Organization of Islamic Conference Standing Committee on Scientific & Technological Cooperation
Inter- Islamic Science & Technology Network
The Mission and Objectives of INOC
Mission : is to play the catalyser role to foster closer cooperation among the islamic countries in the field of development and management of marine resources.
to facilitate the exchange of scientific data and information and the transfer of knowledge resulting from marine scientific research and maintain continuing dialogue with member states on the development of Ocean services;
to set-up and maintain a data bank on the developments on the marine sciences and related services, taking into account national interests of the subscribing countries;
to collaborate and cooperate in the areas of common interest with a view to help each other in building up the national capability of the member states in the development of the exploration and exploitation of the marine resources;
to initiate joint projects of research and development, help member states in the training of quality manpower and render consultancy and advisory services in the field of oceanography;
to maintain liaison and develop partnership with other similar organizations of the word.
Member states at present are composed of the
following 18 OIC countries:
• Algeria, Bangladesh, Cameroon, Indonesia,
Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Malaysia,
Mauritania, Morocco, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia,
Senegal, Syria, Tunisia , Turkey , Turkmenistan.
• Observateur: North Cyprus.
INOC Executive Council members (2009-2013)
President : Prof. Orhan USLU / Bahçeşehir University, Istanbul-TURKEY.
• For Arab states: Prof. Amir IBRAHIM, High Institute of Marine Research, Tishreen University, Lattakia / SYRIA
• For Asia: Dr. Vahid CHEGINI, Iranian National Center for Oceanography, Tehran, I.R. IRAN
• For Africa : Dr. Hamet Diaw DIADHIOU, Centre de Recherche Océanographiques de Dakar / SENEGAL
Executive Director: Prof. Abdelouahab CHOUIKHI, IMST- Dokuz
INOC Scientific Committee
President : Dr. Hratch Kouyoumjian ,Lebanon Members :
• Dr. Djamel Eddine ZOUAKH, ISMAL, Algiers-Algeria .
• Prof. Mohammad Zafar, University of Chittagong, Bangladesh.
• Prof. Samia Kamel Mikhail , National Institute of Oceanography and
Fisheries, Alexandria, Egypt .
• Prof. Dr. Ahmed Savari , Department of marine biology, University of
marine science and technology ,Iran
• Dr. Birane SAMB, Centre de Recherches Océanographiques de Dakar
Thiaroye , Dakar/Sénégal
• Dr. Mohammad Khaleel Al-Zibdah , Marine Science Station (university of
Jordan-Yarmouk University) Aqaba-JORDAN.
• Dr. Assad Ahmed Al-Thukair , King Fahd University of Petroleum &
Minerals, Dhahran 31261, Saudi Arabia
• Prof. Hamza-Chaffai Amel , Sfax University-IPEIS,09-03, IPEIS, BP
• Prof. Dr. Hüseyin Avni Benli , Dokuz Eylül University, Institute of Marine
Sciences and Technology, Izmir, Turkey
• Dr. Kemal Can Bizsel , Dokuz Eylül University, Institute of Marine Sciences
Training courses & Research projects
Project on Vermetid terraces in South
Training courses on marine taxonomy
Observing and assessing ecosystem
changes in the Levantine Sea”-
International Workshop MED 2000 on “ Education, Research and Technology for Fisheries and Aquaculture in the Southern and Eastern Mediterranean“, Izmir / TURKEY, 4-6 July 2000;
International Workshop on “ Marine Biodiversity in the Islamic countries“, INOC- Algerian Ministry of Fisheries, Algiers/
ALGERIA, 22-24 October 2001;
International Workshop on” Mediterranean Vermetid Terraces and the Status of Lessespian Migration “,INOC- National Centre of Marine Science of Batroun, Beirut / LEBANON, 19- 21
International Workshop on “Marine Pollution and the Impacts of Seawater desalination plants on the coastal environment”,
International Workshop on ”Marine & Coastal Protected Areas”, INOC-University of Meknes , Meknes-Morocco; 23-25 March
International Workshop on “The protection of Coastal & Marine Environment“, 09-11 November 2005, Izmir-Turkey.
International Conference on coastal Oceanography and
sustainable marine aquaculture-Confluence Synergy”, INOC-Borneo Marine Research Centre/University Malaysia Sabah, 02-04 May 2006 , Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia,
International Seminar on” Coastal water management & sustainable use of marine resources”, INOC –Centre de Recherche Oceanographique de Thiaroye Dakar-Senegal, 14-16 November 2006.
International Conference on” Rapid urbanization and land use
conflicts in coastal cities, INOC- Universities of Jordan & Yarmouk, 30 October-01 November 2007, Aqaba- Jordan.
International Conference on “ Modeling and Monitoring of
Marine pollution, INOC- Iranian National Center for
Oceanography (INCO) , 01-03 December 2008, Kish Island-Iran.
International Workshop on "Integrated Coastal Zone
Management”, INOC- Marine Institute of marine Science & Technology/ Dokuz Eylul University, 20-22 October
2ème Colloque international “ Biosurveillance & Ecosystème
Littoraux – BEL 02 ”28 - 30 Novembre 2010, Oran – Algérie.
International conference on " Biodiversity of the Aquatic
environment: towards a diverse and sustainable world» Lattakia, Syria, 13-15 December 2010.
International Symposium on
“Marine Ecosystems ,Natural Products and their Bioactive Metabolites”
25-27 October 2011 Bogor, INDONESIA
Bogor Agricultural University
Faculty of Fisheries & Marine Science INDONESIA
InterIslamic Science and Technology Network on Oceanography -TURKEY
Focal points of INOC
• Algeria: Ecole Supérieure des Sciences de la Mer et de l’Aménagement du Littoral (ESSMAL), Algiers
• Bangladesh : Institute of Marine Sciences and Fisheries, University of Chittagong, Chittagong
• Egypt : National Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries , . Cairo
• UEA : Marine Resources Research Centre Umm Al- Qaiwine, Dubai
• Indonesia : Indonesia Institute of Sciences, Research and Development , Centre for
• Iran : Iranian National Center for Ozeanograph , Tehran
• Irak : Marine Science Centre , University of Basrah, Basra
• Jordanie : Marine Science Station , Aqaba
• Liban : Centre National des Sciences Marines- CNRS , Batroun
• Libya : Marine Biology Research Centre , University Al-Fateh, Tajura
• Malaysia : Borneo Marine Research unit , University Malaysia Sabah, Kota Kinabalu ,
• Mauritanie : Institut de la Mer et de la Recherche Océanographique ,Nouadhibou
• Maroc : Institut National de Recherche Halieutique , Casablanca.
• Pakistan : National Institute of Oceanography , Karachi
• Saudi Arabia : Faculty of Marine Science, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah
• Senegal : Centre de Recherches Océanographiques de Dakar Thiaroye - Dakar/
• Syria : Marine Research Institute , Tishreen University, Lattakia
• Tunisia: Institut National des sciences et Technologie marine, Tunis