Installing PowerLink on Windows 7 64-bit
Version 1.0, Code No. 20 751 806
1 Introduction ... 3
2 Installing Virtual PC ... 3
3 Configuring Windows XP Mode ... 5
4 Installing Powerlink to Virtual XP ... 8
5 Run PowerLink software for the instrument. ... 10
6 Appendix: Running PowerLink with USB-to-Serial converter ... 12
6.1 Installing USB-to-Serial converter ... 12
6.2 Configuring USB-Serial Converter ... 16
2 Installing Virtual PC
1. Open Virtual PC download link: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual- pc/download.aspx. Web page is shown on figure bellow.
2. Select your Windows edition and local language.
Figure 1: Download Windows XP mode web page
3. Click on Download Windows XP Mode. A genuine validation procedure will start.
Please press Continue button and wait until validation is finished.
Please press Continue button, to continue.
4. A download window as shown on figure bellow will appear. Click on Run button.
After download finishes, installation procedure will begin automatically. Please follow installing instructions and install the program
5. Click on Download Windows Virtual PC, shown on Figure 1.
7. Click on Download Windows CP Mode update, shown on Figure 1
8. A download window as shown on figure bellow will appear. Please press Open. After download finishes, installation procedure will begin automatically. Please follow installing instructions and install the program
9. After installation is finish, you need to restart the computer
3 Configuring Windows XP Mode
1. Start the program Windows XP Mode from the start menu:
2. License agreement will pop on the screen.
3. The next thing is to configure a password. Windows XP Mode uses a preconfigured user account within the virtual machine. Windows 7 uses this to log into the virtual machine automatically whenever it needs to run an XP-based application.
4. Set up Automatic updates by clicking on Green button.
5. Windows configuration will be started by pressing on »Start Setup« shown on figure bellow.
6. With this configuration complete, the system image is built and then started. During this lengthy process, a series of screenshots describe how Windows XP Mode is actually used.
6. When it's all complete, a Windows XP desktop will be shown.
4 Installing Powerlink to Virtual XP
1. Insert Metrel CD with PowerLink into your computter 2. Click on My computer and then open CD-rom drive
3. Run file power.exe and install Powerlink. Install wizard will guide you through installation procedure.
4. After installation finishes, you can run PowerLink through start menu
5 Configuring PowerLink
1. Select Port from Config pull-down menu.
2. Select correct COM Port (the same as USB Serial Port in device manager window) and Baud Rate 115200. Click OK.
3. You can start communication with the instrument by clicking download button in software. Instrument must be turned on and connected to a PC.
Note: Once installed, PowerLink can be started directly from Windows 7 Menu, as shown on figure bellow
6 Appendix: Running PowerLink with USB-to-Serial
6.1 Installing USB-to-Serial converter
1. Turn on the instrument, and connect instrument and PC with USB cable.
2. Click on USB menu on Windows Virtual PC, and select USB-to-Serial controller
3. Next screen will show on your desktop.
5. Make sure that the Search for the best driver in these locations is selected and Include this location in the search is checked. Click Browse.
6. Select USB map on your CD (with USB-to-Serial drivers), and then click OK.
7. When you find USB map on the CD click Next.
8. Hardware wizard found correct driver file.
11. Make sure that the Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) is selected and click Next.
12. Make sure that the Search for the best driver in these locations is selected and Include this location in the search is checked. If the target map is not the same as the first time complete the same procedure as in the first driver installation. Click Browse and select USB map on your CD.
13. Hardware wizard found correct driver file.
14. USB Serial Port was installed successfully. Click Finish.
6.2 Configuring USB-Serial Converter
4. Check driver installation by opening Control Panel.
17 5. Double click System icon.
6. Select Hardware tab.
7. Open Device Manager.
8. Instrument must be turned on, set to USB communication and connected to a PC with USB cable.
Important: The Ports (COM & LPT) section must show installed USB Serial Port (COMX). X must be number between 1 and 6. If it is, write down a COM port number and
19 10. Open Port Setting tab.
11. Click Advanced button.
12. Chose unused port between COM1 and COM6.
21 13. Confirm selection with OK button.
14. Refresh Device Manager Window.
15. USB Serial Converter must also be installed in Universal Serial Bus Controllers section.
Now set PowerLink COM port to the same number as set in Device Manager / Ports (COM
& LPT) / USB Serial Port driver.