 2000 times.
3. R. Castaldi, A Contribution to a Theory of International Systems Change, PhD thesis, 2002, published by the Centro Studi sul Federalismo
(ISBN 9788896871003) open acces and is available at
http://www.csfederalismo.it/attachments/1361_PP_Castaldi_02.pdf It was downloaded over 1200 times.
4. R. Castaldi and Giuseppe Martinico, The Never-Ending Reform of the EU: Another Chain in the Semi-Permanent Treaty Reform?, monographic issue of Perspectives on Federalism, Vol. 6, n.3, 2014.
5. R. Castaldi (ed.), Immanuel Kant and Alexander Hamilton, the founders of Federalism, Peter Lang, Bruxelles, 2013. It includes my Introduction. 6. F. Masini e R. Castaldi (eds.), Federalismo. Proposte di riforma della convivenza civile, (Federalism. Proposals to reform civil society) numero monografico della rivista (Monographic issue of the journal) Il Ponte, vol. LXVIII, n. 2-3, Febbraio 2012.
7. G. Martinico e R. Castaldi (eds), Rethinking (EU) Citizenship, monographic issue of Perspectives on Federalism, Vol. 3, n.2, 2011.
8. R. Castaldi, La debolezza del parlamento italiano nell'integrazione europea, (The weakness of the Italian Parliament in the European integration process) in V. Casamassima e A. Frangioni (a cura di), Parlamento e politiche pubbliche nella storia d'Italia. Atti dei seminari organizzati dalla Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna e dalla Scuola Normale Superiore, insieme alla Camera dei deputati ed al Senato della Repubblica, e dalla Domus Mazziniana (titolo provvisorio), Edizioni della Scuola
Normale Superiore, Pisa, forthcoming.
9. R. Castaldi, Integrazione (Teorie della), (Integration (theories of) in Dizionario sull’integrazione europea, a cura di P. Craveri, U. Morelli, G. Quagliarello, Rubbettino, Roma, forthcoming.
10. R. Castaldi, The relations between domestic and international politics, in R. Castaldi (ed.), Immanuel Kant and Alexander Hamilton, the founders of Federalism. A political theory for our time, Peter Lang, Bruxelles, 2013. 11. R. Castaldi, Altiero Spinelli e la teoria delle relazioni internazionali, (Altiero Spinelli and the theory of international relations) in Umberto Morelli (a cura di), Altiero Spinelli: il pensiero e l’azione per la federazione europea, Giuffrè, Milano, 2010.
12. R. Castaldi, La laicità: I rapporti di potere tra Stato, religioni e organizzazioni religiose, (Secularism: the power relationships between the state, religions, and religious organizations) in Barbara Henry, Anna Loretoni, Alberto Pirni (a cura di), Laicità e principio di non discriminazione, Rubbettino, Soveria Mannelli, 2009.
13. R. Castaldi, Altiero Spinelli and European federalism in Ann Ward and Lee Ward (editors), The Ashgate Research Companion to Federalism, Ashgate, Aldershot, 2009, pp. 315-330.
14. R. Castaldi, La creazione della moneta unica ed il significato dell’Euro (The creation of the single currency and the significance of the Euro) in M.Campopiano, L.Gori, G.Martinico, E.Stradella (a cura di), Dialoghi con il Presidente. Scritti in onore di Carlo Azeglio Ciampi. Edizioni della Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa, 2008, pp. 381-394.
15. R. Castaldi, Fundamental Rights, Citizenship and Democracy, in The Emerging European Union. Identity, Citizenship, Rights (a cura di Barbara Henry e Anna Loretoni), Edizioni Ets, Pisa, 2004, pp. 169-176.
Papers in academic journals
16. R. Castaldi, The politicization of the European elections and its potential effects on the EU, in Perspectives on Federalism, Vol. V, n. 3/2013, pp. I-IX.
17. R. Castaldi, Comprendere l'integrazione europea: le sfide contemporanee alla luce del processo storico, (Understanding European integration: current challenges in historical perspective) in ParadoXa, VI, 4, Ottobre/Dicembre 2012, numero monografico su EUtopia, a cura di Vittorio Emanuele Parsi.
18. R. Castaldi, Un'agenda di ricerca sui temi del federalismo, (A research agenda on federalism) in F. Masini e R. Castaldi (a cura di), Federalismo. Proposte di riforma della convivenza civile, numero monografico della rivista Il Ponte, vol. LXVIII, n. 2-3, Febbraio 2012.
19. R. Castaldi, Verso una difesa europea? (Towards a European defense?) in Quaderni del Circolo Rosselli,"Quale Europa e Quale Italia" n.4/2011.
20. R. Castaldi, Towards a Federal Democracy in Europe?, in Perspectives on Federalism, vol. 3, n. 3, 2011.
21. R. Castaldi, The dynamic development of the European Communities (and then Union) and the relationship with EFTA and the Council of Europe, in Perspectives on Federalism, 3/2010, guest editor prof. Dosenrode, direttore del Centre for Comparative Integration Studies dell’Università di Aalborg.
