Dnata Airport Operations, the ground handling agent at the Dubai International Airport and employer of more than 6,500 people, has played a significant and leading role in the
development of Dubai International Airport, now ranked as the fourth busiest airport in the world in terms of international passenger traffic and the fifth busiest for international cargo.
Passenger and cargo traffic at Dubai International Airport continues to grow rapidly year upon year. In 2009/10, Dnata handled more than 42 million passengers and 1.9 million tonnes of cargo, to the satisfaction of 135 customer airlines.
Dnata’s goal is to be the best ground handler in the world and in line with this, they started 2009 with a complete restructure, moving from a location-based organisation to a function based organisation. This was a defining initiative and enabled Airport Operations to grow, improving both productivity and profitability.
1. AIRLINE SERVICES
Customer Services - committed to providing high quality customer service
Customer Services play a leading role in customer care at Dubai International Airport and is critical to the functions of Dnata's ground handling operations. More than 1,200 professionally trained staff ensure the smooth handling of passengers from check-in to boarding and from disembarkation to baggage collection.
• Dnata’s state-of-the-art check-in systems, DMACS, enable fast and efficient check-in for carriers together with world-class customer service.
• Dnata air-side and transfer-desk staff provides customer assistance within all the three terminals for efficient turnaround of transfer passengers, helping to ensure maintenance of on-time departures for flights 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
• Our personnel are trained to offer assistance to passengers with special needs, including unaccompanied minors and passengers with reduced mobility (PRMs).
• Dnata look after more than 330,000 passengers with reduced mobility every year.
• A baggage storage facility is available for transit passengers who wish to store their bags while in transit.
Ramp services - meeting and exceeding customer requirements
Whatever the size of the aircraft - narrow-bodied, wide-bodied, freighter, VIP or military –
Ramp Services will handle it with efficiency, ensuring safe and timely departures.
Safety forms the backbone of Dnata’s operations and every member of the 2,000 strong
workforce is highly trained and well-versed in safety procedures before operating equipment or performing tasks in or near the aircraft. They are also supported by a fleet of over 3,880 vehicles and handled the world’s first commercial A380 flight.
Services offered include:
• Aircraft loading: loading and unloading of all types of aircraft coming into Dubai, including the transportation of baggage, cargo and mail to and from the aircraft.
• ULD Logistics: providing management and provision of all Unit Loading Device stocks.
• Technical Support: providing a wide range of equipment support including aircraft pushback and towing, ground power, air-conditioning, pneumatic air start, toilet and water servicing and aircraft mechanics.
Operations - safe and on-time co-ordination of aircraft movements
Dnata Operations staff ensure the safe and efficient ground handling co-ordination and passenger transportation at airports around the world. Responsible for monitoring the arrival and departure schedules of our customers and the coordination of all turnaround activities, they are committed to maintaining the integrity of airline schedules.
In Dubai, Dnata Operations Control Centre (DOCC) maintains an overview of all ground handling activities. They also manage emergency and incident situations, (including weather disruptions), should they occur, with minimal disruption to the rest of the airport operations.
Baggage Services - Ensuring the safe and timely handling of passenger baggage
In Dubai alone over 2,000 Dnata Baggage Services employees ensure that the baggage of all airline customers reaches its intended destination in a safe and timely manner.
In 2009-10, Baggage Services processed in excess of 37.2 million arrival and departure bags.
Baggage is a 24 hour non-stop operation, relying on 92km of baggage tracks (in Terminal 1 and 3), 220 motor vehicles, 2,500 baggage carts and dollies, plus 2,300 containers to service the needs of Dubai’s passengers.
On average, over 100,000 pieces of luggage are handled on a daily basis. With the help of ultra modern baggage handling and security technology, Dnata baggage handling efficiently processes departing, arriving and transfer baggage within minimum timeframes.
In July 2010 the Dnata Baggage Hub Control (BHC) Centre was opened in Terminal 3. This
facility monitors baggage across all three terminals, and is staffed by a joint Dnata / Emirates
team. The BHC Centre delivers bags on time and ensures compliance to all baggage quality
standards including punctuality.
