Collection no. 520/2012 Decree prot. n. 22241/V/1 RE: COMPARATIVE EVALUATION PROCEDURE TO COVER 2 POSITIONS OF ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR AT THE UNIVERSITÀ DEGLI STUDI DI BERGAMO.
THE RECTOR With reference to the following laws and regulations:
- Italian Law no. 240 dated 30th December 2010 bearing “Provisions concerning the organization of Universities, academic personnel and recruitment, as well as authorization to the Government in order to enhance the quality and efficiency of the university system and, in particular, art. 18, paragraph 1 which governs the convocation of full and associate professors;
- The University’s Regulations issued with Rector’s decree Coll. 505/2012 prot. 21764/I/3 dated 6th November 2012, which govern the comparative evaluation procedures for the convocation of full and associate professors, pursuant to art. 18, paragraph 1 of Italian Law 240/2010;
- Italian M.D. no. 236 dated 2nd May 2011, which governs the correspondence tables between Italian and foreign academic positions, pursuant to art. 18, paragraph 1 letter b);
- The University’s Code of Ethics, issued with Rector’s decree prot. no. 14405/I/3 dated 19th July 2011;
- The regulations in force which govern the juridical and economic status of teaching and research personnel of the Universities;
- Italian Law no. 241 dated 7th August 1990, concerning new rules for access to administrative documents as subsequently amended;
- Italian Legislative Decree 198/2006 “Code on equal opportunities between men and women, according to article 6 of Italian Law no. 246 dated 28th November 2005; - Italian Law no. 104 dated 5th February 1992, which governs the assistance, social
integration and rights of the handicapped as subsequently amended;
- Italian D.P.R. no. 487 dated 9th May 1994 as subsequently amended, which governs access to public jobs;
- Italian Legislative Decree no. 196 dated 30th June 2003, Code on the protection of personal data;
- Italian D.P.R. no. 445 dated 28th December 2000, Consolidated text of legislative and regulatory provisions on the subject of administrative documentation;
- Italian Law no. 106 dated 15th April 2004 Provisions concerning the legal filing of documents of cultural interest intended for public use;
- Italian D.P.R. no. 252 dated 3rd May 2006 Regulations bearing provisions on the subject of the legal filing of documents of cultural interest intended for public use; Having acknowledged that the resolutions adopted by the Academic Senate on 29th
October 2012 and by the Board of Directors on 30th October 2012 approved the allocation of 1.40 workforce points of the extraordinary plan for the convocation of associate professors in order to cover the following positions
HEREBY DECREES Art. 1
An announcement is made for a comparative evaluation procedure in order to cover the following positions of university associate professor at the Università degli Studi di Bergamo:
- SDS ICAR/09 Construction techniques at the Engineering Department; - SDS IUS/18 Roman Law and ancient laws at the Law Department.
The announcement and relevant annexes can be found on the University’s website, in the section “Announcements and competitions” (“Bandi e concorsi”) handled by the Ufficio Gestione Procedure Concorsuali e Selezioni (Office for Competition and Selection Procedures).
This Rector’s decree is published on the University’s website, in the section “University Notice Board” (“Albo di Ateneo”).
Bergamo, 9th November 2012
THE RECTOR (Prof. Stefano Paleari)
Art. 1 – Announcement for comparative evaluation procedures
An announcement is made for comparative evaluation procedures to cover two associate professor positions, by means of a convocation, pursuant to art. 18, paragraph 1 of Italian Law 240/2010 and to the relevant University Regulations for governing the convocation procedure for full and associate professors.
Engineering Department No. of POSITIONS: 1
COMPETITION SECTOR: 08/B3 Construction techniques
SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR: ICAR/09 Construction techniques
The position requires experience in scientific activities aimed at the recovery of masonry and wooden structures, with special consideration for aspects concerning structural behaviour and design applications. The command of both experimental and theoretical and numerical modelling techniques is especially appreciated. With regards to the teaching activity, the applicant is required to have gained experience in the area of Structural Recovery and of Construction Techniques.