22. R. Castaldi, The Spinelli Group: an engine of the initiatives that Europe needs?, in Perspectives on Federalism, n. 2/2010, pp. I-XIV.
23. R. Castaldi, Europe needs iniziative and leadership to overcome the crisis, in Perspectives on Federalism, n. 1/2010, pp. I-XXIV.
24. R. Castaldi, Attori e tempi del processo di unificazione europea, (Actors and timing of the European integration process) in Il Ponte, anno LXV, n.5, maggio 2009, pp. 50-75.
25. R. Castaldi, How to re-launch the European unification process? in Perspectives on Federalism, Vol. I, Single Issue, 2009, pp. N15-21. 26. U. Morelli and R. Castaldi, Perspectives on Federalism: Why a New Journal?, in Perspectives on Federalism, Vol. I, Single Issue, 2009, pp. I-VI.
27. R. Castaldi, Pace, processo di civilizzazione e unificazione europea, (Peace, civilization process and European integration) in Storia Politica Società, Anno VII, n. 10/11, dicembre 2006-giugno 2007, pp. 177-190. 28. R. Castaldi, Fase politica e fase strategica dei processi di unificazione, in Il Federalista, XLIII, 1, 2001, pp. 70-79.
29. R. Castaldi, The Political Phase and the Strategic Phase of Unification Processes, in The Federalist, XLIII, 1, 2001, pp. 70-78, now also available at http://www.euraction.org/revfiles/1_01.pdf.
30. R. Castaldi, Kant nella rubrica “il federalismo nella storia del pensiero, in Il Federalista, XL, 1, 1998.
31. R. Castaldi, Kant, in The Federalist, XL, 1, 1998, now also available at www.euraction.org/rivfiles/1_98.pdf.
Summaries/Official papers (integralmente o per estratto)
32. Paper on La moneta unica e l'unione politica, (The single currency and political union), presented at the panel on "The single currency and European citizenship" at the Annual Congress of the Italian Society of Political Science, at the Roma III University from 13 to 15 September 2012 and available at the 2012 SISP Congress web-site.
33. Paper pn Lo sviluppo dell'Unione europea e la sua crisi nel contesto globale (The development of the EU and its crisis in the global context), presented at the panel on "Governing political-economic changes in times of crisis: the EU under stress" at the Annual Congress of the Italian Society of Political Science, at the Roma III University from 13 to 15 September 2012 and available at the 2012 SISP Congress web-site. 34. Paper on Il passaggio dal sistema europeo al sistema mondiale e il mutamento delle unità del sistema internazionale, (The shift from the European to the world system and the change of the units of the international system) presented at the panel on "International systems change: the change of the actors and its implications" at the Annual Congress of the Italian Society of Political Science, at the University of Palermo, from 8 to 10 settembre 2011, and available at the 2011 SISP Congress web-site.
1. I have a blog “We Europeans” on L’Espresso, the main Italian weekly,
2. I am editorialist for the network of local Newspapers of L’Espresso Group. My comments on European integration appear frequently on about
15 Newspaper throughout Italy. Furthermore, my comment have occasionally been published by several newspapers such as Il Corriere della Sera, La Repubblica, Europa, L'Unità, La Repubblica Firenze, Il Corriere Fiorentino, La Nazione.
3. An interview on Federalism and Irak, delivered to Mr. Farhad M. Hassan, Deputy editor in chief of Gulan political weekly magazine, was published in July 2008, at www.gulan-media.com.
4. R. Castaldi, La strategia costituente e il referendum europeo, (The constituent strategy and the European referendum) in MFE, Un refendum europeo per la costituzione europea, Atti del XXIII Congresso nazionale, EDIF, Pavia, 2007.
5. R. Castaldi, Pace e Guerra dai classici ai contemporanei, (Peace and war from classics to contemporary authors) recensione al volume di Anna Loretoni, Teorie della pace Teorie della guerra, ETS, Pisa, 2005, in Teoria politica, XXIII, n. 2, 2007.
6. R. Castaldi, A History of World Federalism: Lessons for European and World Federalists, recensione all’opera in due volumi di Joseph Preston Baratta, The Politics of World Federation, Westport, Praeger, 2004 (Vol. I United Nation, Un Reform, Atomic Control. Vol. II From World Federalism to Global Goverance), in The Federalist Debate, XVIII, N. 2, July 2005. 7. R. Castaldi, Crisi dello Stato nazionale e rilancio del processo costituente, (Crisis of the nation-state and re-launch of the constituent process) in Il Dibattito Federalista, XXI, n. 2, 2005.
8. R. Castaldi, recensione al libro di Lucio Levi, Crisi dello Stato e governo del mondo, (Crisis of the state and the governance of the world) in Il Dibattito Federalista, XXI, n. 2, 2005.
9. R. Castaldi, Rilanciare il processo costituente europeo per un’Europa soggetto di pace, (Re-launch the European constituent process for a Europe actor of peace) in ScienzaePace (Rivista del CISP Università di Pisa), I, n. 1, giugno 2005, available at http://scienzaepace.unipi.it. 10. R. Castaldi, L’Unione Europea e la Turchia (The EU and Turkey) in Il Dibattito Federalista, XX, 3, 2004.
