POLICE STAFF JOB DESCRIPTIONSECTION 1
REPORTS TO (POST TITLE)
Development Lead WORK LOCATION Flexible REF NO: R228/20 GRADE 7 SECTION TWO JOB PURPOSE
To design, develop, build, test, implement, administer, support and maintain enterprise scale in-house built applications and innovative software solutions, in accordance with agreed standards and to assist in providing a strategic coordination of these technologies within the general ICT environment across Police Scotland and the SPA.
To develop, maintain and support the Police Scotland website and Police Scotland/SPA Intranet sites.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provide technical expertise in respect of the design, development, programming, build, test, implementation, administration, support,
maintenance and documentation of new & existing in-house built applications and innovative software solutions including the Police Scotland website and Police Scotland/SPA Intranet sites.
2. Where required, undertake a technical lead role on relevant projects and initiatives, including creation/maintenance of project plans. Provide relevant technical advice/guidance to other members of the team and to customers within the Scottish Police Service and wider Criminal Justice community. 3. Operate proactively within an environment of closely managed projects
providing regular task updates and supporting project management processes.
4. Provide support for in-house built applications, including the Police Scotland website and Police Scotland/SPA Intranet sites, ensuring that relevant applications are fully functional, are meeting the business requirement and that all associated Service Level Agreements are being met.
5. Undertake analysis and documentation of business requirements in order to produce functional specifications and other dependent technical
6. Analyse requests for change to in-house built applications, including the Police Scotland website and Police Scotland/SPA Intranet sites, in order to assess nature and extent of change and estimate development timescales. 7. Ensure and maintain up-to-date knowledge of industry trends, technology
standards and emerging technologies including mobile technology. 8. Develop detailed system specifications based on business requirements. 9. Undertake deployment and configuration of enterprise scale in-house built
applications and innovative solutions including the Police Scotland website and Police Scotland/SPA Intranet sites to live environment.
10. Adherence to control quality assurance processes including development and testing standards. Contribute to the maintenance of software
development standards, ensuring data integrity and data security across the application estate.
11. Provide a breadth of technical knowledge that covers the specialisms of the Development Section’s function.
12. Provide relevant technical advice, guidance and mentoring to other team members, as required.
13. Support relevant enterprise scale in-house built applications and innovative solutions including the Police Scotland website and Police Scotland/SPA Intranet sites through their lifecycle of testing, deployment, operation, user training, maintenance, and enhancement.
14. Participate in quality reviews, constantly striving to improve working practices. 15. Assist in advising management in respect of software development strategy,
including input on software development tools, design and product standards.
16. Keep abreast of data protection, freedom of information and local/national security policies and ensure that such policies are adhered to.
17. Provide support to Trainees and Student Placements within the Applications and Development unit, supporting activities to help them to expand their skills and experience within the organisation.
18. Commensurate with the accountabilities, responsibilities and pay band of the job description:
a. To assist with the development of a research work programme arising from the Innovation Hub
b. To assist with work programme implementations arising from the ICT Strategy, Blue Print, Corporate Strategy and Futures Portfolio, in particular the remit of the Innovation Hub Research Committee. c. To support and assist the work within the Innovation Hub for research
and development in their area of skills and expertise.
19. Will be responsible for assessing and self-managing risk within all aspects of the role.
The above accountabilities and responsibilities are not exhaustive, and the Jobholder may be required to undertake additional duties that are consistent with the level and grading of the role.
LOCATION: Flexible GRADE: 7
ATTRIBUTES : ESSENTIAL : DESIRABLE :
ATTAINMENTS Knowledge and experience
of enterprise scale software development principles and practices
Knowledge and experience of software development principles and practices Experience of designing, developing, testing, implementing and
supporting enterprise scale applications and innovative solutions, spanning multiple sites.
Technical experience of developing enterprise scale
Knowledge and experience of Microsoft Sharepoint
development and administration
Knowledge and experience of front end (UI) design and development, using technologies such as BootStrap, JQuery & CSS Understanding of ITIL Service Management principles
Experience of relational database design,
development and support in a heterogeneous environment.
applications, in two or more of the following
Experienced in working across the live IT operating environment for enterprise scale applications.
Experience of deploying and implementing enterprise scale in-house developed applications / software
solutions and troubleshooting in a multi-site environment. Experience of designing, developing, testing,
implementing and supporting public facing websites and internal intranet sites.
Knowledge of data protection legislation and information security protocols.
EDUCATIONAL / OCCUPATIONAL
Degree in related computer science or software
engineering discipline and relevant commercial experience OR Where no formal educational experience extensive relevant commercial experience is required PERSONAL QUALITIES Excellent interpersonal, communication, analytical and problem solving skills. Strong prioritisation and organisational skills, customer focussed. Ability to work on own initiative with limited supervision.
Ability to work under
Experienced in working with in-house built enterprise systems which are spread across a multi-site physical and operational environment.
pressure as part of a team. Proven skills related to:
o Team-working o Working with customers to elicit and define requirement specifications Proven experience in a technical role related to enterprise scale software development techniques and technologies.
Strong analytical skills Capable of communicating effectively with both a Technical and non-Technical audiences. Ability to use own initiative and deal with a varied programme of work.
An understanding of how existing and developing
government legislation affects the storage, use and transfer of data in ICT systems.
A DRIVING LICENCE IS:
ANY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS PERTINENT TO THE POST: No
This full time post is permanent and requires Management Vetting and Security Clearance. You will work 35 hours per week Monday- Friday 9am – 5pm.
The following essential level competencies will be used for the selection process: 1 Respect for Diversity
2 Service Delivery 3 Personal Effectiveness 4 Effective Communication 5 Team Working 6 Problem Solving 7 Job Knowledge