COMMITMENT: FULL TIME
WORKPLACE Engineering Department Maximum number of publications: 12
Law Department No. of POSITIONS: 1
COMPETITION SECTOR: 12H/1 Roman law and ancient laws SCIENTIFIC DISCIPLINARY SECTOR: IUS/18 Roman law and ancient laws
In connection with the needs of the Department associated with the diversification of the teachings, variety in research activity is requested, specifically regarding Greek, Hellenistic and Roman law, with a focus on the latter’s historical evolution and its developments during the Byzantine period. Plurality and continuity of teaching experiences, especially with regards to the teaching of the institutions of Roman law and of the Foundations of European law. Participation in research projects. Participation in editorial committees and in magazines committees.
COMMITMENT: FULL TIME WORKPLACE Law Department
Art. 2 – Requirements for participating in the selection The following individuals can participate in the selection:
a) applicants who have obtained the qualification of associate professor pursuant to Italian Law no. 210/1998, limited to its validity period:
b) associate professors already teaching in other Universities at the time Italian Law 240/2010 went into effect;
c) scholars stably engaged abroad in research or teaching activities at the university level in a position that is at the same level as the one covered by the announcement, based on the correspondence tables defined by Italian M.D. no. 236 of 2nd May 2011.
Individuals with family or kinship relationship, up to and including the fourth degree, with a professor belonging to the Department that is making the convocation or with the Rector, with the General Director or with a member of the University’s Board of Directors are not allowed to participate in the convocation procedure.
The applicants must possess the admission requirements as of the expiration date of the term established for submitting the application.
Art. 3 – Application form and publications
Applicants must submit the application drawn up on specific Form “A” for Italian applicants or Form “B” for foreign applicants, enclosed with this announcement (also available at http://www.unibg.it/struttura/struttura.asp?cerca=bandi_ufficio).
The application shall contain the following information, otherwise it will be excluded from the comparative evaluation:
- Surname, name, date and place of birth; - Tax Code;
- The Department and competition sector to which the applicant is asking to be admitted.
Applicants who wish to participate in the comparative evaluation for multiple competition sectors must submit separate application forms and annexes, if any, for each sector.
The application must also contain the following statements, for which the applicants shall be held responsible:
1) the citizenship;
2) to have had no criminal convictions, otherwise listing any prior convictions, indicating the details of the relevant sentences, and any criminal proceedings underway;
3) to be registered in electoral lists, indicating the Municipality and, if necessary, the reasons for not being registered or for having been removed from such lists;
4) to have not been removed from the job at a Public Administration for persistent insufficient performance and to not have been declared dismissed from a state job, pursuant to art. 127, letter d), of Italian D.P.R. no. 3 of 10th January 1957;
For foreign applicants only:
a) to enjoy the civil and political rights in the nation of which they are a citizen (or in the nation of origin) or the reasons for their failure to do so;
b) to possess adequate knowledge of the Italian language; 5) to belong to one of the following categories:
- applicants who have obtained the qualification of associate professor pursuant to Italian Law no. 210/1998, limited to its validity period;
- associate professors already teaching in other Universities at the time Italian Law 240/2010 went into effect;
- scholars stably engaged abroad in research or teaching activities at the university level in a position that is at the same level as the one covered by the announcement, based on the correspondence tables defined by Italian M.D. no. 236 of 2nd May 2011;
6) to have no family or kinship relationship, up to and including the fourth degree, with a professor belonging to the Department that is making the convocation or with the Rector, with the General Director or with a member of the University’s Board of Directors.
The following documents shall be enclosed with the application form: a) Photocopy of a valid identification document;
b) Photocopy of the tax code;
c) Dated and signed curriculum vitae of one’s teaching and scientific activities;
d) Publications and works which the applicant submits for consideration for purposes of the procedure, as specifically indicated in the announcement, and relevant list; e) Any pro-veritate letters of presentation (a maximum of three) concerning the
applicant’s scientific activity written by Italian or foreign experts extraneous to the Università degli Studi di Bergamo.