11. R. Castaldi, La fase costituente e il ruolo dei federalisti, (The constituent phase and the role of the federalists) in Il Dibattito Federalista, XX, 1, 2004.
12. R. Castaldi, Il rapporto Europa-USA? La vera questione è affrontare i problemi globali, (The Europe-US relationship? The real issue is to tackle global problems) in Il Dibattito Federalista, XIX, 1-2, 2003.
13. R. Castaldi, Recensione del libro di Lucio Levi, Il pensiero federalista (Federalist thought) (Laterza 2002), in Il Dibattito Federalista, XIX, 1-2, 2003.
14. R. Castaldi, Considerazioni sulla strategia e il ruolo del MFE, (Comments on the strategy and role of the European Federalist Movement)in Il Dibattito Federalista, XVIII, 1-2, 2002.
15. R. Castaldi, Riflessioni sul rapporto tra procedura costituente e nucleo federale, (Comments on the relationship between constituent procedure and federal vanguard) in Con il popolo europeo per uno Stato federale europeo. Atti del XX Congresso nazionale del MFE, EDIF, Pavia, 2001. 16. R. Castaldi, L'organizzazione del MFE: il reclutamento e la formazione dei militanti, (The MFE organization: recruiting and training new activists) in MFE, Una Costituzione per gli Stati Uniti d'Europa. Atti del XIX Congresso nazionale, EDIF, Pavia, 1999.
Assembly Strategy in The Federalist Debate, X, 3, 1997.
Presentations within scientific conferences in the last 3 years (invited or selected, speaker, nature and status of the conference).
Beside the conferences which I have organised or promoted (already mentioned), and those in which I presented papers that were published in the conference web-site (already mentioned), I participated as an invited speaker to the following scientific initiatives:
1. Summer School on Parliamentary Democracy in Europe, organized bythe School of Government of the LUISS University of Roma, In co-operation with CESP-Centro di studi sul Parlamento, Fondazione CEUR, IPSA-International Political Science Association, Nova Universitas, Sciences Po-Centre d'études européennes, University of Macerata – Department of Law (I was a Discussant).
2. Conference L'Europa in bilico: la scienza politica italiana di fronte alle attuali sfide, (Europe hangs in the balance: the Italian political science in the face of current challenges,) organized by the University of Florence on May 8 2013 within the second edition of the Festival of Europe.
3. Conference La scuola di fronte al "male assoluto": spiegare la Shoa, (The school in front of "absolute evil": explaining the Shoa) organized by the Ministry of Education, University and Research, Tuscany Regional Office, in Florence on 17 April 2013.
4. Conference La scuola si interroga sull'Europa, (The school questions Europe) organized by the Ministry of Education, University and Research, Tuscany Regional Office, in Florence on 7 March 2013.
5. Seminar Verso una riforma del Trattato di Lisbona, (Towards a reform of the Lisbon Treaty) organized in Turin on 8 March 2013 by the Foundation Centro Studi sul Federalismo with the Istituto Affari Internazionali and Notre Europe.
6. Conference The EU and the World: challenges and trends, organized by the University of Florence on 31 May 2012 (I chaired a session).
7. Workshop " Facing the Economic Crisis", organized by the Centro de Estudios Politicos y Constitucionales in Madrid, on 16 January 2012. 8. Guest speaker at the Research seminar of the Centro de Estudios Politicos y Constitucionales in Madrid, on 15 January 2012, where I presented the paper Towards a federal democracy in Europe?.
9. Seminar Parlamento ed Europa nella storia d'Italia, (Parliament and Europe in Italian history) organized by the Scuola Normale Superiore and the Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna with the Italian Senate and Chamber of Deputies on 13 May 2011 in Pisa.
Spin-offs, patents and other entreprenurial activities.
Founder (Gennaio 2013), owner of 45% of the quotas, Administrator and Director of the area Research and Development of the Centro Studi, formazione, comunicazione e progettazione sull'Unione Europea e la global governance s.r.l. or International Centre for European and
Global Governance Ltd (CESUE s.r.l.), spin-off company of the Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna of Pisa. CESUE s.r.l. is a new company, currently in charge of organising three European Awareness Days (a new format to communicate Europe we developed) in Naples (November 15), Rome (December 10) and Milan (January 24) for the Managing Partnership (European Commission, European Parliament, Italian Government). CESUE srl is partner in some Jean Monnet projects of the University of Genova and the Scuola Sant'Anna of Pisa. Furthermore, it is negotiating with the Italian government a series of initiatives in view of the European elections and the Italian presidency of the EU.
Oral and written knowledge of every language, according to the levels of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) to enclose linguistic certification, if available.
Italian: Mother Tongue
Launguage Hearing Reading Interaction Speaking
English C2 C2 C1 C1 C2
French B1 B2-C1 A2-B1 A2 A1
Polish A2-B1 A2 A2 A2 A1
I do not have specific language certification, but I completed the International Baccalaureate Diploma (in English) - which is the title of access to British and American universities without the need for other language certification - and a Master of Arts in European Studies at the Graduate School of European and International Studies at the Universities of Reading. I have taught and published in English extensively.