PhD Program in Nursing
The major purpose of this PhD program is to prepare PhD nursing scholars with
expertise in selected substantive areas, where nurse scientists will contribute to
innovative and effective ways to study nursing care, disease prevention & health
promotion, improve nursing education system and promote research, at all levels of
health care delivery.
To prepare a competent independent, mature and all round nurse researcher who
will pursue an academic or clinical career.
To encourage development of creativity, analytical thinking, critical analysis and
innovative problem solving.
To make significant intellectual contribution to the body of knowledge in the field
of nursing and provide innovative solution to the day to day problems faced by
nurses in their professional careers.
To prepare scholars who will evaluate critically the research studies in order to
assess the quality and applicability of research findings in handling the patient
care management problems.
Participate in Inter-sectoral approaches and utilize the recent technology and
standards in prevention of disease & promotion of health.
SYLLABUS FOR ENTRANCE EXAMINATIONPh. D. Programme in Nursing
Note: Major four subjects have been included for preparing entrance test for PhD in nursing.
Weightage given to each subject is equal for all i.e. 25 marks for each. List of reference books is given at the end of each subject.
SUBJECT 1: FOUNDATION OF NURSING & ADVANCE NURSINGTopics:
Philosophy of Nursing & Nursing practice
Brief History of development of nursing profession
Concepts essential for professional nursing Quality assurance & quality control in nursing
Nightingale’s Theory, Henderson’s Theory, Roger’s Theory, Peplau’s Theory, Abdella’s Theory,
Orem’s Theory, Johnson’s Theory, Neuman’s Theory, Roy’s adaptation Theory, King’s Theory, Health Belief Model
Theory development process
Health care delivery system- National, State, District and local level-in brief Critical thinking in nursing
Technology for nurses and patients to improve care
Evidence based nursing practice
Trends in nursing, futuristic nursing REFERENCES:
1) Julia B. George, 2011, Nursing Theories, Sixth ed., Pub. Pearson
2) Merilyn E. Parker, 2007, Nursing Theories & Nursing. Practice Second ed., Pub. Jaypee 3) Ruth F. craven, 2009, Fundamentals of Nursing (human health & function), 6th ed.Pub.
4) Anne m. Barker, 2010, Advanced Practice Nursing First ed. Pub. John & Bartlett 5) TNAI, 2001, History and Trends in India, Pub. TNAI
7) Barbara Kozier, 2009, Fundamentals of Nursing, Eight ed., Pub. Pearson 8) Potter & Perry, 2009, Fundamentals of Nursing, Seventh ed., Pub. Elsevier
9) TNAI, 2009, Fundamentals of Nursing (Manual), Pub. TNAI
SUBJECT 2: RESEARCH Topics:
Overview of research process.
Conceptualizing research study- research question, research problem & paradigms, research hypotheses.
Review literature – Importance, purposes, sources.
Developing a conceptual context. Theories & conceptual models.
Designing Quantitative studies.
Enhancing rigor in Qualitative research. Research approach and design.
Designing ethical research
Sampling – probability & non probability sampling, sampling techniques, sample size, probability and sampling error.
Tools & methods of data collection – Types, validity , reliability of tools, procedure for data collection
Analysis and interpretation of data – quantitative & qualitative ,data presentation, statistical analysis,
Reporting and utilizing research findings- communication of research result. Critical analysis of research reports and articles.
Principles of Statistics and applicability of different statistical packages REFERENCES:
1. Denise F Polit & Bernarlette P. Hungler, Nursing research Principles & Methods, 6th ed.,
2. Denies F. Polit & Cheryl Tatano Beck, 2006. Nursing Research: Principles & Methods, 7th edition.
Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
3. Suresh K Sharma, 2011, Nursing Research & Statistics, Elsevier
4. Rose Marie Nieswiademy, 2009, Foundation of Nursing Research, 5th ed., Pearson
6. Nancy Burns & Susan K. Grove, Understanding Nursing research 2nd edition ,Elsevier
7. Research e-gyan methodology. by IGNOU.
SUBJECT 3: EDUCATION & NURSING EDUCATIONTopics:
Philosophical Foundation for Excellence in nursing Management strategies in the educational setting Using latest technology in nursing education Learning resources
Assessment and Evaluation Strategies -Program Assessment and Evaluation, Course assessment.
Standardized & non standardized tests :
o Essay, short answer questions & multiple choice questions
o Rating scales, checklist, objective structured clinical/ practical examination.
o Differential scales, summated scales, sociometry, anecdotal records, attitude scales, critical incident technique.
Curriculum development: curriculum models.
Role of boards/ University, INC, State nursing councils for maintenance of educational standards.
Achieving Excellence in Nursing education – Transforming nursing education, Promoting
excellence, Innovation, Evidence based nursing education, Shaping a future Vision for nursing Education.
1. Barbara A. Moyer, 2008, Nursing Education, Pub. Jaypee
2. J.J. Guilbert, 1991, Educational Handbook for Health Personnel, Sixth ed., Pub.CBS 3. Loretta E Heidgerken, 2010, Teaching and Learning in Schools of Nsg., Third ed.,
4. Francis M. Quinn, 2008, Principles & Practice of Nursing Education, Fifth ed., Pub. Nelson Thomas Ltd.
5. KP Neeraja, 2009, Textbook of Education, Pub. Jay pee
SUBJECT 4: NURSING MANAGEMENT & ADMINISTRATIONTopics:
Administration- Philosophy, elements, principles & scope of administration.
Management - Concept of management, Functions of administration, Planning & control, Co –ordination & delegation, Theories & models of management
Disaster management: Plan, resources, drill.
Human resource for health and Nursing – Philosophy , Personnel management Delegation of authority and responsibility
Collective bargaining – Health care labor laws, unions, professional associations Performance appraisal- tools, confidential reports, formats, management, interviews. Discipline- constructive vs destructive discipline, disciplinary proceeding enquiries. Self evaluation-peer evaluation, patient satisfaction, reviews.
Leadership Concept, Styles leader behavior, group dynamics
Laws & ethics – Code of ethics & Professional conduct, Medico legal issues
Nursing informatics- E-nursing, telemedicine, tele nursing, electronic medical records, management information and evaluation system (MIES).
1. Sakharkar B. M .(2008). Principals of Hospital Administration,. Pub. Jay pee .
2. Dr. Goel S. L, Dr Kumar .R. (2007), Hospital Administration and Management (Theory & Practice), Deep & Deep Publication.
Perspective), Sixth ed., Pub. MC Graw-Hill.
4. Anita W. Finkelman, (2009), Leadership and Management in Nursing, Pub. Pearson
5. Lucita Mary,(2007),Nursing Practice and Public health Administration, Second ed., Pub. Elsevier 6. Carolyn Chambers Clark,( 2010), Creative Nursing Leadership & management ,Pub. Jones & Bartlett.