Any change in the applicants’ addresses must be promptly notified to the Ufficio Procedure Concorsuali e Selezioni (Office for Competition and Selection Procedures).
The University’s Administration shall not be responsible in case the applicant is untraceable and for the loss of communications caused by improper indication of the address by the applicant or by failure or delay by the applicant to communicate any changes to the address specified in the application. Moreover, the University’s Administration shall not be responsible for the non-delivery or late delivery of the communications pertaining to the announcement for causes not ascribable to the Administration itself, but rather to postal or telegraphic problems or delays, to third-party actions, to fortuitous circumstances or force majeure events.
The Administration reserves itself the right to proceed with suitable checks on the truthfulness of the contents of substitute declarations.
Certificates issued by the pertinent authorities of the nation of which the foreigner is a citizen shall comply with the provisions in force in that very same nation, and must also be authenticated by the pertinent Italian Consular authorities.
For deeds and documents written in a foreign language, a translation into the Italian language, certified as conforming to the foreign text and authenticated by the pertinent Italian diplomatic or consular representative, shall be enclosed.
Applicants may submit original publications, true copies or submit an affidavit stating they are aware of the fact that the publication copies are true copies pursuant to art. 47 of Italian D.P.R. 445/2000 (Annex C).
For works printed abroad, the publication date and place must be specified. For works printed in Italy prior to 1st September 2006, the obligations set forth in art. 1 of Lieutenant’s Legislative Decree no. 660 of 31st August 1945 must be fulfilled:
“All printers shall be required to delivery, for any publication or printed matter whatsoever, four copies to the Prefecture of the Province where the printing shop is located, and one copy to the local Public Prosecutor’s Office”. From the date of 2nd September 2006 onward, the obligations set forth in Italian Law 106/2006 and in Italian D.P.R. 252/2006 must be fulfilled.
The publications must be produced in the original language and translated into one of the following languages: Italian, Latin, French, English, German and Spanish. The translated texts may be submitted in typewritten copies along with the printed text in the original language.
For comparative evaluation procedures concerning linguistic subjects, the presentation of publications published in the language or in one of the languages for which the competition is announced is allowed, even if different from the languages specified in the previous paragraph.
Applicants who wish to participate in multiple comparative evaluation procedures must submit to the competition office as many publication packages, with annexed list, as the number of comparative evaluation procedures for which they are applying.
Art. 4 – Methods for presenting the application form and the publications The application form, duly signed, may be submitted according to the following methods:
- Delivery by hand to the U.O “Gestione Procedure Concorsuali e Selezioni” (Office for Competition and Selection Procedures) located at the address of Via Dei Caniana, 2 in Bergamo; to this purpose, the office will be open on the following days and times:
from Monday to Friday, from 9:00 am until Noon, and on Mondays and Tuesdays from 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm;
- by means of registered letter with return receipt sent to the U.O “Gestione Procedure Concorsuali e Selezioni” (Office for Competition and Selection Procedures) located at the address of Via Dei Caniana, 2 24127 Bergamo; date as postmark;
- by means of certified electronic mail to the following certified e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org. The validity of the transmission and receipt of the certified e-mail message is confirmed, respectively, by the acceptance receipt and by the delivery receipt. The application and any annexed documents must be signed and accompanied by a scanned copy of the applicant’s identification document with his/her digital signature, or sent in an non-editable format (.pdf or .tif) duly signed and accompanied by a scanned copy of the applicant’s identification document.
The return receipt is sent automatically by the PEC manager. The deadline is 20th December 2012, on penalty of disqualification.