Terminal 2 - Friendly, efficient and personal services
Terminal 2 operations, also referred as the North terminal, deliver complete services for efficient aircraft turn-around. During 2009-10 Terminal 2 handled more than 3.5 million passengers with over 13 % growth as compared to the previous year.
Flydubai has based its operations from Terminal 2 since its inception in June 2009 and is growing at a rapid pace.
Terminal 2 consists of the following key sections:
Ramp Services: Responsible for carrying out the loading/ unloading activities and also provide the ground support equipment for below the wing servicing and the services to all passenger, freighter & FLC carriers.
Customer Services: Responsible for providing services to the airlines and its customers through the following activities: Check-in, Flight Management Unit, Boarding, Transfer Area and Special Handling.
Baggage Services: Responsible for ensuring the baggage on-time delivery to customers and assisting in case of any anomalies as per customer airline procedures.
2. BUSINESS SUPPORT
Dnata’s quality culture - believing and delivering safety and quality
Safety and quality are inherent aspects of the Dnata Airport Operations ethos. Dnata’s drive for safety and quality is evident in the numerous accreditations received over the years which include:
• ISO9001: 2000 Quality Management System in 2000.
• ISO14001: 2004 Environmental Management System in 2004.
• AHS1000, an industry standard for service delivery in ground handling in 2003.
• IATA AHM 804 System for Performance Measurement of Service Delivery Standards in 2003.
• Ground Handling International Ramp Safety Award for Middle East and Asia in 2005.
• Ground Handling Provider of the Year, Middle East – ITP Aviation Business Awards 2007.
• OHSAS18001: 1999 Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Series in 2008.
• ISAGO standard achieved 2008, Dnata was the first company to be audited worldwide and recertification was again achieved in May 2010.
Established in 1991, Dnata Training started as a ramp safety briefing to increase awareness about
safety and prevention of ramp accidents. Today, it has evolved into one of the leading ground
handling training providers both regionally and internationally, servicing a wide range of internal
and external clients including Dnata Airport Operations, Emirates Engineering, Sky Cargo,
Dnata Cargo Operations, Transguard, Presidential Flight Abu Dhabi, Djibouti International Airport, Royal Flight Oman, Jet Aviation - Dubai, Dulsco, Max Care and overseas Dnata joint ventures.
Consisting of 40 industry-qualified training and development professionals, Dnata Training offers specialised courses in the areas of ground support equipment, aircraft servicing, aircraft appearance, cargo and warehouse equipment, ramp training, dispatch training, basic driving skills, English language training and functional training. All courses have been designed by Dnata Training to comply with IATA and each curriculum is benchmarked against ISAGO standards. Training materials are designed using accelerated learning techniques with a combination of classroom, e-learning and on-the-job training.
Dnata Training offers a learner-centric environment with facilities that include well-equipped classroom facilities and dedicated areas for various types of static mock-up simulations to further provide realistic, hands on, practical training for ground support equipment. The delivery of a next generation Aircraft Pushback Simulator will soon be installed, which will be the first of its type in the region and in the world.
Resource Planning and Business Improvement Services
In addition to the main services offered, clients can access resource planning and business improvement teams, who specialise in providing optimised solutions to resourcing and productivity requirements.
Resource planning services:
• Develop annual resource plans.
• Maintain and update engagement standards used for resource calculations in consultation with line departments.
• Develop master roster plans, tailored specifically to operational requirements of a business, for implementation by the client.
• Manage budgeting processes for annual manpower requirements.
Business improvement services:
• Review business processes to reduce variation and wastage.
• Develop and maintain a comprehensive business performance monitoring program.
• Derive business intelligence from various information systems and manual sources.
• Implement a strong governance model for the implementation of IT systems.
• Assist the Line Departments in various projects as required.
