Japan Internationl Cooperation Agency (JICA)’s Long-Term Training
Initiative for Youth
What is “ABE Initiative”?
• The ABE initiative was introduced at the 5th
International Conference on African Development (TICAD
V) in 2013 as for supporting ongoing dynamic growth in the
countries in the African continent with stronger
• Tunisia start participating in this Initiative from the 2nd
batch (enrollment in Japanese universities in September
2015) whose selection process begins in August 2014. At
this moment, Tunisia is also invited to participate in the 3rd
batch (enrollment in September 2016) and in the 4th
(enrollment in September 2017).
Particularity of ABE Initiative
• The ABE initiative aims at strengthening the Human Resources in
African countries as a future business partners with Japan. For
achieving this objective, the following programs are arranged along
with the Master’s Program in the Universities in Japan:
1. OBSERVATION TOURS AT JAPANESE PRIVATE COMPANIES:
At the time of arrival in Japan, JICA organizes several observation tours of Japanese private companies who are interested in the business with African countries and are cooperating with JICA for the successful implementation of ABE Initiative. The
participants have an opportunity to observe how Japanese companies manage and execute their business in what kind of environment.
2. INTERNSHIP PROGRAM AT JAPANESE PRIVATE COMPANIES:
During their stay in Japan, the participants have to join the Japanese private
companies as internship from two weeks up to six months. The timing of internship can be selected during the vacation period of universities or after the graduation, depending upon their progress of study and/or availability of Japanese companies.
For Whom Exactly?
1. Person from Private Sector:
Young individuals who are or will be involved in economic activities in the
Tunisian private sector, maintaining and developing strong ties with Japanese enterprises, or trying to create the business relationship with Japanese
2. Government Officials:
Young government officials or civil servants who take in part in formulation and/or implementation of policies related to industry, business environment, infrastructure development, and human resource development especially in industrial sector.
Young lecturers or instructors in higher education and technical and vocational training centers who are in charge of training human resources for national economic development.
4. Young Researchers:
Young researchers in higher education or research institutes who are engaging/ willing to engage in promoting the valorization of their scientific research
• Nationality: Tunisian • Age: 22 and 39 years old
• Education: Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent to at least 16 years of academic background) • Working /practical experiences:
- For the government officials and educators,
at least 6 months of working experiences at their current organizations.
to obtain the permission for application and securing reinstatement from their current organizations. - For person from private sector and young researchers
It is preferable that candidates have some practical experiences at the working places as interne or trainee.
• English language proficiency:
All the program of ABE Initiative will be conducted in English. Thus, the competency in oral communication as well as in reading and in writing to complete the master’s course is required. • Clear understanding of the objective of ABE Initiative/ This program is for contributing to the economic and industrial development of Tunisia as well as to strengthen the linkage between Tunisia and Japan. • Others:
-Both physically and mentally fit for the program
-Not receiving or planning to receive a scholarship offered by other foreign organizations -not serving in the military, weapon, and nucleus handling.
Fields of Study for Tunisian Candidates
• For Tunisia, the core fields of study for ABE
Initiative are as below in accordance with priority
area of bilateral cooperation:
Especially those related to economic infrastructure
Including fisheries, biotechnologies, environmental
sciences, natural resources
3. Economics/ Business Administration:
Especially those related to business management,
administration, policies for business environment
Duration of ProgramResearch Students 6 months* Master’s program 1 to 2 years Internship 6 months**
Total period : 1 year in minimum up to 3 years in maximum
*Upon the decision on the side of University
** 2 weeks up to 6 months at maximum after the Master’s program. Participant takes his/her internship period during the academic vacation seasons if permitted.
Expenses to be covered
Tuition Each Semester
Living Allowance Every Month
Air Fee Twice (arrival and return)
Outfit allowance Once
Preparation Allowance Once
Moving Allowance (lump-sum payment for rental contract)
Books Once a year
Interior Research Once a year
How to Prepare for the application?
1. Application period : August 1 to October 20, 2015, at 16h30 in JICA Tunisia office both by postal services or by direct submission. All the application forms arriving after this time and date cannot be accepted by any reasons.
2. Application Documents: • Application Form
• Undergraduate Degree Graduation Certificate (and if applicable, Master’s Degree Graduation Certificate)
• Academic Transcript for all the academic years during the undergraduate programme (if applicable, those during the Master’s degree Program)
• Letter of Recommendation by your Government, Embassy of Japan, JETRO, JICA, or Japanese enterprises.
• Copy of ID with Photo (Passport is the most preferable) • 8 ID photos (4cm x 3cm)
Important Reminder 1:
• How to select the universities?
For the selection of university, go to
as well as the internet site of university you selected.
The link to universities database for ABE Initiative
Important Reminder 1 (continue):
Choose the field of your study or write the keyword for search
The list of universities. Please go to each link for the details.
This is the very important step in order to select the universities who provides
the course of your research theme. Some professors accept the inquiry via
mail. Thus, we strongly recommend the potential applicants to click the link of
Important Reminder 2:
• Try to fill in the application form by typing directly in word document. It is strongly
recommended to avod writing by hand. Remember, professors should read a number of application forms from all the countries in Africa despite their tight schedulle. Accordingly, if it is very difficult to read, they might avod reading such an application form.
• A letter of recommendation is not an obligation. However, in terms of objective of ABE Initiative, an applicant with a letter of recommendation may be treated preferably.
• Try to give the information/explication as specific as possible. Especially, your research plan is one of the essential part of examinig your candidature to ABE Initiative.
• Application which lacks necessary document at the preli;inqry process of bqsic screening of the documents submitted may not be considered as the valid application. Therefore, an applicant who missed necessary documents at the time of application may be disqualified before the 1st selection.
• All the documents written in Fench/Arabic should be translated in English attached with
notarized copies of the original document. The translated version should be certified as original by the authority.
Screening Checking the application documents 1st
Written exam: English (TOEFL) and Mathelatics (see the example question available
http://education-japan.org/africa/index.html ) 2nd
selection Interview by Representatives of JICA Tunisia Office
selection Documents screening by Professors of Japanese Universities
Interview by Professors of Japanese Universities via Web Conference System