The publications which the applicants submit for consideration for purposes of the comparative evaluation, accompanied by the relevant signed list, must be submitted with special package by registered mail, or delivered by hand to the U.O. Gestione Procedure
Concorsuali e Selezioni (Office for Competition and Selection Procedures), located at the address of Via dei Caniana, 2 24127 Bergamo by 20th December 2012, on penalty of disqualification.
Art. 5 – Exclusion from the comparative evaluation The following reasons may be cause for exclusion:
- failure to sign the documents;
- lack of the participation requirements set forth in art. 2;
- failure to comply with the deadline for submitting the application form and the publications;
- sending of a number of publications in excess of the number indicated in art. 1. Applicants may be admitted with reserve in case additional information needs to be obtained.
Exclusion due to lack of requirements is ordered by means of justified decree issued by the Rector and notified to the excluded applicants.
Art. 6 – Selection Committee
A Selection Committee shall be set up for each one of the competition sectors. The Selection Committee is appointed by the Rector, upon designation of the Board of the Department concerned, within two months following the deadline for submitting the applications. The members of the Committee are made known through the publication on the University’s website of the Rector’s Decree for the appointment of said Committee. A term of ten days shall start from the aforementioned publication date within which applicants shall be allowed to challenge the committee members.
The Committee shall consist of a number from three to five full professors or equivalent position, belonging to the same competition sector or macro sector. The majority of the Committee members shall consist of individuals from outside the Università degli Studi di Bergamo, to be selected among professors of international and/or national renown or of scientific prestige, belonging to other Italian or foreign Universities. The concerned Department shall be entirely responsible for establishing the actual number of members, also depending on the specific nature of the disciplinary sector.
The Committee shall appoint a Chairman and a Secretary in charge of drawing up the minutes of the meetings.
The Committee shall function collegially, adopting resolutions with the absolute majority, also availing itself of electronic instruments.
Professors who obtained a negative evaluation cannot be members of the Committee, pursuant to paragraph 7 of art. 6 of Italian Law no. 240/2010.
Professors engaged in the Qualifying Committees are also barred from becoming members of the Committee, pursuant to art 16, paragraph 3 letter l), of Italian Law 240/2010.
The Committees draw up a ranking, selecting the applicant or, in case of multiple positions to be covered, the applicants who are more qualified to carry out the teaching-scientific tasks for which the announcement was made, through a comparative evaluation carried out on the basis of the applicants’ scientific publications, curriculum vitae and teaching activity.
The evaluation is performed based on criteria established beforehand by the Committee and with reference to additional teaching and scientific qualifying elements indicated by the Department and deemed necessary for the position to be covered.
Such criteria shall be established in compliance with the standards referred to in art. 24, paragraph 5 of Italian Law no. 240/2010, as:
a) originality, innovation, methodological rigor and significance of each publication;
b) consistency of each publication with the position of Associate professor to be covered or with the inter-disciplinary topics strictly related to such position;
c) scientific relevance of the publishing location of each publication and of its diffusion within the scientific community;
d) analytical determination, also based on criteria acknowledged by the reference international scientific community, of the researcher’s individual contribution in case of participation in collaboration jobs;
e) within the sectors in which there is consistent use at the international level, universities also avail themselves of the following indicators, referred to the date on which the evaluation begins:
1) total number of quotes;
2) average number of quotes per publication; 3) total “impact factor”;
4) average “impact factor” per publication;
5) combinations of the previous parameters aimed at enhancing the impact of the applicant’s scientific production (Hirsch index or similar).
At the end of the jobs, the Committee shall draw up a ranking based on merits and announce the winner or winners by means of resolution adopted by a majority of its members.
Art. 8 – Jobs carried out by the Committee
The Committee shall complete its duties after four months from the date of the Rector’s appointing decree.
The Rector shall extend only once and for a period of less than two months the deadline for the end of the selection, for justified reasons reported by the Committee’s Chairman.
Should the term for completion of the jobs expire without the proper documentation being submitted, the Rector shall arrange for terminating the Committee and appointing a new one in its place.