3. COMMERCIAL AND BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT Regional Account Management
The Regional Account Management programme is an innovative approach to customer care and
satisfaction, where a senior member of the Dnata Airport Operations management team is
dedicated to customer airlines as the Regional Account Manager. The initiative ensures
continuous improvement in overall handling standards by encouraging dialogue and feedback
from customers on the services provided.
All employees, having been exposed to the quality policy through seminars, are encouraged to think and practice quality.
The company’s corporate promise “Rest Assured” aptly articulates Dnata’s expertise, experience and unwavering focus on delivering the best to its customers.
Established in 1991, Marhaba is a premium ‘meet and assist’ service provided at Dubai International Airport available for both arriving and departing passengers travelling with any airline, all classes of travel.
Comprising over 300 staff of various nationalities, Marhaba handles over half a million
customers per year with packages for every type of traveller – tourists, families, VIP passengers and corporate business clients.
Marhaba Services include;
Meet and Greet for Individual, Family and VIPs
• A Marhaba representative provides speedy clearance through the departure and arrival formalities and can arrange visa collection and delivery on behalf of the Department of Naturalisation and Residency.
• Customers who opt for this service enjoy additional facilities, such as Marhaba Lounge access and porterage.
• Offering assistance especially for families through arrival or departure facilities.
• One-on-one assistance through all formalities at arrivals including complimentary Marhaba lounge on departure from Dubai.
• Assistance for passengers transiting through Dubai International Airport CityStop
• Passengers in transit for more than eight hours can visit Dubai with the CityStop package.
This service provides a 96-hour visa, hotel accommodation, ground transfers and the Marhaba ‘Meet and Greet’ service on departure.
• The Marhaba Lounge in Terminals 1 and 3 are open to all passengers, 24 hours a day,
365 days a year, regardless of class of travel. They are equipped with all the comforts of a
premium class lounge, and offer passengers a spacious area in which to relax.
• Provide visa collection and delivery functions on behalf of the department of Naturalisation and Residency on arrival at Dubai International Airport.
• Available for travellers who require individual assistance with their baggage from the aircraft to arrivals.
More information about Marhaba products and promotions can be obtained from the website:
www.marhabaservices.com . Services can be booked online at www.dnata.com, at any Dnata Travel outlet, or at the Marhaba Sales Counter at Dubai International Airport.
4. GROUND SUPPORT EQUIPMENT SERVICES (GSE)
The Ground Support Equipment (GSE) department provide comprehensive maintenance and repair services to all ground service equipment and vehicles owned by Dnata Airport Operations.
Maintenance support is undertaken 24/7 on a large variety of equipment including main-deck loaders, lower-deck loaders, passenger-aid vehicles, mobile baggage conveyors, passenger steps, air-conditioning trucks, air-start units, ground power units, push-back tractors, baggage-tow tractors and a fleet of support passenger vehicles used for load control and dispatch.
GSE maintains vehicles and equipment belonging to Dnata Cargo Operations, Emirates Flight Catering, Emirates Engineering, Emirates Airport Services, Baggage Handling System at New EGHQ and other airlines on request.
Another responsibility of this department is the assembly and repair of the Unit Load Device (ULD) of Emirates Airlines, in addition to maintenance of the state-of-the-art, automated material handling equipment, across all cargo terminals.
5. DUBAI WORLD CENTRAL AIRPORT – Al Maktoum International Airport
Dnata Airport Operations will offer ground handling services at the new Dubai World Central-Al Maktoum International Airport which opened for cargo operations in June 2010. Phase 1 of the airport features one 4,500m runway (A380 capable), 64 remote stands, one cargo terminal with annual capacity for 250,000 tonnes of cargo and a passenger terminal building designed to accommodate five million passengers per year.
When completed, Dubai World Central-Al Maktoum International will be the largest airport in the world with five runways, four terminal buildings and capacity for 160 million passengers and 12 million tonnes of cargo. The facility opens initially for cargo carriers, with passenger
operations currently slated to start at the end of March 2011 in concert with the IATA schedule change. – ends