Should the Rector come across irregularities in the performance of the selection procedure, he shall return the documentation to the Committee by means of a justified measure, assigning it a deadline for making any changes to it.
The documentation shall be approved by means of Rector’s decree within thirty days from the date on which it is submitted to the pertinent Offices.
The documentation or the final summary report of the jobs and the collegial opinions shall be published on the University’s website.
Art. 9 – Convocation of the selected applicant
1. Once the procedure has been completed, the Department’s Board, within 60 days from the date on which the selection documentation is approved, shall propose to the Board of Directors the convocation of the selected applicant.
2. The convocation shall be approved by the Board of Directors by means of resolution adopted with the absolute majority of its members.
Art. 10 – Appointment to the position, salary, rights and duties
The winning applicants’ appointment to the tenured position shall be ordered by means of Rector’s Decree in compliance with regulations in force on the subject of hiring in the public sector.
They shall be entitled to the following wages, in accordance with Italian Law 240/2010 and Italian D.P.R. 232/2011:
full-time position: - annual starting class salary, pre-tax: Euro 30,544.10
- special annual supplementary bonus, pre-tax: Euro 10,426.11 - additional annual check, pre-tax: Euro 6,447.03.
Rights and duties shall be those set forth in the legal provisions in force concerning the juridical nature of teaching personnel.
Art. 11 – Restitution of documents and publications
The restitution of publications submitted to the U.O Gestione Procedure Concorsuali e Selezioni (Office for Competition and Selection Procedures) at the address of Via Dei Caniana, 2 - 24127 Bergamo shall take place, at the applicants’ request, upon expiration of the terms of any appeals provided there is no ongoing litigation.
After six months expire from the date of Rector’s Decree approving the documentation, this Administration is no longer responsible for retaining and giving back the documentation filed with the pertinent Offices.
The publications of the winners appointed to the tenured position shall be filed with the pertinent Department.
Art. 10 – Processing of personal data
The personal information collected will be processed according to the provisions of art. 18 of Italian Legislative Decree no. 196 of 30th June 2003, as subsequently amended and supplemented, in compliance with the criteria of fairness and transparency, and exclusively for the purposes for which such information was collected with the aid of paper,
computer and electronic instruments, adopting all suitable measures in order to guarantee its security.
The same information shall only be disclosed to the public administration directly interested in the legal-economic position of the winning applicants.
Art. 11 – Person in charge of the procedure
The person in charge of the comparative evaluation procedure of this announcement is Natalia Cuminetti D5 Administrative – managerial area at the U.O. Gestione Procedure Concorsuali e Selezioni (Office for Competition and Selection Procedures), located at the address of Via Dei Caniana, 2 - 24127 Bergamo, fax 035/2052862, e-mail email@example.com.
Art. 12 – Final provisions
For anything not contemplated in this announcement, Italian Law 240/2010 as subsequently amended shall apply, along with the University’s Regulations governing the convocation procedure for full and associate professors pursuant to the provisions of Italian Law 240/2010, University rules currently in force and rules on the subject of access to public administration jobs.
This announcement is published on the Italian Official Gazette 4th Special Series – Competitions and exams, on the website of MIUR (Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research) and on the website of the European Union, pursuant to art. 18, paragraph 1 letter a) of Italian Law 240/2010 in the form of a notice, and in the Official Notice Board of the Università di Bergamo – http://www.unibg.it/struttura/struttura.asp?cerca=ateneo_albo. The full competition announcement and the sample application forms shall be
published at the following web address: http://www.unibg.it/struttura/struttura.asp?cerca=bandi_ufficio.
For additional information and detailed rules, please contact the General administration services, U.O. Gestione Procedure Concorsuali e Selezioni (Office for Competition and Selection Procedures) – located at the address of Via Dei Caniana, 2 - 24127 Bergamo, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org tel. 035/2052.876, fax 035/2052.862.